UK Watch Services

My opinions on various reps - a watchmakers point of view.

<RJ>

Thanks for the info!

Chr1st0c

Nice post Alex...

Have you seen the omegas with the stripped crown / tubes? Mine stripped after exactly 2 months. Is it the crown or the tube that is the problem ?

Want to see if local watchsmith can fix it, but I need to get the correct parts. Apparently you can get the crown as spare parts, but not the tube...

Any usefull info you can share would be appreciated

C

northantsrich

Good post. Thanks

Irishcain

Hello , nice Information ! What can you say about tourbys? Im a Little Bit worried if they broke, where to go for repair :/

I dont work on these, my guess would be they would be a right pain, I'm not speaking from experience there though.

I've had one of these come across my bench and they are a tremendous pain. Don't blame you for not working on them, I don't either. Great post!

Laguna2008

Thanks a bunch for enlightening us!

Fracture

What do you think about the 2836 with added gmt complication? Same story as the regular 24/36 or more trouble because of the added non-eta designed gmt function?

SW20

Hey guys,

Im new to the hobby and I've been lurking doing as much reading as I can. Now I ended up pulling the trigger on a pumpkin PO, because I loved the look. You mentioned that the POs are some of the worst reps, would that be true in the case of the Miyota 8205 movements?

porkman65

Thank you for taking the time to post that info Alex.....fascinating indeed.

I would just like to take the opportunity here to comment about Alex's work. Alex has fixed and serviced a couple of my watches and the standard of his workmanship is truely superb. If you have a watch and you know it's a keeper then treat it to the service it deserves and send it to Alex. It's amazing how "smooth" and "slick" (pardon my piss poor description) your watches are once serviced correctly.

I will be in touch soon Alex as I have a couple more watches which will be requiring your magic!

Matt.

MUSH

Great post, worthy of a sticky

gtwc

Great informative post Alex - glad Del promoted you to 'sticky status'.

BTW my JLC NSD that you worked on some while ago is now more or less my daily

beater - never misses a beat, as reliable at it comes.

Thanks a million.

Wish I had the skill-set or knowledge to perform tricky surgery like this.

More power to you !

nick_hifi

Great article!

not_finbar

Really insightful piece, thanks. It's confirming my plans to buy (another) Rolex...

Mechwarrior
Alex, I reckon that a miyota 8205 will be a direct swap into most 21j rep using dg2813? And they will be clean and reliable.

Any views about those reps using the 9015/8205 miyota out of the box?

A Miyota 8215 is not a direct swap. That is an unfounded rumor that was proven wrong by Katt.

I Changed right now a dg2813 (bad as usual) with a miyota 8215 without any problem ( dial feet, crown height,, movement spacer, hands holes all are fine)

plankton

Great post! Thanks....

DBTimeOut

This is why I prefer my rep Chronos in Quartz despite the major flaw of ticking seconds in a small dial.

Paulw100

In the process of buying a SOHC 7750, think you may get a service job from me when it arrives. Do you do luke aswell?

black263

In the process of buying a SOHC 7750, think you may get a service job from me when it arrives. Do you do luke aswell?

Who is Luke Aswell?

Realism

Who is Luke Aswell?

i think he wants some lube as well - anal is painful w/o some lube ya' know

rusty peters

I hear Luke has an ass to die for.

jaychizum

Even is the Asian eta 2836 is waterproof, dealers never really say how far down. I mean I'm not planning to deep sea dive with a sub or gmt rolex rep, but it's nice to know if I do go swimming how far or how many times I can do so without actually having anything water logged. In saying this, will my watch be cheap to fix if it isn't "that waterproof"? Not so sure because I've never really bought reps, mostly gens...

black263

Even is the Asian eta 2836 is waterproof, dealers never really say how far down. I mean I'm not planning to deep sea dive with a sub or gmt rolex rep, but it's nice to know if I do go swimming how far or how many times I can do so without actually having anything water logged. In saying this, will my watch be cheap to fix if it isn't "that waterproof"? Not so sure because I've never really bought reps, mostly gens...

Before you do anything, have a WR test done. It isn't expensive. I'm in UK and my local Timpsons does a vacuum test up to 100metres for a donation in their charity box. Problem is that only tells you if the case is watertight. You also need to consider the strap/bracelet. Are the springs in the springbars corrosion resistant? Similarly, are the bracelet pins stainless steel, and if you have a clasp with push buttons, what about the spring in the clasp? For these reasons, even though tested to give me some assurance in the event of an inadvertent wetting in a thunderstorm, my reps never go anywhere near water.

esla

Glad I read this before I got in too deep into the rep world

diarrheamouth

hi

bravo.

great effort

kaudio

Great post thsmks

gb57

Great job, very informative!!!