Sign in to follow this  
unpollo2

Patek cross deployment buckle options

unpollo2

i have been looking for larger sized aftermarket Patek cross buckles as Patek only makes them in 14mm to 16mm width

i found a seller on EBAY from Greece and his buckles go from 18mm all the way to 22mm which is nice for fatter watch straps like those on the Nautilus

problem is his buckles do not look very authentic, they have no engravings or logos of Patek Philippe on them, and the thickness of the strap pass thru and hole pin are much too large for straps leaving a large space when closed against the wrist.

i could file down the hole pin but the pass thru under the cross is still too tall and so the empty space still exists

also his buckles are stainless steel or rose gold plated

does anyone have experience with Fat Panda buckles and are they from same manufacturer? i am looking for as close to gen as possible and would even pay for real white gold material

TIA

Martijn0007

I have one from Tim (Fat Panda) and it's great quality!

unpollo2

does it have the problems i mentioned above? does it have engravings on the inside of buckle?

here is a pic of the problems with the Greece buckle gap

14d0i7n.jpg

greg_r

Not a review. Moved to straps section.

Martijn0007

You should swap the cross around, it should look like this:

9aff4edd45f4dd6e43d19f4630a86aad.jpg

Mine does have engravings.

54b71f7a8f187145523a27503860b100.jpg

And, I'm quite sure Patek only uses this type of clasp on the Nautilus

6cfed01278643d7a95330228ba296892.jpg

unpollo2

yes i am aware of the nautilus buckle i prefer the cross buckle myself

deployments are supposed to be opposite of tangs, you pull on the long strap on a tang to cinch it, but you guide the deployment long strap into the loops

does your cross with the hole pin rest on the inner folded clasp metal (left side on your pic) or the leather (right side of pic)

my clasp the hole pin is too long as you can see, and it rests on the metal thus creating a gap... also the space under the cross is too large as well and both rest on the folded metal underneath so there is always a gap no matter how i orient the hole pin

wr0r4y.jpg

Edited by unpollo2

Gmtaddict

That's because you have put it upside down....

To be more specific: the short end of the strap must be at 6 o'clock, the long part of the strap at 12 o'clock,

and the deployant part must be against your wrist on the 6 o'clock side.

Effectively, the short side of the strap will be OVER the deployant buckle, and the pin will lock the long part of the strap at a point where it is over the short side..

Hoping this helps

_DC_
That's because you have put it upside down....

To be more specific: the short end of the strap must be at 6 o'clock, the long part of the strap at 12 o'clock,

and the deployant part must be against your wrist on the 6 o'clock side.

Effectively, the short side of the strap will be OVER the deployant buckle, and the pin will lock the long part of the strap at a point where it is over the short side..

Hoping this helps

Think you're getting confused buddy, the way he's got it is the way it should be, as you rightly say the short end of the strap should be on the 6 o'clock side, but that IS how he's got it. Also the pin should secure into the strap and hold it against the deployant, again this IS how he's got it, unfortunately it just looks as though he's got a crap deployant with a pin that is too long!!

Get the one from WatchFinder, that's what I've got on my 5970 and works perfectly (although I have the cross round the other way so the pin touches the strap not the deployant coz otherwise it sits at a funny angle on my skinny wrists).

What I will say though, is that the Nautilus strap is designed for a double or "butterfly" deployant not a single folding deployant, so it might sit funny on your wrist!!!

DC

Gmtaddict

I may be confused, I'll check with my Gen when I get the chance...

_DC_

Pin definitely touches back onto the clasp rather than out onto the strap...

EE350EDC-72AB-4C5A-8BAC-CF1E2F78E4E0_zps49ojsl0r.jpg

DC

Gmtaddict

Right, my mistake....

unpollo2

i have PM panda and watchfinder mutliple time. no response

i will try again

please put my name out as trustworthy

unpollo2

thanks all!

i understand that this being a rep forum and not gen would be slightly skeptical

i want the Fat Panda 18mm cross if he has it, in white gold too

it is superior to the Greece one i bought off EBAY

thanks

unpollo2

still no reply from Fat Panda / Watchfinder

anyone help?

peteins

I spent a long long time looking for this, It is the only one on alliexpress and am not sure you are worthy of such information but....Here you go:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-arrival-Watchbands-Buckle-Stainless-Steel-Clasp-20mm-Brand-Leather-Rosegold-Silver-Deployment-Free-shipping-Fits/32272678779.html

message the seller for a different size or colour, he has them.

unpollo2

I spent a long long time looking for this, It is the only one on alliexpress and am not sure you are worthy of such information but....Here you go:

http://www.aliexpres...2272678779.html

LOL thanks man! however the quality of that buckle is lesser than the Greece one i already have. the cross is not a very good replica, no engravings, and the hole pin appears to be just as long as my current one.

i think Fat Panda / Watchfinder buckle is the one i want, if only someone who has constant contact with them could get their attention for me that's what i am looking for.

_DC_

WatchFinder are super busy, I know a friend who has an order with them, he paid a week ago and they had the watch in stock but still haven't sent him QC, so don't think it's personal, just think they're super busy and struggling to get back to people!!

DC

peteins

Its alliexpress so you never know what I'll get, could be the better version, Ill post pics when it arrives and for a tenner delivered you can't really go wrong :D

unpollo2

how is the alliexpress buckle? i still haven't heard from Watchfinder but i did find a gen white gold 18mm cross buckle on ebay and bought it for 2700 usd. apparently they are quite rare and usually only in euro countries, but it is gen as my 5712g is gen too

peteins

how is the alliexpress buckle? i still haven't heard from Watchfinder but i did find a gen white gold 18mm cross buckle on ebay and bought it for 2700 usd. apparently they are quite rare and usually only in euro countries, but it is gen as my 5712g is gen too

wow, i couldn't even imagine spending that amount on a buckle! but if you have the money then fare enough i guess..

Its pretty decent, It has no engravings, but I'm not bothered about that. If your comparing it to the gen, I don't think It'll be very good

unpollo2

Does it have the gap issue I had with that Greece buckle? See above images

peteins

Does it have the gap issue I had with that Greece buckle? See above images

i don't actually have a strap to put it on, i just bought it for a future purchase, but it doesn't look like it would have a big gap yours does after its got thin strap through it :)

Gmtaddict

Here is the greek ebay bucke compared to gen

5fc0bf4c2d2fbf2b074c332b5b561ed6.jpg

6352e9529e143839a95d88f27ab4d587.jpg

a7afdf0b15026195385682c45a5db9f3.jpg

Apart from width size, the major difference is the length of the pin that gets into the strap. Even with thick strap you still have a not so nice gap....

35b304c842d97fe52c06003f9c3eb7b8.jpg

unpollo2

its both the pin and the support bar that the cross emblem rests on. even if you file down the pin the bar under the cross still has a large gap. if they cut the size of the gap and pin by half it would be great. the cross design is a much better replica than the alliexpress one

watchworm

http://www.aliexpres...2272678779.html

Now another deployant on ali with better "fleur". £14

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/18mm-20mm-Silver-Rose-Gold-Stainless-Steel-Polished-Watch-Bands-Buckle-Deployment-Clasp-Free-Shipping/1191649_32308103493.html