Sign in to follow this  
herbva

Which AP 15400 Should I Buy?

herbva

I’ve owned just about every diver & sport watch made at one time or another and now (thanks to you guys) have the itch to try an AP 15400. I’ve been obsessing over what all the TDs have to offer and want opinions on the best option – Miyota 9015, A2824, A23j unspecified movement, and one TD is offering an ETA 2824-2. I see quite a range in prices that don’t seem to make much sense. I’ve read numerous reviews and the current model with the Miyota 9015 seems quite nice (as long as the bezel had been correctly installed). The last watch I had with a Miyota wasn’t that great – I remember the movement didn’t hack and the seconds hand sweep was not smooth. So, I have to assume the 9015 is a much improved movement. I would greatly appreciate your views on which one I should buy and from whom. Thanks guys!

GenTLe

+1 for the original question. I am pretty confused too about the so many 15400 models around...

To the op: Miyota 9015 is a 28.8kBPH hacking second movement, in pair with an ETA 2824. Only annoying thing is the rotor which is a bit noisy in its rotation (like the other old Miyota 82xx you have already had).

By the way, the 15400 gen movement (cal 3120) is currently a 21.6kBPH, so the most gen choice would have been the old Miyota or a different movement with that frequency but hacking sec.

Dr. Jimmy

I've got both the Miyota and the 2824 versions. I prefer the Miyota due to it's thinner case, although the overall finish is better on the 2824.The rotor is noisy on the Miyota, and the AR sucks on both of them.

MikeAlmighty

MiyotaMiyota

herbva

Is that the A2824 or the Gen 2824 with the "better finish" (post by Dr. Jimmy 2 above)? Toro's site has the "Best Edition" Miyota 9015 for $438, the "Best Edition" A2824 for $438 and the Swiss ETA 2824 for only $388. The Swiss ETA is not annotated as "Best Edition" and the case size is indicated as 41X11mm, which is 1mm thicker than the other 2. I'm wondering if the Swiss ETA is an older model or perhaps the case and/or bracelet don't match the quality of the other 2, hence the lower price? This seems counterintuitive to me - I would expect the Gen ETA to be more expensive. I'm inclined toward the Miyota 9015, but I am somewhat leery of the noisy rotor issue. I know, I'm getting obsessive about this, but I want to pull the trigger on the right one.

wdev

You should forget about Swiss, those ETA's are at best "comprised" of Swiss parts but normally you're better of with an Asian ETA.

In this case your choice is between Miyota (reliable mvmnt plus pretty finish with noisy rotor as a setback) or Asian (as I recall not so pretty/normal mvmnt but equally good and reliable)

As to case finishings, that should be your main concern, you tend to look at those quite often ;) Search a bit, there are quite a few topics on this : http://www.rwg.bz/bo...showtopic=91781

Dr. Jimmy

Is that the A2824 or the Gen 2824 with the "better finish" (post by Dr. Jimmy 2 above)? Toro's site has the "Best Edition" Miyota 9015 for $438, the "Best Edition" A2824 for $438 and the Swiss ETA 2824 for only $388. The Swiss ETA is not annotated as "Best Edition" and the case size is indicated as 41X11mm, which is 1mm thicker than the other 2. I'm wondering if the Swiss ETA is an older model or perhaps the case and/or bracelet don't match the quality of the other 2, hence the lower price? This seems counterintuitive to me - I would expect the Gen ETA to be more expensive. I'm inclined toward the Miyota 9015, but I am somewhat leery of the noisy rotor issue. I know, I'm getting obsessive about this, but I want to pull the trigger on the right one.

Mine is the alleged Swiss 2824 with the thicker case. Finishing isn't bad, but I think the Miyota dial looks better. I wouldn't worry too much about the Miyota rotor noise, it's not that bad.

peteins

Buy this one...

http://www.torobravo...product_id=1226

It's the most attractive and classy colour combination in my opinion, simply stunning!!!

DC

+1 ... I have thought about buying one of these but just not got round to it yet, however if i were to buy an AP, this would indeed be the one!

Chrisby

hTjEc46.jpg

Already posted this pic in another thread today, but I'd go with the AP15400 in RG.

I bagged it in the VIP upgrade. The full RG look is far too much bling for me. But I've been thinking about getting a chocolate brown croc for it. Because it would look on a whole new level.

I feel an email to Dan coming on for one of his AP straps....

I don't have any idea what movement is in it. Although the rotor is silent and it is decorated, I believe.

kennycoder

Twins are now selling the same 15400 with Miyota for 288 USD. Somehow way cheaper than other dealers dunno why.

Realism

Twins are now selling the same 15400 with Miyota for 288 USD. Somehow way cheaper than other dealers dunno why.

old stock? got a deal? plenty of reason.

Just like how plenty of other dealers can't match Toro's UN $99 special and so on...

kennycoder

old stock? got a deal? plenty of reason.

Just like how plenty of other dealers can't match Toro's UN $99 special and so on...

Yea most likely some kind of a deal or some "chinese-made" stock :P Still, jokes apart I think 288$ is a very good deal.

watchworm

Currently looking for a good 15400, Toro version looks good but the price is a bit high for me.

As to the twins' Miyota movement the price is really good, but I think old stock as Trusty's photos appear to show a rectangular date window while Toro's

shows a square one which I think is like gen.

Edited by watchworm

Daywatch

Currently still considered the best is the expensive 10mm thick Myota. Easily recognizable by the 3 center screws on the movement plus engraving on the movement itself (not only on the rotor). There is a bit of confusion created, because several new and cheaper Myota versions have been released as a J12 version too, which qualitywise are not the same. All of these do not have the engraving on the movement itself which is the distinguishing factor (apart other differences on the screws, dial , logo, etc,).

The "lite" version at only $208 is not worth getting, everything is different.

The BP maker "Swiss ETA" version is 11mm thick with nice sunken screws and was the best before the Myota was released. The upgrades are well worth the +$60 in price.

Phanphy

Currently still considered the best is the expensive 10mm thick Myota. Easily recognizable by the 3 center screws on the movement plus engraving on the movement itself (not only on the rotor). There is a bit of confusion created, because several new and cheaper Myota versions have been released as a J12 version too, which qualitywise are not the same. All of these do not have the engraving on the movement itself which is the distinguishing factor (apart other differences on the screws, dial , logo, etc,).

The "lite" version at only $208 is not worth getting, everything is different.

The BP maker "Swiss ETA" version is 11mm thick with nice sunken screws and was the best before the Myota was released. The upgrades are well worth the +$60 in price.

Thanks heaps for the detailed response! I've heard the BP is pretty much as good as it gets