Sign in to follow this  
rodralph

Worth reparing?

rodralph

I am getting back into the automatic watch game. Almost 10 years ago I purchased a Seiko 7S26 diver's watch. At some point shortly after that, I let my oldest son use it and, as I should've expected, it came back to my not working. I threw the watch in a box and forgot about it. A few weeks ago, I ran into this watch again. It needs to be repaired and there is a local jeweler that can do the repair. I have no idea how much it will cost, and that will be a factor in my final decision.

I would like to repair it, but I've seen many people (not necessarily on this board) that will consider these watches disposable and once they break, they get thrown.

Any opinions?

Realism

Depends on the repair $ Nad sentimental value

rodralph

Depends on the repair $ Nad sentimental value

I agree with you. I may just have to see what they say at the shop and make a decision. I am somewhat attached to it since it was one of the first autos I bought.

Thanks for your comments.

Bash64

It may be much easier to just swap the movement. Which watch is it and which movement?

Daywatch

Swap the movement is the best option. Might even swap a hack- and windable in.

trailboss99

Which model mate? All are worth the effort considering the MVTs are easy enough to either repair or replace but some are valuable to boot. Everyone needs one Seiko Diver's in their life, the only thing tougher is a Ballistic. Mine lives in the bathroom and gets grabbed if I know I'm doing something that will wreck anything else. I have a Ballistic as well but it's a bugger to read so until I change the hands to black (it has silver hands on an orange dial) I prefer the Seiko. The lume is also much better on the Seiko (it took a trip to Goin some time back).

Mwhitetx

I would recommend a mvt swap. I just swapped it the mvt on my Seiko skx007 diver. I picked up a Seiko 5 auto on Amazon for $55 with the same mvt and let D_chico swap it out for me. It was real easy. Potentially you could get it up and running for around a $100.

Here a link to Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006CHML4I/ref=mp_s_a_1_9?qid=1423028454&sr=8-9&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&keywords=seiko

Theduke.williams

The fix could be a very easy resetting of the hair spring, as the 7S26 movement was known to suffer some failures in this area.

I've included a very interesting thread about the 4R36 movement, itself developed from the 7S26, you may enjoy reading this!

http://watcharama.com/the-seiko-4r36-family-in-brief/

Failing that a replacement movement from a Seiko 5 shouldn't work out expensive, as stated by previous members.

Hope this helped.