UK Watch Services

My opinions on various reps - a watchmakers point of view.

turnercr

Dear Alex. Thanks for a really good insightful article which I am sure I will refer to many times in the future. It seems that the whole problem is not the design (or mostly even the manufacture) of Chinese movements but good old quality control. It is true that Chinese companies can provide a whole range of goods that are engineered as well as any in world but at a price of course. I hate to admit it but I am old enough to remember the Japanese manufacturing invasion of the 60's and the misconceptions that were spread around then. So the trick would appear to be to invest in some clean assembly areas and protocols. After all, not many of us will dis a Japanese watch these days. Anyway, thanks again. Clive.

GenTLe
Great post mate! i have recently started doing my own mods, mainly WBK subs, with basic DG 2813/2814 movements. When i am fully confident of my capabilities, ill try moving to those movements you mentioned.

Actually 2813 are more difficult than a 2836/2824 Asian clone. 7750 instead is similar difficulty level but it has MANY more parts to deal with and some of them are a pita to mount correctly (i.e. the autowind bridge, the oscillating pinion or the hour counter reset spring).

grumpyguy

Would you be familiar with the 51110? It seems to show up quite frequently on chronographs but I've been unable to find much info about it.

Lejla

Thank you Alex for a very informative post.This is very interesting post,great job.

Lakdeuz

Thanks for taking the time.

Sneaky Pete

Great info Alex, thank you!

What are your thoughts on the A3135 and Swiss 3135? How would you compare these to what I believe is the fairly robust 2836?

DodgerBlues

This is a great read, thanks for posting!

SecondHelpings

Well that sure puts a new spin on my decisions. Thanks for the info

Edited by SecondHelpings

aliveandwell

Thank you for your experience and your point of view...

jacquesmtm

Thanks for the useful guide.

sabiom3

Thanks for the info! Now I need to learn how to service my reps..

Martijn85

Thanks for your insight

Citrite2017

Great read, thanks

Aquanautilus

Thank you Alex for sharing your experiences and opinions...appreciated!

Ciri

Accidentally let my younger cousin play with my A7750 Chopard Millle Miglia (Chrono reset incorrectly). Trying to find a rep friendly watch smith who can fix it/service it has been.. difficult.Expensive lesson learned!

As pretty as they can be I would stay away from rep chronos

Globalequity75

Thank you for this very interesting topic !

Would somebody know a good watchsmith (for reps) in France close to Paris where I live for having my TC sub 16610LV engraved between lugs like gen ? That means to have a period serial number and gen markings ?

Thank's for response.

darksnider

I'm having a problem with the movement for Tudor Black bay zf for which way to go, and now I'm making up my mind.

Thank you for your thread, very helpful.

oceansize67

"Next the Omega Planet ocean reps - non chrono.

I would say these are amongst the worst of the reps and for a 2824/36 they can be a real pain"

Wish I'd read your post before placing my order. My Planet Ocean lasted 1 day.

joegut

Hello Alex!! Great thing the forum have people with your knowledge and experience with replica watches. Some of the replicas look really great and it's really a shame some of them dont even reach destination working properly, but looking from my perspective watchsmith labor it's not so expensive in Mexico, so I can play a little with those great looking broken ones. I see Ofrei in USA has some Gen Eta movements 2824-2, would you ever consider retooling in order to upgrade those great looking watches with dg2813 dead?

k2efy

Great write up,ill be getting a a7750 but i did think of getting it serviced,this post just makes it a dead cert that a service would be a good thing to do,thanks for your time in a good prospective from a watch maker

Lowflyermike

Hey Alex, thanks for the info. As a noob here myself I am completely blind. I have an on Sub I bought from China along time ago, maybe 10 years and it still runs. But now I'm in the market for a better quality DSSD. What mods are available to really make it a much better quality watch? Can they be water proofed to a pretty good depth? Say to 30 feet actual depth. Thanks, Mike

tomtom1988
Hey Alex, thanks for the info. As a noob here myself I am completely blind. I have an on Sub I bought from China along time ago, maybe 10 years and it still runs. But now I'm in the market for a better quality DSSD. What mods are available to really make it a much better quality watch? Can they be water proofed to a pretty good depth? Say to 30 feet actual depth. Thanks, Mike

Grease the seals, gaskets and get it pressure tested, with this done all should be fine, if it's properly tested it will be water resistant, regardless of rep or gen

The astromaster

Great thread

splke
Great thread

You have been acting like a wank stain for a while now! You fucking bored or somat

WatchDog21
Great thread

21578450766_15928eb5b1_o.gif