Sign in to follow this  
JohnG

UPDATED w/ Pics - JohnG is going to build a 6152-1

sconehead

Yep...but if you do that you end up flush with the top of the lugs with a Tat/Jackson case?

JohnG
Yep...but if you do that you end up flush with the top of the lugs with a Tat/Jackson case?

If you lower the corners, yeah, but I don't mean take metal from the corner, but take it at the top of the middle (side) of the case -

Here is your pic - with some notes - I think you can take metal at the top of the middle, eliminating the edginess altogether there - at the middle it should be a complete curve, which as it moves towards the corners becomes an edge...

In your pic I have pushed the contour higher in the middle, not lower at the lugs, and I placed below what I THINK the contour should look like at a couple of points, IF SEEN FROM THE SIDE - as in Ebzen's pic...

I don't know how well I am explaining myself...

Here is the pic:

sconey1.jpg

sconehead

I understand from your pic John...this is fine but it would be difficult to do on the CG side of the case due to the cut outs...

2010_05080052.jpg

I'll give it a go as the case is for experimenting with and not expensive enough to worry about trashing.

This is why I think maybe a DSN case is the way to go, it's closer to begin with...

JohnG
I understand from your pic John...this is fine but it would be difficult to do on the CG side of the case due to the cut outs...

I think it can be done without eating away at the cutouts - look at the pic below - I think, maybe, if you push back right from the top of the cutout removing metal from the sharp angle, until you end up just under the bezel, you will get what you see here. At the middle of each side the 1950 cases have a shelf that sticks out quite a bit from the bezel while the 6162-1 curves right up UNDER the bezel...

Here are two pics that may illustrate what I mean:

6152-1 cg side view:

fjkdqh.jpg

6152-1 and 1950 cases, side by side....

6152-1cp022.jpg

sconehead

Here's a pic from here, http://panerai.watchprosite.com which I presume is genuine. I think this is maybe where zen got his inspiration for reshaping. I know a lot of the pics out there are of 'homage' watches so it's hard to get a definitive 'shape' so to speak. Also the cases were originally hand finished I'm led to believe so there will probably be variations. We need scans from one of the Volkner books methinks...anyone?

6152-1profile.jpg

edit: just found this, useful, I think so...:lol:

6152-1124805.jpg

JohnG

Yeah and the other BIG problem is that the cases are very reflective so they are very hard to read. Often, the 6152-1 cases look like they have more of an edge along the top than they actually do because they are placed on a flat surface and the case reflects that surface along the bottom half and the "horizon" along the middle...

What we really need is a gen that we can put into a 3d scanner and make a cad/cam file of it...

Who is going to offer up their gen 6152 so we can do this?

sconehead
Yeah and the other BIG problem is that the cases are very reflective so they are very hard to read. Often, the 6152-1 cases look like they have more of an edge along the top than they actually do because they are placed on a flat surface and the case reflects that surface along the bottom half and the "horizon" along the middle...

What we really need is a gen that we can put into a 3d scanner and make a cad/cam file of it...

Jetmid?

look at the edit above John...

JohnG

Jetmid?

look at the edit above John...

yes, saw that one at W-C in the Ebzen thread - someone posted it there too. Great reference!

Tomorrow I am going to go to fucking town on that case baby!!!!! I am going to give it a spanking, make it cry like one of TTK's noob customers!!!!!

ebzen02

Here are some illustrations to help.. I prefer a cartel fiddy case over the Jackson case because it has the most to work with.

0a0dc573.png

074eceff.png

Finished case.. Not perfected yet..

f63bb9b3.png

Baldrick

Nuggets :lol:

JohnG

Ebzen, that last pic looks spot on to me. Congrats!!!

As to which case to use, I think Clint Eastwood uses the Jackson, so it must have enough material to work with, plus you can't get anywhere near that price from anyone else. That said, I like Sconey's idea of using Mary's RX20 - that solid caseback looks sweet, that would be a fantastic way to get the price down on your build. If it is not as thick as the NW cb, it is by the width of a pussy hair, looks pretty damned good to me.

ebzen02
Ebzen, that last pic looks spot on to me. Congrats!!!

As to which case to use, I think Clint Eastwood uses the Jackson, so it must have enough material to work with, plus you can't get anywhere near that price from anyone else. That said, I like Sconey's idea of using Mary's RX20 - that solid caseback looks sweet, that would be a fantastic way to get the price down on your build. If it is not as thick as the NW cb, it is by the width of a pussy hair, looks pretty damned good to me.

I have a thick NW CB on it's way.. I have reshaped a Jackson/Getat case, but I have found that the cartel fiddy caseset was easier to reshape Hixxy has a comparision review of all the cases.. I am going look for it ad show you what I mean..

dingle

still interested if this will be another giveaway watch.....:D

JohnG
still interested if this will be another giveaway watch.....:D

Sure thing, now take another toke on your crack pipe.

dingle
still interested if this will be another giveaway watch.....:popcorn:

Sure thing, now take another toke on your crack pipe.

:D

JohnG

Really neat! Just don't take 3 years to complete!

Well, it looks like it is going to take at least that. It is all still in a box. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I will get on it here any day now.

Nisv

If I had the funds I'd ask for your sub.

sconehead

Really neat! Just don't take 3 years to complete!

Well, it looks like it is going to take at least that. It is all still in a box. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I will get on it here any day now.

...well I never...:Whistle:

JohnG
:lol:

JohnG

Finally got around to doing the case reshape. It hasn't even been four years yet. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

20140811_213126_zpsc2636219.jpg

JohnG
20140811_213149_zps5238cf59.jpg

DR3M3L

That took quite a while, but it starts looking great! The shape is getting close!

Frankt8242

Finally got around to doing the case reshape. It hasn't even been four years yet. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Yeah but did you finish the house yet...?? :giggle: :giggle:

greg_r

LMAO

Yes, I've got one of those projects too. I have all the bits. They've been sitting in my spares box for... oh... about three years now. :rofl: