Sign in to follow this  
myaz

"Brilliant: Cartier in the 20th Cent." Visit to the Denver Art Museum.

myaz

I took my Santos rep to an exhibition at the Denver Art Museum. It contains more than 250 pieces of jewelry, timepieces and precious objects produced between 1900 and 1975. Most of the items are from the jeweler’s “Cartier Collection,” with items on loan from other museums and private collections.

Cartier was founded in 1847 by Louis Cartier and is known for its jewelry, Art Deco and Tutti Frutti styles, also notably the panthère motif built upon by Jeanne Toussaint who was director of the luxury jewelry department in the early 1930s. It competed with Fabergé until it was nationalized in 1918 by the bolsheviks and the Fabergé family fled Russia. The long list of clients includes royalty and celebrities.

Cartier's watches are also very well known. They were boosted by the introduction of the 1st mass produced wrist watch after an example was made for friend aviator Alberto Santos-Dumont, pocket watches not being practical to use for timing during flight operations. Edward Jaeger started to produce movements exclusively for Cartier in 1920. The Baignoire and Tortue (introduced 1912) then the Tank (1917) are still in production today.

So let's get to what you really want to see:

MLTIMG003_zpscgsmvqvq.jpg

Top left: wristie next to a Santos

Top right: open case back of pocket watch

Bottom left, clockwise from top: articles with built in watches. Cuff links (one is a compass, the other a watch, the crown is flush with the back of the cufflink and can be discerned on the bottom link), a belt buckle, a money clip and a men's utility pocket knife.

Bottom right: Men's jewelry....WTF? The Patiala Necklace for Maharaja Bhupinda Singh (1928), about 1,000 carats.

MLTIMG001_zpstri7g5rw-1.jpg

Various clocks: Turtle Clock, Carp Clock (1925) with retrograde hour hand, and oriental clock with "Mystery Clock" hands. Cartier produced only a few of these and they are the most valuable. The hands are seemingly floating and not connected to visible gears. The gears are actually hidden in the frame and the hands are affixed to rotating clear circles.

MLTIMG002_zpsihq0sahj-1.jpg

And finally, notice the diamonds inlaid in the hands of the green vermeil desk clock, an egyptian clock inspired by Napoleon's campaign to Egypt and the fad that ensued and a chinese style clock (front and back views) on a carved jade panel. There are 2 dragons, one is the hour hand on the front and the other is in the back where one would normally see the movement.

Hope you enjoyed these baubles for those with too much disposable income.

PhillyRock

I love the artwork aspect of the collection. As far as looks,......

I wouldn't want these on my mantle, unless it was for pure historical

or financial bragging rights.

I love special exhibits like these!!