Sign in to follow this  
JohnG

New easier ETA clone identification

JohnG

A new easy tell has been spotted on the clone ETAs. The Incabloc Novodiac-style balance wheel jewel seat/retainer has a single slot for the retainer ring, whereas the gen Novodiac seat has three slots... It is often hard to see whether the click wheels have eight holes (clones have four) but this is an easy tell once you know what to look for:

Gen: BKLM cites the shape of the Novodiac retainer spring as evidence of the authenticity of the movement, but in fact he is wrong... What makes this movement a gen is the fact that the jewel seat has THREE slots for the installation of the spring...

2009-01-10025.jpg

Gen with old (non-Novodiac) Incabloc retainer (clones never used this retainer spring)

eta2824.jpg

Clone: see SINGLE slot - this is never seen on genuine Novodiac seats...

Swiss-or-Asian2.jpg

BKLM calls this one a clone because of the retainer spring shape - but below I posted a pic of Novodiac retainers - their shape does vary and this is not proof - the proof is in the number of slots the the jewel seat:

2009-01-10013.jpg

As can be seen from this shot from Otto Frei's website, the Novodiac can be both "more curvy" or "less curvy"...

shockinginca.jpg

oscarmadfish

thanx john

AllergyDoc

:bugger off:

The things we have to know to avoid getting ripped off.

jdavis III

Good and useful information John G. Thanks for the nice photos and clear explanations which make this easy to follow.

greg_r

And John gets another sticky - seriously useful info there. Thanks! :bugger off:

sticky.jpg

KinCaidk

Great info.

Thanks John.

omni

Great info, thanks.

NFleischer

thanx alot john. i also read that the big silver wheel(whatever you call it) on a gen tends to be brushed finish

whereas the clones tend to be shiney. chris fro eurotimez posted a thread about that last year @ RWG2

JohnG
thanx alot john. i also read that the big silver wheel(whatever you call it) on a gen tends to be brushed finish

whereas the clones tend to be shiney. chris fro eurotimez posted a thread about that last year @ RWG2

Yes he did post that but something Ziggy posted once seem to cast doubt on that as an indicator. I don't remember what he said exactly but he didn't seem convinced that was a reliable indicator... Ziggy did however mention the novodiac (or Kif in that case) seat and at the time I didn't understand what he was talking about...

Luthier

Genuine ETA 2834-2 on my Rolley DD TT, with new Incabloc 176.03 spring, and it has more holes on wheel.

oscarmadfish

nice to see ya Luthier :lol:

Luthier
nice to see ya Luthier :lol:

Liar.

:lol:

sconehead

Don't be such a stranger next time Luthier...welcome back... :lol:

greg_r

welcome back Luthier :lol:

JohnG

Welcome back Luthier!

beachfunn22

Great Information!

othniel888

Anybody else notice that the 3rd photo used to show the "single slot" says 2824-2 on the movement (at about 8 o'clock position). (The second photo says 2824-2 on the rotor as well) I don't know if that matters or not????? Someone please enlighten us further on this point. Is the 2824-2 the version before the 2836 or ???? I'm still a bit of a newbie on these finer details. Thanks!!!

Edited by othniel888

wat44

this info is probably out of date - several people with a keen eye have been not able to tell newer clones from gen