A7750 or Quartz?

A7750 or Quartz?   

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• A7750
    • Quartz
    • Other

SirDomino

I have been researching reps and it consistently seems that if you want a rep to be as close to the gen as possible in regards to looks, that you must get the A7750 Swiss movement version. If you opt for the quartz version they tend to be less closer to a gen and uses lower quality materials. Is there no way to get a quartz that is of the same make/quality of an A7750 with just the internals being different?

Also, do you feel it is worth getting an A7750 over a Quartz? It seems I have read time and again that the A7750 is "buggy" and prone to failures OR requires costly rebuilds prior to even wearing them. Not to mention rebuilds periodically and dangers with utilizing the chrono functions or setting the date during certain times, etc.

So should one get a more reliable Quartz movement that is less closer to gen or an A7750 that is less reliable and closer to gen?

Look forward to your responses.

Brightlight

ETA 28xx movements, I stay away from chronos. The A7750, particularly in a seconds at 6 config, is a time bomb and difficult (and expensive) to get serviced.

Luthier

Quartz is the last resource. Real watch lover rarely will go for quartz. It has no soul. Know your A7750, and you'd never have any problems.

NFleischer

I have alot of A 7750, sometimes DO NEED SERVICE.

I don't usually like most rep quartz watches. But they are accurate and trouble free

Russ
I have alot of A 7750, sometimes DO NEED SERVICE.

I don't usually like most rep quartz watches. But they are accurate and trouble free

Hi Nf

Can you pm me where do you normally have your a7750 serviced,i want a reliable source as i have a tag date a7750 and looking to get the new pamm 288 from Josh a7750 so feel i will need to get these serviced soon if i wanna stay trouble free

cheers

Russ

gB.

What Luther stated. +1M

prestigewatchco

your safe with quartz Tag 90% of their range is available in quartz so even if the model you want is not made in quartz only an expert would know.

Also 7750 are not for the novice particularly when they have been modified to replicate the sub dial functions of the Gen.

Want a paper weight with "Soul" then buy a modified 7750 want a watch that will work and function as chrono anytime then buy quartz

mspangl

went for others there.. id love a nice rep with a gen eta 2892 or real guaranteed swiss movements..

got some 7750s and got 2 gen quartz .. never had any problem with one of them

pollux1

A7750 beats with the same "heart" as the gen, I think Ziggy serviced one in 2006 then had it on a winder for 3 years or so the watch was no worse for wear than ETA 7750 although he did stress the need for servicing as most come without being oiled properly.

JohnG

Quartz is fine for me - never pass my reps off as gens anyway, and you CAN get quartz reps with the same cases as the 7750's - quite a few dealers carry them.

turnipz

I hate the insistent ticking.

warcelo

i've seen many quartz movements that have a sweeping seconds, but i never saw it in a rep..... Does anyone know about it?

Example:

ETA/ESA Quartz 802.104 Ligne size 6 ¾ x 8. 2.95 thick Hand sizes 70/120/20 Sweep second hand.

turnipz

I think the sweeping quartz only move like 18000bph and suck battery, maybe thats why?

prestigewatchco

That movement is in a few reps Tag F1 is that movement it's the big center second hand that sweeps the small sub dial running seconds still ticks.

Also the design of the movement only lends itself to a few watches ones that come to mind are a few Chopard/Bvlgari and Tag the sub dial spacing only allows sub dials at 2/6 and 10 so any watches with 3/6/9 or 6/9/12 can't use them.

I have seen a few non chrono watches with these movement in that have been modified they are rare but very good if you can find them best of both worlds really

wat44

quartz is fine for running secs on a subdial - not for a sweeping second hand

I never use stopwatch functions - I have a proper stopwatch if I ever feel the overwhelming need to time something

JohnG
quartz is fine for running secs on a subdial - not for a sweeping second hand

I never use stopwatch functions - I have a proper stopwatch if I ever feel the overwhelming need to time something

+1

I have an IWC Aquatimer (new one) w/ quartz, from Lawrence, it is AWESOME - and you have to look REALLY close (like from a few inches away) to see the seconds subdial, so WHO CARES?

As to soul - watches are inanimate objects, they don't have souls, and if these one did have soulds they would be FAKE souls anyway, so why get so uptight about it.

If you want to spend the money, fine, but quartz chronos are just great.

andygt

The Seagull ST19 is the best rep chrono movement IMO - best of both worlds

graman

7750 secs at 9, or the seagull......worth the risk, just treat it REALLY well....

greg_r
The Seagull ST19 is the best rep chrono movement IMO - best of both worlds

+1 although I've got nothing against quartz in a budget rep...

wat44

I just bought the IWC aquatimer too - in quartz - it does indeed look awesome (thanks John for the heads up)

how is the bracelet adjusted????

push the pins? or screws? (looks like an incredibly fine screwdriver head... faux?)

mickeypro

You always hear the "quartz has no soul" crap. I have a few quartz gens because as long as I change the battery I can pick them up 6 months later and they are set to the correct time. Unfortunately i do not have a winder and I have to spend the first 5 minutes setting the damn watch.

GC
Want a paper weight with "Soul" then buy a modified 7750 want a watch that will work and function as chrono anytime then buy quartz

Listen to Robert, he is giving you the truest & best advice.

I own one of the most beautiful paper weights you have ever seen. :lol:

NFleischer

People here tend to villify quartz. I have a couple of decent gens and its true they are more accurate and reliable.

If you stay with sec @ 9 A7750, you'll have pretty good luck. I've had to service a couple ($200 a pop)

but after they will work well. Everyone knows that sec @6 is bad news, sec @ 12 is abit better, but also can be trouble.

That's why those APROO's are risky- super expensive and prone to trouble.

greg_r
People here tend to villify quartz. I have a couple of decent gens and its true they are more accurate and reliable.

If you stay with sec @ 9 A7750, you'll have pretty good luck. I've had to service a couple ($200 a pop)

but after they will work well. Everyone knows that sec @6 is bad news, sec @ 12 is abit better, but also can be trouble.

That's why those APROO's are risky- super expensive and prone to trouble.

... and why I just bought a quartz AP ROO...

Nisv

Quartz.

In a Submariner :tease: