_DC_

THE DC REVIEW: Patek Philippe 5227 Calatrava

avc0002

you seem to be a Patek fan. haha

_DC_
Here is a 19x18 strap on the bay, but cant vouch for quality as i only found out about it

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=321416518911

Looks pretty good to me, would work if you got the stainless steel version, I need a rich chocolate brown for the rose gold though!!

DC

Martijn0007

DC my friend! Thanks for the great review as always.

After reading the review I think this is gonna be my next watch ;)

Enjoy the watch! And please make sure to post some pics when the new strap arrives :D

_DC_
you seem to be a Patek fan. haha

Haha, what ever gave you that impression?!

DC

SackOHammers

Great review. Thanks for taking the time.

I've taken a closer look at the 5227 that I got a week before you did. No officer's caseback.

My watch has different dimensions.

Width is 41.6mm

Thickness is 11.3mm

The band is 22/18. Quite a bit larger than yours and gen.

For me, I don't feel like I'm missing the officer's caseback. Personal preference.

What I'm curious about are the subtle differences in the details on the dial between the one in your wonderful review and the one I received. Things like:

Hand shape (the angle of the crease down the center of the hands)

Size and shape of the hour markers

Dial color (mine is much darker)

Trim around the date window, etc.

I'm also curious about the fluting in the lugs. I noticed this on both listings so I knew what I was getting into before I even asked for QC. But I'm picky. The fluting or "scoops" in the lugs is not uniformly done on each four lug. Nobody is ever going to notice. But it does nag at that certain part of my brain.

I'm working on a proper setup to take nicer photos. These pictures are a total shit show (not enough light, no tripod, etc). Better to look at the thread here:

http://www.rwg.bz/bo...l=&fromsearch=1

IMG_2531.jpg

IMG_2532.jpg

myaz

This review was a pleasure to read and your love of the brand shows through. I could read stuff like that all day long. Thumbs up.

lfovco

That was a really great review and pics. You are totally making me get one!!! Thank You!

Vbmrk

Really nice looking watch and fantastic review.

One question - how are the engravings on the rotor and movement vs the gen? Seems to be a bit off from the pics, but I could be wrong.

The wife has been wanting a bullet proof calatrava for some time now. This might be the one!

Zachthebaker

DC I have always loved your taste in watches, and you have convinced me to purchase this one!

nyckid

Fawk off :zachthewanker: :wanker:

Bash64

This is one fantastic review! Great job and great watch

GenTLe

Width is 41.6mm

Thickness is 11.3mm

The band is 22/18.

At this point it would be interesting to share your and DC dealers, in order to permit the people to go for the version (bigger or gen like) they prefer :)

nunu78

Awesome write up my friend. Thanks a million time.

_DC_

Width is 41.6mm

Thickness is 11.3mm

The band is 22/18.

At this point it would be interesting to share your and DC dealers, in order to permit the people to go for the version (bigger or gen like) they prefer :)

Mine came from Puretime but is available from several other TDs too, his was a one of offer from WatchFinder that I don't believe they are offering any longer, they have now sourced the same one as I have and are offering that instead!!

DC

GenTLe

I have seen a PP offering from Tim (FatPanda) this or last week in his area. Sooner or later... Also the last Piaget with sunray effect dial is such a temptation...

_DC_
I have seen a PP offering from Tim (FatPanda) this or last week in his area. Sooner or later... Also the last Piaget with sunray effect dial is such a temptation...

Yes Tim is offering this watch too now!!

DC

SackOHammers

There is a direct link in my last post (right above the poor pictures) to Tim's listing of the watch. I would encourage someone to go there rather than look at my pictures. Much more detail in his.

He offered it on special right before Christmas. My guess is he knew that these new ones were coming in and the new ones had the officer's caseback. Probably a smart play to get rid of any of the older ones he had around. All speculation on my part, of course, but if I were a saleman trying to manage my inventory, that might be how I would have done it.

Also, the more keen (bored) may have noticed a flaw in the dial that I previously mentioned on another thread. Around 7 o'clock to 9 o'clock, the hour markers fall out of sync with the minute markers. Exemplified in the photo below.

Again this is not the watch DC has reviewed in this thread. This was purchased from a different TD and has other differences.

2.png

Eto33

Love it thanks for The review gonna order my first PP now :)!

lef808

Thank you for that review! Truly a spectacular looking watch!! Quick question.....how well does the date functionality work? I saw the video and it looked a little flimsey. Does it actually switch over from day to day automatically or do you need to flip it manually?

Thanks in advance!!

_DC_
Thank you for that review! Truly a spectacular looking watch!! Quick question.....how well does the date functionality work? I saw the video and it looked a little flimsey. Does it actually switch over from day to day automatically or do you need to flip it manually?

Thanks in advance!!

It's a well put together 2824 movement so date complication functions flawlessly, ticks over to the next day probably between 23:58 and 00:02 I'd say, not instant but pretty quick!

Got her on today...

9FF9C7EF-5E20-4788-AC2F-D2A12BE63B7C_zpsdmhkmv9o.jpg

Still needs a decent strap and I've found one that will work, but could only afford one strap this month (they're £130 a pop) and the 5131j got first call!!

DC

lef808

Nice quandry to have...decide on whether to purchase a strap for the 5131 vs 5227? Decisions,decisions!!

I will say the 5227 looks exceptionally dashing under your herringbone jacket! I hope you can post your opinions on the strap you decide on.

frapzzor

I consider myself somewhat of a lurking fanboy and I have to say great review! your posts about Patek has actually goten me to consider geting a few and especially thisone for my bachelor graduation

Stay classy!