Sign in to follow this  
elmerlo

The costs of owning a Gen

Realism

Wrong on several counts.

1. ......... Gen watches can be bought from dealers, from the web, etc. at large discounts.

2. .................. Most of my watches are bought with three year unlimited warranties included. That means at 35 months after purchase, they go in for FREE service.

Rich are you talking about World of Watches and/or Authentic Watches? I had no idea I could send it back to them under the "warranty" for service -stupid me . I always thought it was only if the watch failed CRAP!!!! - stupid me.

I haven't done business with them, but I did have JomaShop repair a watch for me. They were fast, responsive and perfect. And, they paid for shipping both ways.

Yes I forgot to mention Joma. Just so I am clear here was it for a repair i.e something broke, failed, or you just sent it back for service, oil, water test etc...? I may be confused but I thought you were saying you can send it in for service under warranty I never knew that and if that is the case I will be going to Joma on the next gen.

My Nautilus was bought used - had some minor datewheel "getting stuck" issues - off to Patek it went... wasn't an issue - Warranty was transferred

the original owner traded up to a 5980 2 months after having it

chrish8

My Nautilus was bought used - had some minor datewheel "getting stuck" issues - off to Patek it went... wasn't an issue - Warranty was transferred

And Similar to Rich they paid for the shipping both ways? And are you ref to Joma as well or one of the others I mentioned?

Realism

And Similar to Rich they paid for the shipping both ways? And are you ref to Joma as well or one of the others I mentioned?

naw... in my case shipping was on me :rofl:

RichardMiami

not sure about Joma just doing a service for good will. I never tried. But Tourneau will

Pamfan47
not sure about Joma just doing a service for good will. I never tried. But Tourneau will

Richard here is a question for you. I went to Tourneau and looked for a bell and ross which they quoted 3500$. Same watch is around 2350 on authenticwatches.com. Also free shipping and no tax when you buy online? Do you still think I can get the same deal from Tourneau considering 1000 bucks discount and tax?

GenTLe
Back when i was young and foolish (2007), I bought a Gen Rolex DateJust 16200 with a gorgeous Rhodium dial, Roman Numerals and Solid 'no-lume' hands. I think the original warranty was for one year.

It just kept ticking, so i never had it serviced.

(For reference, a 1968 Tudor Rose US Navy Seal-issued 'Submariner' that my father was issued and gave to me has never been serviced and is perhaps the most accurate watch in my collection.)

Three weeks ago, probably due to contamination from reps in the near vicinity, the DateJust stopped running. No incantation or physical maneuver would get it chugging again. So I called my trusty AD with two questions:

1) How much to fix it? and

2) Since the Rhodium dial was difficult to see when I was young and foolish, and now impossible to see since I've become old and stupid, how much is it gonna cost me to get a simple dial change to a nice white with Romans (I have too many blacks) - same as what i have except in white vs. Rhodium.

Answers:

1) $650 for full service which includes stripping it all the way down and putting it back together - 2 year warranty

2) $600 for the dial (I forfeit my original Rhodium dial) and $100 for the new hands

New hands? I ask

Them: Yes, because Rolex will not allow no-lume hands on a lumed dial.

Me: But the White dial with Romans - exactly the same as i have except in white - has no lume.

Them: Oh, Rolex will not allow that dial. Only replacement is the stick dial with lume, which means the hands have to be replaced too.

Me: Lucky I can't see the dial anyway, cause that will make it much less noticeable that the damn things not running.

Perspective: I recently purchased the Gen Seiko Orange Monster (2nd generation) that Ashford was blowing out for $138. I have a 1st generation and it's bulletproof.

For the price of my Rolex repair and dial change, I could have bought TEN of the new OMs.

This is but one of the reasons I'm here.

Rhodium dial is awesome (yes, difficult to read but still beautiful), keep it :)

And make it to be serviced by a good but not official watchmaker. Here in Gallarate (Italy) I have a friend with 15 years of experience on Rolex and Tudors and asks for 120$ for a service, just to give you an idea.

kimolaoha

Nice story! especially for a proud Seiko Monster owner like me :)

I also recently found and jumped on one of these -

http://forums.watchu...ics-880124.html

(not my thread, post or watch though)

Edited by kimolaoha

RichardMiami

Richard here is a question for you. I went to Tourneau and looked for a bell and ross which they quoted 3500$. Same watch is around 2350 on authenticwatches.com. Also free shipping and no tax when you buy online? Do you still think I can get the same deal from Tourneau considering 1000 bucks discount and tax?

No. Tourneau will not price match. What you need to do is find out what their rock bottom price is.. negotiate.

If you have cash on hand (or CC, same thing) then 20% is not unreasonable to ask. That would bring you to about $2800 on that piece + tax. For that you get the B&R warranty, Tourneau backing and B&R box and papers. Some of the on line guys have no papers and sorta-kinda boxes.

But be prepared to buy or walk away. They will respect that. The "I can get it cheaper grey market" is an old line, they will tell you to buy it there.

chrish8

Well thank you very much for the info on Tourneau, I only knew of the 3 listed alreeady so I will look at them for the next gen. Thx.

ag69

Wrong on several counts.

1. Why pay list price for the watch? Almost ALL ADs will discount when pushed. It is the brand boutiques that will not negotiate. Gen watches can be bought from dealers, from the web, etc. at large discounts.

2. Why pay for service like that? Most of my watches are bought with three year unlimited warranties included. That means at 35 months after purchase, they go in for FREE service.

3. Why service every three or four years? If it ain't broke.. don't fix it. Set a minimum time that you are comfortable with (7 years? 10?) and go for it.

There are plenty of reasons to buy gens or to buy reps, but I would tell this dealer to take a hike.

I have quite a few gens and have never taken any of the automatics in for service. Like Richard said, 'If it ain't broke.. don't fix it', is my motto!!

plankton

Wrong on several counts.

1. Why pay list price for the watch? Almost ALL ADs will discount when pushed. It is the brand boutiques that will not negotiate. Gen watches can be bought from dealers, from the web, etc. at large discounts.

2. Why pay for service like that? Most of my watches are bought with three year unlimited warranties included. That means at 35 months after purchase, they go in for FREE service.

3. Why service every three or four years? If it ain't broke.. don't fix it. Set a minimum time that you are comfortable with (7 years? 10?) and go for it.

There are plenty of reasons to buy gens or to buy reps, but I would tell this dealer to take a hike.

Agreed 100%

To service one of these movements is not rocket science. I'd more than trust Vac to do a service or a local "watch maker". With my gens and the way i rotate them through wears I'd have to agree with my friend from Miami and go until they need it, for me thats when they lose time.

Now the Breitling service might run 500 or so but they also detail the watch so it comes back in brand new condition.