Sign in to follow this  
zaqwsxmike

PP moonphase chrono

zaqwsxmike

Got this from Rochest at WI. Looks great and runs on ole reliable, the ST19. The moonphase isn't actually a moonphase but rather a modified 24 hour clock, but it looks nice nevertheless. Shitty iPhone pictures to follow.

IMG_2557_zps4wkmmung.jpg

IMG_2559_zpsfcfduzn3.jpg

Crown shot:

IMG_2558_zps65t31gqe.jpg

Close-ups:

IMG_2560_zpstvgqcbon.jpg

IMG_2561_zpsheiludnq.jpg

Back and the always beautiful ST19 movement:

IMG_2563_zpsuxznx8r6.jpg

Wristy :D:

IMG_2577_zpsreawxhqn.jpg

Elegant piece. I threw on an old pair of alligator leather shoes on this bad boy and blasphemed by adding a rep VC buckle that I took off one of my other reps :nana:

Phanphy

That looks stunning! Is it 45mm?

zaqwsxmike

Measures 42mm but looks smaller because it bulges in the middle. Looks huge on me because I have tiny hairless womanly wrists :D

Mr. Genesis

I love that kind of watches, it is beautiful, congrats!

Kopcap

Very beautifull dress watch : nice catch !

Enjoy !

and Mary & Rochest (WatchInternational) are really good TDs here : efficients and reliables.

prb

Is that moonphase an actual moonphase and not just a day/night?

steve123
Is that moonphase an actual moonphase and not just a day/night?

Covers it in the post. 24hr clock nice watch, trying to sort out my next purchase and this just joined the race.

silverfox47

Wow.. I have been looking and researching for thar exact watch for the past 3 hours. So explain the 6 dial? Does the moon phase dial actually move? I know you said 24hr clock but that doesn't make sense. And I gather you are happy with the time it took and qc of the piece?

Thanks

Edited by silverfox47

myaz

So explain the 6 dial? Does the moon phase dial actually move? I know you said 24hr clock but that doesn't make sense.

The dial makes one full turn every 24 hours. Instead of having hour markers on the dial, there's a picture of the moon. As the dial goes around, it shows the "phases" of the moon but not in sync with the actual phases of the moon (29.5 days). Think of it as a night and day indicator instead.

zaqwsxmike

So explain the 6 dial? Does the moon phase dial actually move? I know you said 24hr clock but that doesn't make sense.

The dial makes one full turn every 24 hours. Instead of having hour markers on the dial, there's a picture of the moon. As the dial goes around, it shows the "phases" of the moon but not in sync with the actual phases of the moon (29.5 days). Think of it as a night and day indicator instead.

This. But in addition, because the moon dial is symmetrical, i.e. there are two moons on it, and only half of the dial is shown at any time, it's actually more of a 12-hour clock rather than a 24-hour clock. As an example, you will always see the "moon" slightly to the right of the 12 marker on that subdial when it is 12 o'clock, regardless of AM or PM.

Not really useful but makes it look really nice :)

zaqwsxmike

On second examination it seems that the moon dial makes a full rotation every 12 hours which would make the same image recur every 6 hours. This also means this is a ST1902 movement.

If you want a working moonphase try one of the ones with 4 subdials:

http://www.trusty-watch.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=39_202&products_id=2124

It just felt too cluttered for me.

As a reference, a gen Patek 3970:

http://www.watchesbysjx.com/2013/06/up-close-patek-philippe-ref-3970.html

It has a Lemania ebauche movement that is elaborately modified. The ST19s in our handwound reps are a spiritual descendant to the superb Lemania movements used in oldish high-end chronos.

More info: http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/91877-lemania-2310-venus-175-seagull-st-19/