Sign in to follow this  
kimolaoha

A7750 Pams - To Auto Wind or Not to Auto Wind?

kimolaoha

Hello all -

I have two Pam reps with the A7750 movement - seconds at 9 - date at 3 - no chronometer functions (so I assume the chrono complications have been removed from the movement?).

In any case, and contrary to most experiences that I've read about here, both watches seem to remain running indefinitely when placed on my automatic winders. These are Brookstone Watch Winders (still available from Brookstone.com), but I do not tilt the winder boxes back at 45 degrees as designed - instead letting them sit flush on the shelf so that the watches sit vertically at 90 degree angles to the horizontal shelf with no backwards tilt at all.

While I know that the A7750 only winds in the clockwise direction, I have not changed the previous settings on the winders, so the Pams currently and repeatedly wind two full revolutions clockwise after 60 seconds, then wind counterclockwise twice after another 60 seconds (these are the settings that seem to generally work best for all of my other gens and reps). As currently set, then, the Pams are winding 1440 times per day in each direction (2880 total).

My questions -

1) Based on the potential reliability issues with these movements, is it better to keep the A7750s on the working winders so that they run 24/7/365, or would it be better to just leave them in a drawer until they are to be worn and then start them back up with a few swirls and set the date with the hands at about 6PM (as per the A7750 User Guide posted here); and

2) If the answer is to keep the watches on the winder, am I correct in assuming that the bi-direction winding (while not actually doing anything in one direction) cannot hurt anything (just keeping it bi-directional allows me to also use the same winders for other watches instead of dedicating two winders exclusively to the Pams).

Would appreciate thoughts from the group.

Thanks

Kimo

Edited by kimolaoha

kennycoder

7750 only winds in 1 direction as far as i can remember... and I think it's clockwise. Also.. I think it's better to store the watch off the winder unless you are going to use it in two or three days.

Irishcain

For most movements, keeping them on a winder won't do any harm at all, irregardless if it's bi-directional or not. However for the a7750, it's best to keep it off the winder even after it's been given a graphite treatment.