Sign in to follow this  
RowLecks

My story and a warning re a supplier called SolidSwiss - buyers beware!

RowLecks

Hello to all !

First proper post on here so please go gentle on me and don’t snigger too much when you hear of my predicament !

In December 2013, I purchased a replica gents Yachmaster from a company I’d found online called “SolidSwiss” (I wish I’d found this website first). I won’t put a link up to their website, as I wouldn’t want anyone else to be taken in by their lies. When I say a replica, the person I communicated with via email prior to the purchase was very insistent that the watch I would receive is not a replica, but a “clone”. On asking what he meant, I was given all sorts of flowery language telling me the watch is 99% identical to an original, in every way, interior and exterior. He further insisted it was a “Swiss” copy, not Japanese/Chinese (taken with a pinch of salt). I’d been all over their pretty professional website and fancy photographs and decided to order.

On receiving the watch, I have to say that it was VERY good and a massive improvement on replicas I’d bought while holidaying in Thailand. It really looked the part and comparing it to an original on the Rolex website and jewellers shop window I struggled to find any differences. In fact I didn’t find any. I’d of course doubted very much that SolidSwiss were indeed based in Geneva as they claim (or New York, or Canada as further emails claimed, it was all very confusing), and the watch arriving with Hong Kong customs papers etc. confirmed my suspicions. However I was happy with it, and have been up until a month ago, so the country of origin was of no real consequence to me.

About 4 weeks ago I noticed the watch had started running VERY fast all of a sudden. I’m talking about 2 hours-plus in a 24 hour period ! I contacted SolidSwiss by email to invoke their much-heralded free 2-year warranty (copy below). They seemed very disinterested (no surprise there then). I was asked if I was “winding it properly” ? I assured the person on email I was, and was advised to keep winding it lots, and “tap it on the side, which should sort it”. With reservations, I carried out their instructions for a week, and it made no difference. When I contacted them again, I was asked to provide a video of me winding it ! After telling them that they were being ridiculous, I complied with their odd request, in the forlorn hope that they would honour their “warranty”.

I’m sure you’ve already guessed the rest. The answers to my emails began taking longer to arrive, and now they’re just not bothering to answer at all. Their “warranty” it would seem, is a lie.

I want to warn members of this forum about SolidSwiss. They are liars who will NOT honour any warranty. Please do not get caught out by them. Ignore their professional website and promises. Their guarantees are false. Anyone else had dealings or experiences with them?

Finally, does anyone know of a watchmaker/repairer in the UK who will remedy the problem? I’ve looked on the repairs section, and there’s a chap who comes highly recommended, but it would seem he’s “fully booked”. Can anyone offer an alternative?

The Solid Swiss two year and four year guarantee:

SolidSwiss.cd 4 Years Warranty.

Apart from our Standard two Years Warranty which comes free with every Solidswiss.cd purchase, we also offer an upgrade to a four Years Extended Warranty. This package extends your two Years coverage to four Years of world-class support with global repair coverage, full stock of SolidSwiss.cd replacement parts and expert assistance throughout the cover, all for one economical price of just $150.

henrychinaski

Did the .cd (Democratic Republic of Congo) domain not alert some sort of warning bell in your brain????

NMA

to be honest mate, I don't think any RWG member would deal with solidswiss, that's why we're here, so, do not worry for us.

Irishcain

Sorry to hear you were taken in. That's the reason a lot of us found our way here.

RowLecks

Did the .cd (Democratic Republic of Congo) domain not alert some sort of warning bell in your brain????

Thanks for the welcome. Have you ever thought of a job in hospitality?

RowLecks

to be honest mate, I don't think any RWG member would deal with solidswiss, that's why we're here, so, do not worry for us.

Yep, now that I've found this forum, I'll make sure I take the recommendations from here before buying another !

RowLecks

Sorry to hear you were taken in. That's the reason a lot of us found our way here.

Yep, you live and learn (except for some who were just perfect from the day they were born), it's not a worry, I'll buy another using the recommendations on here.

NMA

Very Welcome :thumbsup:

Duzza

I'm amazed you even got a watch in the first place and even more amazed it was anything other than canal street crap

T__H

Baught a few reps and had just a problem with one of them (something inside the movement was broken). After contacting SSTEEL i sent the watch out for repair to him and now it runs smoothly.

Just contact him, he´s a very good guy and can sort this out...

Mr Stubbs

Don't mind Henry, he's a good sort. My very first post I was told to fuck off and die. Gave me a good chuckle. :)

You can try Micky (SSTEEL) or Alex (UK Watch Service) (Edit: Oops, he's all tied up ATM.)or take it in to a local watch maker. Some may not want the work, but nothing lost by trying.

It's tough to have a favourite watch go bad on you. Best of luck!

dfq23

Gotta love noob "attitude" or if you'd rather "noobitude"Stay here, we will look after you!! By the way, can you ask them if they do actually drink Um Bongo in the Congo

RowLecks

Baught a few reps and had just a problem with one of them (something inside the movement was broken). After contacting SSTEEL i sent the watch out for repair to him and now it runs smoothly.

Just contact him, he´s a very good guy and can sort this out...

Thank you very much for the advice buddy. I'll get in touch.

RichardMiami

moved

Wriggles

Did you by any chance have it near a radio, speaker, microwave etc recently?

Running very fast might indicate the mainspring has been magnetised. De-magnetising it might clear up the issue, you should be able to get a cheap one on ebay if you want to try

RowLecks

Running very fast might indicate the mainspring has been magnetised. De-magnetising it might clear up the issue, you should be able to get a cheap one on ebay if you want to try

Thank you mate. I'll just send it to an expert to have a look at. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if my missus sat it on the microwave ! A pistol drill that went missing a while back turned up.....at the bottom of the laundry basket ! :giggle:

trailboss99

I'm amazed you even got a watch in the first place and even more amazed it was anything other than canal street crap

Na, SS send a watch and even a decent watch it's just priced at between 2 and 5 times what our guys charge.

OP: As above I'd tend to think it's become magnetised since two in 24 is very fast. If you can find a small "mum and pop" style watchmaker you may be able to have the run it thru their demag or buy one for yourself, they can be got for under 20 bucks on eBay.

Wriggles

Thank you mate. I'll just send it to an expert to have a look at. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if my missus sat it on the microwave ! A pistol drill that went missing a while back turned up.....at the bottom of the laundry basket ! :giggle:

Shit sounds like you're married to my Wife :rofl:

Seand83

+1 to that.

RowLecks

Na, SS send a watch and even a decent watch it's just priced at between 2 and 5 times what our guys charge.

OP: As above I'd tend to think it's become magnetised since two in 24 is very fast. If you can find a small "mum and pop" style watchmaker you may be able to have the run it thru their demag or buy one for yourself, they can be got for under 20 bucks on eBay.

Thanks for the advice buddy.

I've sent a PM to SSTEEL.

BadPickle

Thanks for the advice buddy.

I've sent a PM to SSTEEL.

:facepalm:

SSTEEL

Email replied ;)

BC1221

post some pics!

ive always wondered what you actually get when you order from that site.

the pics on the site are of gens for sure but nobody thats bought anything from them ever posts any pics.

sorry you were taken. its happened to a lot of folks.

at least you know now.

RowLecks

Surprise surprise - Solid Swiss have just emailed me !

Here is a transcript of the conversation:

I notice you're now just not bothering to answer. So much for your "two year guarantee" and all your other promises. You leave with no alternative but to warn people of your operation on the main replica watch forum.

why would I care about those replica watch forums? lol they promote the asian replicas and chinese dealers please be patient and not so annoying - I am waiting to hear back which jeweler can fix it the fastest you keep threatening me then I won't help

Aren't you based in the Democratic Republic of Congo? And the watch you sent me was posted from Hong Kong or China mate. Wouldn't you agree that I've been very patient? I too want to resolve matters amicably but any two-year guarantee for any other goods would have got an instant response....

are you serious? anyone can use a .cd doesn't mean they are located in the Congo sir lol - its just for legal reasons

And the fact that the watch was post-marked/customs cleared in Hong Kong or China?

so what? thats for customs reasons doesn't mean the watch is made there

Edited by RowLecks

RowLecks
post some pics! ive always wondered what you actually get when you order from that site. the pics on the site are of gens for sure but nobody thats bought anything from them ever posts any pics. sorry you were taken. its happened to a lot of folks. at least you know now.

I've asked SSTEEL to give me an honest opinion of the watch when he receives it for repair. I'll post his opinion on here word for word when I get it. It looks a great copy to me, but I've said to SSTEEL that if it's Chinese crap worth $20, tell me.