Sign in to follow this  
Balad1

Why are Ploprofs left handed?

Balad1

Why do some watches only come in left handed configuration; Omega Ploprof, U-Boat, etc? I know there must be a logical reason but it escapes me.

NFleischer

Probably because they're so damn big, all that junk would hang down over your hand.

Imagine a Graham with that silly hand granade trigger over your left wrist, you'd be paralyzed!

speedzmaster

What about Pams and their CGs?

NFleischer

The PAM cgs are not as big and bulky as those other watches. PAM does make a number of lefty

watches too.

kabon

why there are a Chinese character ;)

speedzmaster

why there are a Chinese character ;)

What the fuck are you talking about?!

trailboss99

Manners Speedz, please.

Col.

Baldrick

The Ploprof has a an obverse crown because of the bezel locking mechanism, when worn on the left wrist it's easier to press the bezel release button with your right forefinger on the button and your thumb underneath the crown to turn the bezel, if the release was on the same side as the crown side it would be very difficult to operate.

The Graham stopwatch mechanism is the same, it's easier to operate the start / stop mechanism with the right thumb, than if it were on the conventional crown side, not to mention the fact that if the PP and Graham had their crowns in the conventional position on the left wrist, the crown would dig in when the wrist was flexed.

Ergonomically speaking the PP and Graham are exemplars of good design principles relative to their functionality.

AllergyDoc

I

Probably because they're so damn big, all that junk would hang down over your hand.

Imagine a Graham with that silly hand granade trigger over your left wrist, you'd be paralyzed!

B)

AllergyDoc

I

B)

meinessex
The Ploprof has a an obverse crown because of the bezel locking mechanism, when worn on the left wrist it's easier to press the bezel release button with your right forefinger on the button and your thumb underneath the crown to turn the bezel, if the release was on the same side as the crown side it would be very difficult to operate.

Maybe, but I think thats not the main reason, more of an effect than a cause of the Ploprof and other big divers being destros.

The main reason is that in the old days before dive computers, divers had to wear loads of other gumpf on their wrists, depth gauges, compasses etc. So dive watches were made either destro's (or with hidden crowns) so that the crown would not interfere with the wearing of these other instruments.