Sign in to follow this  
jeffrsho

What was your first luxury gen?

baxter

Rolex 16610 purchased for £ 1700.00 and sold a few years later for the same amount to my mate :facepalm: God knows why i sold it i loved it.

Jetpants

First was a speedy moon (2004 model), but currently it's the Slevin:

slevin.JPG

Also worth mentioning, I bought the missus her second gen last week - the tag F1 chrono. She's been wearing the rep for the last 18 months (great rep BTW), gen on left:

tag_f1.jpg

Edited by Jetpants

black263

Never had a watch that cost more than $750. (Gen Longines Hydroconquest Automatic, bought in M2M)

Fretless_Llama

I recently bought my wife a Tag for Christmas from the AD. It is a stunning watch, and she loves it. :)

10168176_10205614847638685_6599834160600387562_n.jpg?oh=916a25b97287541edce428840f1d9947&oe=55548583&__gda__=1431572629_857d92b551b8b06f31afb873ed3d0c8d

Trüffi
I've never owned a "luxury gen", as in a VC, ALS, etc, but I've owned a number of mid-range watches, e.g Omega, Breitling. I believe my first mid-range watch was a 3510.50 Omega Speedmaster Reduced.

Found an old pic:

d0dde965ab7340bf4d0849049bf2028a.jpg

This one is also my First luxury gen watch. Own her now about 13 years. Second was a 116710, but SOLD it After one year...

James.

Lots of gens here but i dont know if any are really high end or "lux"

DJ TT back in 2005. Dont really miss it, twas exciting as tepid poridge

pfcdre

one of my first gens is an Oris Maldives ltd edition.

20130906_162630.jpg

20130810_204417.jpg

I Also have a Tag Aquagraph and a Longines Grand Vitesse, I am lucky enough to have had quite a few midrange watches from many different manufacturers, but now I only have the 3gens and many reps, from experience its only really the movements on some reps that let them down, although I have had reps that keep better time than gens, I started to find it hard to pay 10 times the price of a good rep for a gen that was not 10 times the quality!

Flipper81

Mine was a seawolf avenger. Still have it and always will.

Fretless_Llama

I agree, but the OP stated that the cost had to be over 1 grand. That's luxury for a lot of people :)

In other forums, if it is under 20K its not luxury. All depends on how it's defined.

GenTLe
I'm poor...I haz no gen

+1 here. But differently from Realism I'm not joking :)

Before meeting the high level reps I had an half dead solar Casio (that I still put on when I do hard works in my on building house, like with the demolition hammer), a nice Gerlach m/s Batory and a Junkers Bauhaus. That's all.

Now I have nearly 35 watches :D

James.

I agree, but the OP stated that the cost had to be over 1 grand. That's luxury for a lot of people :)

In other forums, if it is under 20K its not luxury. All depends on how it's defined.

Purely based on entry price, i reckon in 12 months rep APs will be part of this discussion.

Pseudonym
I'm poor...I haz no gen

+1 here. But differently from Realism I'm not joking :)

Before meeting the high level reps I had an half dead solar Casio (that I still put on when I do hard works in my on building house, like with the demolition hammer), a nice Gerlach m/s Batory and a Junkers Bauhaus. That's all.

Now I have nearly 35 watches :D

Rep whore!

Congrats Alex ;)

Jetpants

You know when you're having a house party and there's that one guy who wants to change the music that everyone is enjoying to something HE likes?

That's this guy:

Realism

Purely based on entry price, i reckon in 12 months rep APs will be part of this discussion.

:rofl: -quality must be good for sucha high price huh? :rofl:

James.
You know when you're having a house party and there's that one guy who wants to change the music that everyone is enjoying to something HE likes?

That's this guy:

Life's too short to waste time on shit music

miren7919

The first of the two "luxury" gens I own was a Rolex Submariner. Bought for me by my lovely wife as an engagement present. This was in 2008. Since then I have probably worn it a total of 10 times: the wedding; most anniversaries; a couple of PGA tournaments I have attended. Daily wearing is reserved for reps.

Jetpants

That's this guy:

Precisely. So hands off the Bose fingerboy.

awesome.png

Realism

That's this guy:

Precisely. So hands off the Bose fingerboy.

awesome.png

Bose is crap

ShovelnTC

Have yet to pay over a grand for a watch.

TheTinMan

Mine was a Raymond Weil circa 2002. I don't think I've wanted a watch more than that ever. Looking back it was a stupid amount of money to spend on a quartz. I still have it, but I can't be bothered to photograph it right now, and I can't seem to find a picture of that model online.

RichardMiami

Mine was this Kreiger Tidal Chronometer.. bought for over $1k well over 20 years ago - I still wear it!

20150106132203-X2.jpg

Mike on a bike
yWBM57w.jpgML Pontos diver

Mike on a bike

And QjvJJiH.pngOris TT3

jeffrsho

I figured a grand was a good entry point for price into "lux" watch brands. There are several brands with watches is the 1k- 2k range that are "lux" watches, especially on the secondary market.

It seems like a lot of people opted for a Tag. I assume because of the manageable price point for most. I know for me it was a justifiable amount for a splurge. It's nice to see so many people with a wide selection of reps and gens.

resistor

I figured a grand was a good entry point for price into "lux" watch brands. There are several brands with watches is the 1k- 2k range that are "lux" watches, especially on the secondary market.

It seems like a lot of people opted for a Tag. I assume because of the manageable price point for most. I know for me it was a justifiable amount for a splurge. It's nice to see so many people with a wide selection of reps and gens.

Well, it looks like my opinion of a "luxury watch" may need some adjustment. I never considered Tag, Omega, etc to be luxury, but a couple of watch sites say otherwise: http://www.devonbuy.com/watch-brand-hierarchy/

http://www.chronocentric.com/watches/brands.shtml