Sign in to follow this  
jeffrsho

What would you do?

Kaiser

I would be seriously reconsidering your business partnership with this individual

court

For me it would look like someone trying a bit too hard to impress. Unless his ride is a Bentley Continental, his suits are Anderson and Sheppard and his shoes are Berluti of course and if they are; well different rules apply obviously.

jeffrsho

Lets ask the question in reverse, do you suppose all those Gen Rolex models with diamonds solely sell to rap stars and Medellin Cartel execs

I know that isn't the case, but my business partner is a 43 year old man. I don't see many people his age sporting diamond bezel watches. Actually most people we deal with have a standard submariner or the likes. I know there is a market for diamond watches, mainly women, jersey shore types, rappers, and people into gaudy flashy jewelry. I'm not saying that diamonds on a watch are bad for everyone, I'm just saying that I don't think it's suitable for him. I'm going to tell him today, that if flash is what he wants, he needs to buy a day-date II and not diamonds. Lol

jeffrsho
Seriously

Youre pitching the question at an audience that usually howls 'I couldnt carry it off' at £10 worth of gold plating

Lets ask the question in reverse, do you suppose all those Gen Rolex models with diamonds solely sell to rap stars and Medellin Cartel execs

For me it would look like someone trying a bit too hard to impress. Unless his ride is a Bentley Continental, his suits are Anderson and Sheppard and his shoes are Berluti of course and if they are; well different rules apply obviously.

No Bentley yet, he drives a Maserati. As for his suits and shoes, they are bespoke from the city. I still think no diamonds are a good rule for him.

Everyone has to remember, that since he is my business partner, what he wears reflects upon me as well. I could be overreacting and nobody may give a damn but I know that if I saw someone with a diamond watch, I would think they are a douche and would want to avoid dealings with them.

Realism

Who gives a shit what you think - it's his money. I fucking wear an old Navy $4 shirt with my watches and I couldn't give a fuck

Venomous

By the sounds of it, he sounds like one of those poser business owner types. Nothing wrong if he wants to be, but I can tell you that it will not reflect bad on you (or the business) if you guys are doing a good job.

People will look at him and think "what a twat" - I know that because in one of my businesses I have a partner who was exactly the same.

It wasn't until one of our clients told him he looked like a twat with his flashy car, gold watch and custom suits that he took notice and has toned down dramatically.

Just put your feelings across, and let him get on with it. You jut represent yourself and the company well, and the clients will do the rest.

V

BadPickle

he has the cash to pimp up a rollie gmt with real diamonds, and you're wearing reps? Iwould question how this business partnership is put together. :Whistle:

jeffrsho
Who gives a shit what you think - it's his money. I fucking wear an old Navy $4 shirt with my watches and I couldn't give a fuck

Yes it is his money. However, it is earned solely through his partnership with me and vice versa. So if I think a choice he is making will impact MY money, then yes, he should give a shit what I think. This is a two way street.

As for wearing $4 shirts with watches, I do the same. I even wear my $15k gen Hublot with sweatpants, but that is not when I'm working and representing our company. There is a time and place for everything.

Realism

The fact that you spent $15K... on a whoblow... and yet you want to give an advice of diamond or no diamond? Fuck me sideways

herbva

Tell him to do it if he wants to waste his money and ruin a good watch. Better yet, tell him not to do it and just give me the money which is apparently "burning a hole in his pocket".

jeffrsho
he has the cash to pimp up a rollie gmt with real diamonds, and you're wearing reps? Iwould question how this business partnership is put together. :Whistle:

I buy reps before I buy the gen or for watches I have no interest in spending gen money on. Before I discovered reps I would buy a gen that I thought I wanted, wear it for a bit, and realize it wasn't for me then I would turn around and sell it for a loss. Now I'm able to try a watch before I buy basically at a very minimum loss. I own several gens from Omega, Hublot, Rolex, Tag, and many micro brands. I never wear a rep at the office and am much happier now that I don't waste money on gens like I used to.

Remember, just because people are part of a rep community, doesn't mean they can't afford gens. That is a very poor assumption to make pickledbeetroot!

porschespeedster

Yes, sounds like your partner is one of 'those' chaps.

He probably does lose out on work because of it...but he might gain more?

Depends on where you are. If you're in an urban area, I might generalize and say that the tastes of many people in those areas are probably more subdued than those of your partner's.

In the suburbs??? Who knows. I can only speak for the States, London, France, and Germany (places I've lived.)

It could be possible that if he's dealing with large #s of lower- or middle-net-worth individuals...

they might view his bling as something to aspire to?

I'm probably overthinking.

Edited by porschespeedster

jeffrsho
The fact that you spent $15K... on a whoblow... and yet you want to give an advice of diamond or no diamond? Fuck me sideways

Touche!

Realism

Okeeee Mr gen bigshot

This Mickey D Cashier in finance is not impressed

porschespeedster

you can always call this gentleman if you get into legal trouble...

h0fqo5g6ucyx4yqxhh5o.jpg

jeffrsho
Okeeee Mr gen bigshot

This Mickey D Cashier in finance is not impressed

Not trying to impress anyone, I was questioned on why I wear reps and I answered that question.

I appreciate all the opinions in this thread. I've decided I'm just going to let him read this and make his own mind up.

BadPickle

I buy reps before I buy the gen or for watches I have no interest in spending gen money on. Before I discovered reps I would buy a gen that I thought I wanted, wear it for a bit, and realize it wasn't for me then I would turn around and sell it for a loss. Now I'm able to try a watch before I buy basically at a very minimum loss. I own several gens from Omega, Hublot, Rolex, Tag, and many micro brands. I never wear a rep at the office and am much happier now that I don't waste money on gens like I used to.

Remember, just because people are part of a rep community, doesn't mean they can't afford gens. That is a very poor assumption to make pickledbeetroot!

Its an assumtion based on the information provided, your post came across that green eyed monster had got involved, it's not poor at all, its just the impresion you gave in your, ever so slightly, whine of a post.

You were just having a whine about your mate wanting to bling up his trinket, remember this pal, we're not all the same, if your partner wants do do something then why would you want to stop him? If it makes his life a little more bearable then personally i"d be supporting that, not coming here and having a moan about him behind his back. What sort of a friend are you???????? a very poor one IMO.

narikaa

Maserati driver in bespoke clothes

Wouldnt worry about it as hes already passed the twat marker.

Sounds like the salesmans' malaise bigging it up with suits/cars/tom only tells most buyers that your thieving hands are too deep into their pockets

;)

Realism

This Mickey D Cashier speaks sense again

jeffrsho

Its an assumtion based on the information provided, your post came across that green eyed monster had got involved, it's not poor at all, its just the impresion you gave in your, ever so slightly, whine of a post.

You were just having a whine about your mate wanting to bling up his trinket, remember this pal, we're not all the same, if your partner wants do do something then why would you want to stop him? If it makes his life a little more bearable then personally i"d be supporting that, not coming here and having a moan about him behind his back. What sort of a friend are you???????? a very poor one IMO.

I asked for opinions and I already stated that I was going to show him this thread. Clearly you missed that part, so don't question what type of friend I am. Besides this was a conversation that was spawned from a discussion my friend and I had face to face.

But I appreciate your input! I'm just going to step back and let him do as he wants. Like everyone said, it's his watch to mod!

tonyh7

That kind of mod on a gen usually lowers the value.

How so when its easily reversed

The value in the bling bezel remains too

I guess if the mod is reversed then there isn't a problem. I have a friend who trades in gens - he gets his stock via the Birmingham jewellry auctions. He told me that invariably watches modded with bling added - typically Cartiers - make less money than the unmodded originals. Despite any value in the stones added.

Kleen™

Diamonds (any gemstones, really) on a watch is NEVER ok in my book....it's just tacky beyond belief....and ghey!

Realism

That kind of mod on a gen usually lowers the value.

How so when its easily reversed

The value in the bling bezel remains too

I guess if the mod is reversed then there isn't a problem. I have a friend who trades in gens - he gets his stock via the Birmingham jewellry auctions. He told me that invariably watches modded with bling added - typically Cartiers - make less money than the unmodded originals. Despite any value in the stones added.

umm - you can easily switch out the bezel????????

Kleen™

Buy your mate a David Beckham love-doll and be done wit'it....

markeym3

Tell Huggy Bear to "get the shit outta here" yeah I see your point but blinging up a rollie is not cool or even classy ,,, keep as is or buy another watch with diamonds ..

For me it just screams too much money and no class.

Just buy a very expensive gen ,, then people who know will know ..