Stuvetjee

REVIEW: Newest Rolex Daytona 116520 JF Factory [pic heavy]

remco

I wonder do noob , BK and JF use the same timebomb movements or is there a quality difference?

Are the newer timebombs a bit more improved or are the still the same?

RUSH2112
I wonder do noob , BK and JF use the same timebomb movements or is there a quality difference?

Are the newer timebombs a bit more improved or are the still the same?

The issue is the modification to move the seconds not where the movement comes from.

remco

I get the point, but maybe one can do an better job then the other.

And maybe they have done little improbements in the newer timebombs?

vapplebomb

I have heard JF does the 3 jewel mod to the AP ROO sec@12 models...anyone knows if there is a chance JF does that to those sec@6?

remco

MR has a noob Daytona 2003 for only 218 dollar, for that amount I would like to try a timebomb, if the quality isn't less the quality of the newer timebombs.

CedricWX
The rehaut is still a little too deep, (as is the case) and the clasp isn't quite right as there is a curve to the gen and the Rolex crown doesn't overlap the edge on the gen. But all that is nitpicking, it looks great. I have 4 seconds at 6 and they are all still running and keeping excellent time, so I wouldn't worry.

How long have you had your four sec@6 ? Really interested in getting this one! Am on the fence coz of the reputation of the movement...

I have to be honest, and say the movement issue is very real. The 4 I have are still running fine, but everything I read here is valid. The extra gears, no jewel in the seconds. gear, the friction issue, missing oil to reduce drag, all of that means the life of the movement has to be limited. It is a question of time. I bought 4 so I could rotate them, giving each less work. I do have a gen, so I can easily compare them, and that's the weird thing. The faux chrono cheapies, are the ones that look most like the gen. The rehaut is not deep, and the dials are accurate - but of course the movement is not chrono so that's already a compromise. Also the centre hand that is normally the chrono hand is also running seconds (as well as the running seconds at six)

For me there is only one satisfactory answer, - buy a vintage Daytona rep with seconds at 9. The gen did run seconds at 9 and used the Zenith El Primero movement, but when Rolex developed their in house movement they moved the seconds to 6.

Clasp: Gen is two tone

20150118_174537_zps160e6766.jpg

Rehaut depth:

20150118_174818_zps5f28b71b.jpg

Case thickness and shape:

20150118_175438_zps17f3577c.jpg

Stuvetjee
The rehaut is still a little too deep, (as is the case) and the clasp isn't quite right as there is a curve to the gen and the Rolex crown doesn't overlap the edge on the gen. But all that is nitpicking, it looks great. I have 4 seconds at 6 and they are all still running and keeping excellent time, so I wouldn't worry.

How long have you had your four sec@6 ? Really interested in getting this one! Am on the fence coz of the reputation of the movement...

I have to be honest, and say the movement issue is very real. The 4 I have are still running fine, but everything I read here is valid. The extra gears, no jewel in the seconds. gear, the friction issue, missing oil to reduce drag, all of that means the life of the movement has to be limited. It is a question of time. I bought 4 so I could rotate them, giving each less work. I do have a gen, so I can easily compare them, and that's the weird thing. The faux chrono cheapies, are the ones that look most like the gen. The rehaut is not deep, and the dials are accurate - but of course the movement is not chrono so that's already a compromise. Also the centre hand that is normally the chrono hand is also running seconds (as well as the running seconds at six)

For me there is only one satisfactory answer, - buy a vintage Daytona rep with seconds at 9. The gen did run seconds at 9 and used the Zenith El Primero movement, but when Rolex developed their in house movement they moved the seconds to 6.

Rehaut depth:

I think your seeing this rep wrong with gen. The daytona you have is the 2003/2004 model. This rep is replicated from the 2014 daytona.

Here a pic of the gen clasp:

GEN:

656ce7abc6c10142f22fd7507e715932.jpg

MY REP:

9c6daea3cebc3c7830521a9058ef18e6.jpg

As you can see its almost spot on. As for the rehaut, they are almost identical. Engraving is really closely done as gen... But yeah, rehaut is slightly thinner.

GEN:

0c5b4dbaace148adc47051661c0befae.jpg

MY REP:

4ab5970f8fde7b8c1c3591633e5c203e.jpg

So the "differences" you pointed out are from a older daytona. Not the 2014. The most annoying thing is that every 7750 daytona rep has too long chronopushers compared to gen.

As for the thickness, i completely agree. But thats the A7750 that makes it a thicker watch

mosa786

stunning!

Kemist

Stuve, what do you think about this new improved movement? Do you know if it is any different compared to the bad 7750Second@6 that we've always heard about?

Stuvetjee

Stuve, what do you think about this new improved movement? Do you know if it is any different compared to the bad 7750Second@6 that we've always heard about?

Well, its still the same "29J Improved" which is not improved at all.

She still runs like a dream though! Only +10 sec. a day!

1cebc5f02af0ff1456d745403e7e16e8.jpg

GenTLe

The so called "improve" is limited: they basically skeletonized the wheel that is running without jewel in order to make to have less friction. Still it's not a "solution".

Stuvetjee

The so called "improve" is limited: they basically skeletonized the wheel that is running without jewel in order to make to have less friction. Still it's not a "solution".

+1.

Contacted Domi about the jewelmod @6. He said he quitted working on them cause it was not a reliable mod to do. Some daytonas worked great, others broke months after.

He is still doing the freezing @6 though, but it would annoy me not to see the seconds running.

Kemist

Thanks for the info guys.

GenTLe

If I'd ever get one of those movement I'd like to try to spray a thin layer of dry teflon on the gear and its running slot to see if it can fix it longer and less messier than the graphite mod. :)

Stu, has Domi a mail which sounds like wilervetta@.... ? I am wondering if I have already contacted him without knowing he is THAT Domi :)

Martijn0007

If I'd ever get one of those movement I'd like to try to spray a thin layer of dry teflon on the gear and its running slot to see if it can fix it longer and less messier than the graphite mod. :)

Stu, has Domi a mail which sounds like wilervetta@.... ? I am wondering if I have already contacted him without knowing he is THAT Domi :)

I've contacted Domi a few months ago about his famous mod for a a7750 Daytona. He told me that he's stopped doing them.

GenTLe

I've contacted Domi a few months ago about his famous mod for a a7750 Daytona. He told me that he's stopped doing them.

Hi Marty. I was asking for something totally unrelated to the jewel mod: I only want to understand if the Domenico I know and contacted times ago for a different thing is the same Domi modder well considered here un the fora, based on the mail address I have used :)

Martijn0007

Hi Marty. I was asking for something totally unrelated to the jewel mod: I only want to understand if the Domenico I know and contacted times ago for a different thing is the same Domi modder well considered here un the fora, based on the mail address I have used :)

Ah okay. When I contacted him I used this e-mail adress: wilerwetta@...

Looks like you've the correct one.

(changed the e-mail...)

Edited by Martijn0007

GenTLe

Uh, don't put the mail in clear on a forum: it will kill it with spam...

So he is him! Good to know. He is Italian as well (I wrote him in my native Italian language and he replied in It too) :)

If I got it right he is living in Germany (or France) now, isn't he?

THXuk

I wish I had not sold on my old daytona seconds at 9 from the good old days of reps, but this does look real nice.

I picked up an IWG with seconds at 6 and the choppiness of the second hand drove me nuts it was like watching a timebomb waiting to go off.

I would love to see a little video of how smooth yours is.

Stuvetjee
I wish I had not sold on my old daytona seconds at 9 from the good old days of reps, but this does look real nice.

I picked up an IWG with seconds at 6 and the choppiness of the second hand drove me nuts it was like watching a timebomb waiting to go off.

Here mate, made a macro video :)

https://vimeo.com/117094560

SSTEEL

Loving this Michael, I plan on getting one myself soon :) I already have an old one which is coming up to four years old now, and whilst it still works, its starting to become a little jerky now, so when I get this new one, I will dissect my old movement and see if the sec@6 can be improved on it.

Martijn0007

Uh, don't put the mail in clear on a forum: it will kill it with spam...

So he is him! Good to know. He is Italian as well (I wrote him in my native Italian language and he replied in It too) :)

If I got it right he is living in Germany (or France) now, isn't he?

Germany, yes.

When I talked to him, he had a hard time understanding my (poor) English.

Stuvetjee
Loving this Michael, I plan on getting one myself soon :) I already have an old one which is coming up to four years old now, and whilst it still works, its starting to become a little jerky now, so when I get this new one, I will dissect my old movement and see if the sec@6 can be improved on it.

Please let me know your updates about the @6. There must be a way to make it reliable right?

You saw the vid i made of my at 6 above? What do you think? Too jerky?

THXuk

Here mate, made a macro video :)

https://vimeo.com/117094560

excellent, thanks

CedricWX

Rehaut depth:

Thanks for that Rolex Addict! very interesting. Means that rep at least has an accurate bracelet for a 2002 Daytona (which mine is - you are correct) Also, that rep has a jerky minute hand - again useful info from this thread - means it may be on the way out. I will keep it wound to see how long it takes.

Edited by CedricWX