Sign in to follow this  
GenTLe

7750 versions balance differences and etachron tool questions

GenTLe

Hi All,

as I'm quite new to this world, I'm not really aware of the various evolutions of the movements.

One of the things I noticed, because I received a partial 7750 from MBK (thanks again!) to use for spare parts, is that there are different balance cocks and hairspring studs & regulator systems around.

a. Can someone tell me something about them?

Second shot of questions: after I've read this: http://www.timekeeperforum.com/forum/threads/adjustment-and-regulation.21105/ I discovered the "EtaChron" system and that these things needs adjustments.

b. Do the bergeoun etachron tools fit the various eta Movements like the 2836?

c. Do they work in the same way?

d. And how to handle these regulation with the a7750 that have only the etachron stud (if it has it at all!)?

For example this is like the one I received (from old Onzenoob post), no etachron at all and different cock shape:

3658354752_a3e02ab88b.jpg

Then there is this (etachron stud, not etachron regulator):

AP-2012-01-16-27-07_enl.jpg

And finally the supposedly gen eta (is this a gen? It's on wiki, but those blue screws...) completely etachron.

Valjoux7750.JPG

Thanks!!

GenTLe

Ah, finally, isn't there around a not crazy priced bergeon compatible tool or they are the only one producing this thing?

Irishcain

Trying to answer your questions in order:

A. Houses created their movements based on their needs, so to a certain extent the way a balance/cock look is immaterial as long as it continues to serve its basic function. Studs were introduced to the balance wheel for regulation based on the idea of centrifical force. They also helped minimize the effect of temperature on metal expansion/contraction. New alloys make this almost unnecessary now. Later, the balance wheel would actuall be split open (gives it an almost closed S shape), again to offset expansion/contraction of the balance. In either case, the inclusion/removal of studs would change the adjustment. The etachron is simply another addition to make adjustment and regulation more finely tuned, similar to the addition of weights to the balance wheel. The same thing can be accomplished by bending the spring certain amounts, but it takes A LOT of practice and patience to get it right (not to mention a significant number of ruined springs).

B. The etachron tool works really well and will fit a number of different movements, but not all of them. I've found that a pair of flat head tweezers with the inner surface ground flat horozontally to the handle with a rubber band to keep them closed works for the rest of them.

C. Yes, they all work basically the same

D. When there is a stud, you use it in combination with the course and fine tune regulator arms. If there is no stud, just use the fine and course arms. When you get a bit more experience, you can adjust the spring itself. Just make sure that you pay attention to the type of coil being used (standard, over, Bruguet, etc.).

SSTEEL

I believe that balance on its own photo is from a low beat 7750. Two ways to tell, firstly, no positioning feet on the underside where you screw it to the movement, and secondly, the beat error stud is cylinder circular shaped.

GenTLe

Loads of info! Thanks irishcan and Micky! :)

Irishcain

By the way, if you're just looking to get the tools, here is what you want to get:

ETACHRON regulator adjusting tool & removing tool #015595 & # 015600

GenTLe
By the way, if you're just looking to get the tools, here is what you want to get:

Yes I have found the bergeon ones on cousin's for 24£ each plus vat... Isn't there a Chinese or Indian version? There is no value for money in those tools, similarly to the crazy priced mainspring winders!

SSTEEL

Loads of info! Thanks irishcan and Micky! :)

:thumbsup2:

Irishcain

Yes I have found the bergeon ones on cousin's for 24£ each plus vat... Isn't there a Chinese or Indian version? There is no value for money in those tools, similarly to the crazy priced mainspring winders!

I've looked and haven't found one yet, though that doesn't mean they're not out there. That's why I ended up settling for the tweezers trick. I may just end up making my own set of them.

GenTLe

Need to contact Walter over eBay to see if there is something in China.

I bet the factories aren't using gen Swiss ones ;)