Sign in to follow this  
Bliew

Converting a PAM to a brushed finish

resistor
Hey all!

Now not being that flashy of a person in general, I'm worried that the watch will be a little too much on the shiny side.

I feel the same way. Have passed off Breits that were way to flashy.

I have no problem with my 390 though. It's a stunner, and not remotely ostentatious.

Great to hear. I had to sell off an Avenger because of the flash, but its comforting to know that! I guess we'll find out when it gets here :P

The Seawolf is one of the least flashy Breitlings, which is why I bought it! I do intend to re-brush the bezel and maybe parts of the case to make it look more tool-watchy.

Red Scotchbrite has never failed me but I'm thinking of looking into some more professional tools/methods for a nicer finish. Just make sure your strokes are made in a straight line and all in the same direction. The best thing about brushing metal is that it's difficult to screw up...if you don't like the results, simply re-brush or polish the undesirable areas.

Bliew

The Seawolf is one of the least flashy Breitlings, which is why I bought it! I do intend to re-brush the bezel and maybe parts of the case to make it look more tool-watchy.

Red Scotchbrite has never failed me but I'm thinking of looking into some more professional tools/methods for a nicer finish. Just make sure your strokes are made in a straight line and all in the same direction. The best thing about brushing metal is that it's difficult to screw up...if you don't like the results, simply re-brush or polish the undesirable areas.

The Seawolf is one of the more subtle ones (probably my favorite Breit next to the SOSF), but the Avenger (Chrono version of the SW) was just way too much unfortunately. Fully polished save the bezel....couldn't really handle for a watch that was supposed to be a tool watch :(

I actually ended up with red scotchbrite after trying the blue. For some reason red gave it a more distinct brushed look than the blue which I definitely preferred. Will definitely try it on the next watch that gives me too much bling haha

Bliew

I ended up playing around with mine the other day and this is how it came out. I think I can still do a bit better on it but for a little bit of work I like it.

IMG_0580_zpsc55e0322.jpg

IMG_0579_zpsa5c68e16.jpg

I actually think that looks great...the closest Luminor Marina I could find with the brushed look and tobacco was the old PAM056's and the other one...but unfortunately those rep's aren't really updated

In search for a new PAM390 to try this out :)

Skrimps

My only issue is that when I did it, it was hard for me to go in a constant direction around the bezel. Some parts of it look not uniform and that drives me crazy. I think this weekend I am going to sit down and try to redo the entire thing and see how it comes out.

resistor
My only issue is that when I did it, it was hard for me to go in a constant direction around the bezel. Some parts of it look not uniform and that drives me crazy. I think this weekend I am going to sit down and try to redo the entire thing and see how it comes out.

Sometimes it's easier to grip and move the workpiece rather than the buffing media. Obviously this would be easier with the bezel removed from the watch, but try to grip the bezel itself and move it in a circular motion against the Scotchbrite.

resistor

The Seawolf is one of the more subtle ones (probably my favorite Breit next to the SOSF), but the Avenger (Chrono version of the SW) was just way too much unfortunately. Fully polished save the bezel....couldn't really handle for a watch that was supposed to be a tool watch :(

I actually ended up with red scotchbrite after trying the blue. For some reason red gave it a more distinct brushed look than the blue which I definitely preferred. Will definitely try it on the next watch that gives me too much bling haha

Ahh gotcha. Some fully-polished Breitlings are just too much. I don't think I have any highly polished watches, except for certain areas on Omega cases...I like to fly under the radar.

Genius

Sometimes it's easier to grip and move the workpiece rather than the buffing media. Obviously this would be easier with the bezel removed from the watch, but try to grip the bezel itself and move it in a circular motion against the Scotchbrite.

I initially tried to do it with the bezel on the watch and was making a right pigs ear of it.

Once I popped the bezel off it was easy I just held the pad in place and rotated the bezel on it

Skrimps

Can you remove the bezel on a 390?

Genius

I would think so it was easy enough on my 299 and its the same (luminor) case. Just got a case back opener knife in underneath and popped it off. Some tape over where you are levering it is a good idea to stop you scratching the case

Skrimps

Going to give it a shot tonight. Read on another forum that there is a notch at the 10:00 that allows you to pop it off. I kind of see it on mine so fingers crossed I don't muck it up.

Genius

Good luck hopefully works out well, getting it back on its a bit of a pain I didn't realise I had to seat the gasket inside the bezel prior to pressing it back on.

So you start pressing it with the watch face down so press the watch into the bezel not the other way round if you know what I mean

Skrimps

Want to walk me through how you did it and save me a bit of headache? I assume it looks like this?

111J_bezel.jpg

Genius

Yep that's basically it, so hold the bezel against the pad and then spin the bezel until it looks right.

Then putting back together the nylon gasket fits inside the bezel then you kind of slot the watch into the bezel

Genius

I got it mostly pressed back into place just using my hands just squeezed with my fingers but not fully on. To get it fully pressed and level I pressed against the leather writing pad in an old desk I have in my office

Skrimps

Sweet. Going to give this a try in a bit. Will let you know how it goes. Thanks for the help on this.

Skrimps

Weird, I could not get my bezel off to save my life. I did end up denting the hell out of it though so that sucks.

Genius

Shit mate sorry to hear that. Mine was a little bit harder to get off than it was on my TC sub but that was just because there's less clearance under the bezel as its fixed not rotating, once I got the caseback knife under the the bezel it just popped off. Have a word with the TD you got it off after CNY and they should be able to source a replacement bezel, once you have a spare in hand you will be less worried about damaging the one you have so may be able to get it off? If not there's always the trusted (or non trusted) watchsmiths on the board that can help. Really hope you get it sorted mate, I'm feeling a bit guilty encouraging you to go for it

Skrimps

Nah, no worries on the digs on it. Not really a watch I wear very often and has somewhat become my "test" watch for trying things on. For some reason I could not get the case knife to fit under the bezel. I am going to take some sandpaper and see if I cant smooth the dings out and then just go back over it with a pad to make it brushed again.