Sign in to follow this  
stiltzkin

Experiences with Authorised Dealers?

stiltzkin

Just wanted to gauge people’s experiences with AD’s. I have read in several threads that people have been wearing a rep when going into the AD and on one thread even being offered a ‘trade in’ :D

How are you normally treated? Is it a nod and a wink and continue with the sales interaction as normal? Has anyone been treated as though they’ve just dragged a dog shit in off the pavement once the rep is spotted? Do the reps even always get spotted?

Just interested in peoples experiences…

Hope I’m not asking about breaking rule No 1 of rep club!! :)

KBH

Actually, you are asking about breaking rule No 1. It is strongly discouraged and highly frowned upon to wear a rep into an AD. I believe in some rep forums it is considered a bannable offense.

Why would you want to bring more heat and discontent from manufacturers and AD's to our hobby.

roberto

The one rule of rep club is you never talk about rep club. :)

My experiences:

1. Narikaa - Good communication and Reg is pleasant to deal with

2. Timeshops - Again, good communication, swift resolution of the one issue I'd had

3. PrestigeWatchCo - Per the various threads ad nauseum... Robert is less customer service orientated but comes up with some real gems and great offers.

Do your research, there's plenty of information in this parish. There are others such as Mary who have a very good reputation but I've never used. I'm sure someone else will be along with their 2p.

Good luck, hopes you finds what you wants :D

Ska
The one rule of rep club is you never talk about rep club. :)

My experiences:

1. Narikaa - Good communication and Reg is pleasant to deal with

2. Timeshops - Again, good communication, swift resolution of the one issue I'd had

3. PrestigeWatchCo - Per the various threads ad nauseum... Robert is less customer service orientated but comes up with some real gems and great offers.

Do your research, there's plenty of information in this parish. There are others such as Mary who have a very good reputation but I've never used. I'm sure someone else will be along with their 2p.

Good luck, hopes you finds what you wants :D

Wrong end of the stick alert!!

The OP meant AUTHORISED Dealers mate as in The retailers of Gen watches. Not our TRUSTED rep dealers.

Still - good advice had the OP needed it!

Silverspeed

Why would anyone while wearing a rep enter an AD.........?? Is it too much trouble to take it off and put it in your pocket...

Any AD with a decent amount of knowledge will be able to spot it as a rep....you will look like an idiot

stiltzkin
Why would you want to bring more heat and discontent from manufacturers and AD's to our hobby.

I wouldn't in any way - and if it's a banned subject, best to delete this thread. I was just curious what the general perception was. I think you have answered my question though... 'heat and discontent' kind of sums it up.

Brightlight

The only time I was guilty of this was at Heathrow Airport, in the departure area where out of boredom I wandered into a shop selling a number of gens and had a look at the Rollies (with tongue hanging out) not even thinking what watch I was wearing (I had a T shirt on as it was warm). The sales lady surprisingly noticed I was wearing a Rolex (my franken DJ, all gen apart from hands and movement) and asked if it was quite an old one. I just said yes it was one my father bought in 1978 and I inherited it from him. She said they go on forever as long as you get them serviced. Then showed me a couple of the new watches. No drama but then I doubt firstly anyone could have told the difference without a loupe or opening the back, and secondly I doubt she would know that much anyway.

KBH

I've also been guilty of wearing a franken DJ into Tourneau once. Unless they took the case back off it would be near impossible to tell though. I still think of them as more of a gen watch with a movement transplant than a replica.

But bringing up the question is fine and it's good to get the subject out in public once again

roberto
Wrong end of the stick alert!!

The OP meant AUTHORISED Dealers mate as in The retailers of Gen watches. Not our TRUSTED rep dealers.

Still - good advice had the OP needed it!

Jesus, it must be Monday, what the f*ck was I thinking.

Ahem, and if you will, the real answer.

Why would you want to go into a gen dealers now you'd discovered high quality reps?

Me, I just stand at the window and compare my rep versus the expensive posh ones and giggle.

Inushuk
Why would anyone while wearing a rep enter an AD.........?? Is it too much trouble to take it off and put it in your pocket...

This afternoon I went in the Officine Panerai Boutique in Paris (Rue de la Paix) and of course, I took my (your) Pam229 off my wrist, put it into my pocket and went in the shop... :D

Saw the new Daylight Luminor Chrono Titanio Blue ... :Jumpy: a beauty...

I spent about 20 minutes with the Boutique Manager trying on and off and on again :) etc...

finally I went out with the official Panerai Catalogue (fucking big and heavy one) + the official retail price list (if someone want to know he price, I can scan it...)

Anyway this interlude in the Panerai Boutique made my day .. :)

Member X
I still think of them as more of a gen watch with a movement transplant than a replica.

+1 :lol: