Sign in to follow this  
Mr Stubbs

PAM Welded Lug - My first build, how hard could it be?

Mr Stubbs

After admiring the Panerai welded lug prototype for quite some time, I saw that our trusted dealer River offered a w/l case set. I'd removed movements and fixed minor issues in the past, but this would be my first build requiring separate purchase of movement, dial parts and case.

How hard could it possibly be? That's a rhetorical question; the quick answer is very hard. Also very time consuming, educational and rewarding.

This is River's welded lug case set. Check his sub-forum for more details and pricing. His package includes a very nice "volcano dome" crystal, a case with welded lugs and blasted finish, a clear or solid steel back, a movement holder for the make of your choice, a crown, spring-loaded lug pins and an unfinished dial face with minute & hour hands. It does not include the movement, dial feet, dial back or strap. First pics include the strap gottahaverolex made for me. The completed pics show the strap I made.

river1_zps8b23dc0e.jpg

I ordered River's kit with the 6497 movement holder. It arrived in less than two weeks. It's a work of art. I ordered a 6497 swan neck movement from Jackson Tse. That took a couple weeks longer and provided my first lesson: Like everything in this hobby, patience is key.

Here's my test fitting of the movement into the holder:

IMG_0971_zps6c06e092.jpg

Next step was trial fitting into the case:

IMG_0965_zpsfdf6d9fe.jpg

There's protective plastic over both crystals in these photos. I have the Brevet crown screwed on with no stem. The factory stem which requires cutting and fitting is in the top right corner. The stem was the most difficult part of the project. Removing it from the movement requires turning out the movement's release screw in increments of less than a quarter turn. Turn it out a wee bit too far... as I did... and you have to reset the keyless works. I had to do that twice! :unsure:

IMG_0969_zpsf8c8412a.jpg

Trying to keep it simple, I went with two brass dial faces back to back, to show raw brass numerals. I didn't have a two or three piece dial set and this seemed like an inspired choice; until I realized I had no dial feet to attach it to the movement. Oops! :unsure: I made-do with adhesive dots to mount the dial(s) on the movement. The text was stamped into the brass. I filled it with oil pastel (white crayon is recommended) and melted it in, then wiped away the residue. I've worn & wound the watch constantly for two weeks, and so far it's been 100% reliable. I don't have the stem at the optimal length yet, but I'm taking a breather in the meantime.

IMG_0998_zpsa3b83e83.jpg

I made the strap from an old leather belt. The buckle is torched for some nice gold and blue tones. Maybe overdone but it looks cool.

IMG_1012_zpsc8ee4ee1.jpg

After a week of evenings and about $350 I have something unique that I can take some pride in. You can buy a better rep with less fingerprints at a much better price, but improving your skills by doing it yourself is priceless. :)

IMG_0996_zps694fe3d7.jpg

IMG_0991_zps3f912b08.jpg

IMG_1013_zps56f2e2b3.jpg

robznet

Beautiful watch and great post - thanks for sharing (and improving your skills in the process)!

Gazzla

Outstanding! And I admire your patience . . .

25kDRsR.gif

court

Well done all round looks great at I bet it gives you a better feeling having built it yourself

Mr Stubbs

Outstanding! And I admire your patience . . .

25kDRsR.gif

Thank you, I sincerely appreciate that!

andyboy

Great job

There is a lot of satisfaction in building your own.

:clap:

Mr Stubbs

Beautiful watch and great post - thanks for sharing (and improving your skills in the process)!

Thanks very much. I didn't realize how much I had to learn until I was well into it!

Well done all round looks great at I bet it gives you a better feeling having built it yourself

It really does. Thank you!

Mr Stubbs

Great job

There is a lot of satisfaction in building your own.

:clap:

That's quite a compliment coming from you, Andy. Thank you! It was very satisfying.

:beer2:

BadPickle

Looks really smart mate, its really good for the soul too, creating something from just a few parts.

Go steady with trimming the stem, I've cut a few too short, the trick is to cut a little too long, then file :thumbsup:

Top marks stubbsy :D

Gazzla

Is that a pube at 7?

:rofl:

IMG_0998_zpsa3b83e83.jpg

2hot2trot

What a superb outcome.

You should be very proud of yourself.

Way out of my league at the moment but very inspirational.

Wear with a smile on your face. :notworthy:

Mr Stubbs

Is that a pube at 7?

Oh great, now I need to crack it open again! :facepalm:

2hot2trot

Is that a pube at 7?

IMG_0998_zpsa3b83e83.jpg

If thats your pube at 7, this project must have stressed you too much... :giggle:

Mr Stubbs

Is that a pube at 7?

If thats your pube at 7, this project must have stressed you too much... :giggle:

Frazzle

Wow great work buddy!!

Timebandit

A great build, the dials looks amazing.

Have you painted and lumed it by yourself ?

Great job

Greetz

Uwe

Mr Stubbs

Wow great work buddy!!

Thanks Frazzle! I appreciate that!

A great build, the dials looks amazing.

Have you painted and lumed it by yourself ?

Great job

Greetz

Uwe

Thank you sir! Yes, I painted it myself, and I'm grateful for out of focus photography. :) The lesson I've learned from this build is "humility". I have a great respect for those who make watch smithing, leather work and vintagizing look easy.

corsa

Brilliant watch, and a credit to you.

I can feel a Welded lug case on my horizion... Oh dear..... :thud: