UPDATED w/ Pics - JohnG is going to build a 6152-1

JohnG

Picked up this Nightwatch dial from R_Squared at RG/WC:

IMG_5541.jpg

I will reshape the Jackson 1950 case I just ordered:

mm013photo1.jpg

Okabum plexy (I bought two a while ago) - here is one in a DSN case:

c6a3b799.jpg

Okabum cg (I bought two of first batch, engraved and stamped) - pics are from Oki:

998e6854.jpg

b273ddfd.jpg

Okabum plated brass knife buckle (ordered one this morning)...

boucle14-1.jpg

boucle13-3.jpg

Hands, silver, from Wholesaleout, ordered today:

Dibujo.jpg

Solid thick caseback, from Nightwatch, ordered two a few days ago, will cover up the Asian 6497...

casebacks1.jpg

Here is the 6152-1 I am shooting for:

6152-1-ang-01.jpg

6152-1-ang-03.jpg

I will build the strap myself, (got a ton of strap making tools at Christmas, time to put them to use)...

I know I haven't even started the watch yet, but feel free to admire it anyway, in advance.

:P

Luthier

I like the case.

Good luck, John, more pics of the process, we're holding our breath!

dingle

can this be a 'mods only' giveaway watch?....of course if any mod has won one of your watches before, they are disqualified :P

onzenuub
can this be a 'mods only' giveaway watch?....of course if any mod has won one of your watches before, they are disqualified :P

giveawaywhore

KinCaidk

Looks great, John!

Can I have it?

JohnG

are you another giveaway whore?

trailboss99

Greedy they are, ignore them you must :rofl:

KinCaidk

yes

Brightlight

Kinky's just a whore, type unimportant, he'll accept anything

KinCaidk

tsssssssssk!

Brightlight

tsssssssssk!

tssssssssssssk all you like, but I don't see any denial :D

bob bean

Great project John. Looks like your gonna have make space for they new baby in your watch box.

Time to get rid of the Combat Luminor!

Ruhck

Nice, I like the all silver theme .... was thinking of doing this with a 111H but maybe I'll try a mini Fiddy instead (47mm just too big for me).

Member X

Does this mean you're selling the UBoat dialled one? :lol:

JohnG

You guys got jokes! :D

Ginault

Impressive. But the dial looks a bit off center.

Charles

JohnG

I now have all my parts - except for the strap, which I will make myself. Last year I got a lot of leather tools from Tandy - for Christmas, from girlfriend, still have yet to make a single strap, but soon I will make a masterpiece of a vintage Pam strap, a-la-gunny/donerix...

Anyway, here are pics of my acquisitions - Jackson case and A6497 and custom parts...

IMG_0291.jpg

Nightwatch LP dial w/ seconds @ 9 for 6497, bought from R_Squared...

IMG_0290.jpg

IMG_0319.jpg

Okabum plexi, unpolished, and an Okabum nickel plated knife edge brass vintage buckle...

IMG_0296.jpg

Okabum brev ital crown guard, stamped "3". It is upside down so you can see the engraving and stamp.

cgclose.jpg

Nightwatch Jackson/6497 brass movement holder, purchased from Redsoxman... Eventually I will place a Swiss Unitas 6497 in the watch, it will deserve a top notch movement....

IMG_0297.jpg

Nightwatch solid caseback...

IMG_0298.jpg

IMG_0316.jpg

I also purchased some 26mm spring bars, will do NW's mod on them. The sillver hand set I got is too small - it appears to be for a 45mm watch, will see if I can strip the Jackson hands to bare steel, polish, then age...

Now comes all the fun casework.

Wish me luck!

ebzen02

Really neat! Just don't take 3 years to complete!

speedzmaster

Looks like a fun project!

JohnG

It IS going to be fun.

As Ebzen knows, the parts for this project are pretty standard. What distinguishes one 6152-1 from the next is the work you put into it. I have seen this exact watch with the case barely touched, which seems a waste of parts to me, and I have seen cases that looked like they were reworked with a hack saw. It is the rare one that is perfectly done. In 60 or 70 years a watch, especially one built as a tool watch, necessarily sees a lot of wear and tear. But most of it happened 60 or 70 years ago, NOT YESTERDAY. In the past five decades these watches were first virtually forgotten in drawers and then later taken out and polished and polished and repolished... A watch that looks worn, but not beat to shit... perfectly polished, but not by an automated machine last month... dinged, but not intentionally and repetitively...

Ebzen wrote in a thread about a case he is reworking that he spend hours looking at the case itself. That is the way to do it I believe. Measure twice, cut once, as they say. Or even better, measure 100 times, cut once. In painting, the same applies, time is more efficiently spend PLANNING your brush stroke so that when you place it, it does what you want it to, but not at the expense of a loose and seemingly spontaneous gesture. The best art (imo) is carefully planned and executed though it never seems so.

And really, these vintage builds, the best ones, are created by people who have that view and who treat the counterfeit as art and not as a merely mehanical exercise.

At least that is the philosophy I am going to apply to this watch, time will tell if this is the right approach.

:)

greg_r
It IS going to be fun.

As Ebzen knows, the parts for this project are pretty standard. What distinguishes one 6152-1 from the next is the work you put into it. I have seen this exact watch with the case barely touched, which seems a waste of parts to me, and I have seen cases that looked like they were reworked with a hack saw. It is the rare one that is perfectly done. In 60 or 70 years a watch, especially one built as a tool watch, necessarily sees a lot of wear and tear. But most of it happened 60 or 70 years ago, NOT YESTERDAY. In the past five decades these watches were first virtually forgotten in drawers and then later taken out and polished and polished and repolished... A watch that looks worn, but not beat to shit... perfectly polished, but not by an automated machine last month... dinged, but not intentionally and repetitively...

Ebzen wrote in a thread about a case he is reworking that he spend hours looking at the case itself. That is the way to do it I believe. Measure twice, cut once, as they say. Or even better, measure 100 times, cut once. In painting, the same applies, time is more efficiently spend PLANNING your brush stroke so that when you place it, it does what you want it to, but not at the expense of a loose and seemingly spontaneous gesture. The best art (imo) is carefully planned and executed though it never seems so.

And really, these vintage builds, the best ones, are created by people who have that view and who treat the counterfeit as art and not as a merely mehanical exercise.

At least that is the philosophy I am going to apply to this watch, time will tell if this is the right approach.

:blink:

Interestingly, Col and I were just talking about this earlier today. Very few 'vintaged' watches that I've seen look vintage - most look like they've been tossed in a cement mixer recently.

I'll be watching this thread with interest - looking forward to seeing how you approach this ;)

sconehead

Here's a Jackson/Getat case I've worked on...overdone...I think so...:)

4589554011_ac956afa24_b.jpg

...think I will try on a DSN next, thoughts?

JohnG

need more pics - it is really hard to judge case pics because they pic up so many reflections it distorts your perception of the true form of the case. That said, it doesn't look to me like you have removed too much metal - and if you haven't, anything is fixable... the dings don't look overdone, at least in this pic... The bezel (in this pic) somehow doesn't click with the case... but post more pics...

Also, do some profile shots - I like this one from a post by Ebzen, shows contour of case very well:

9bb6b2d1.png

sconehead

We need some gen pics posted in a thread to work off...let's see what we can dig up in the next few days...:)

JohnG

Sconey, also, looking at the pic, if I am reading it right, you can take more at the middle where the side of the case intersects the bezel - at this point, the case contour, seen from the side, should be VERY round - see Ebzen's pic above... But near the corners, the sharpness is SOMEWHAT still present...

Here is a pic of what I mean:

VINTAGE6152-1plexibezelprototype9.jpg