Sign in to follow this  
sdcsdc

What does 'Faux Chronograph' mean?

sdcsdc

For example, in the description here:

http://www.pf-818.co...13-p-15571.html

The supplier says after I contacted him that 'Faux Chronograph' means it is 'not working chrono'. So I am none the wiser.

Does this (usually0 mean that the sub-dials are a) disconnected and don't revolve? or b) that they don't operate the same way/to the same accuracy of a 'real' watch?

Anyway, tbh, I don't really need the small dials to operate at all (I will never use them). What I am worried about is if it functions reasonably well as a watch (i.e. looks good and keeps reasonable time). I don't really care if it doesn't look or operate like a real Rolex close up (minor finishing details and hand sweep, etc.).

Am I over-optimistic in this respect (time keeping) with regard to this particular watch/movement? (From anyone's personal experience of similar combinations).

TIA! :-)

Wriggles

21j movement, pushers operate the subdials which generally act as a calendar, date, month etc.

Read the movement sticky in the new member thread, in fact read all the stickies in the new member thread...it's on the main page in red. Hard to miss though seems everybody does, or just doesn't bother

black263

Faux chronograph, simply means the sub-dials do not operate in the normal fashion. What they do, however, varies from watch to watch. You would need to look at the specs of the individual watch being offered to see what they in fact do.

Paparolf

Just means fake chrono

porschespeedster

Best to pay for said chronograph with faux currency.

sdcsdc

Read the movement sticky in the new member thread, in fact read all the stickies in the new member thread...it's on the main page in red. Hard to miss though seems everybody does, or just doesn't bother

Aw, thanks! I did read the 'movement' thread but could not find the sticky as easily as you imply, (in fact, I have read most of the stickies for new members (been at it for 2 days now)).

To find it I did searches of all posts for 'chronograph' (and had to scroll through and read a lot to find it).

I think everyone misses it for the following reason:

Firstly, you are also assuming that I (being new to the rep watch glossary) know what a chronograph and movement mean, or if they are connected at all. If you don't know what a chronograph is you wont know to look in the 'movement' sticky. You would look in the 'chronograph sticky (which there is none).

But let's say I do know. If you go to the front page, then scan the left hand side (as you do in most forums) then click on the 'New Members and Introductions' thread, (imho a pretty obvious progression, and it actually says the words 'New Members start here'), and either scroll down the list of pinned posts and look for actually look for 'movements' (or Ctrl-f and search) it is not there.

(However, later I noticed you can find it by clicking in the MUST READ..! box tucked away in the top right corner of the page, then searching. So not as obvious as you might think if you are unfamiliar with the boards, and with the caveat that you won't know about movements yet, stated above).

Secondly, I did search the sticky (and forums) for 'Faux Chrono(graph)' and nothing came up. I found it like I said above, by reading a lot on here.

Lastly, the post you refer to doesn't actually say what a faux chronograph is (or a chronograph even). I wanted to know if the phrase meant that there were static dials (fixed, unmoving, for cosmetic purposes only) or if they moved like a regular watch but not up to the standard of the real thing.

Not griping, but not every new member knows exactly what they are looking for all the time (<- ooh, pun!) :-) and I am sure most of you nice people on here don't mind a little guiding in the right direction sometimes. Just saying, don't just assume every new member misses things or doesn't bother to read stuff.

(and thanks to Paparolf too, 'faux chrono' means 'fake chrono'. Hmm... (see above)).

Daywatch

Hi and welcome. Not everybody double-clicks on the PC-link and there are many different models with non-working stopwatch.

The good on this one: thinner and more reliable than the expensive A7750 model

The bad on this one: the stopwatch does not work (which is not too bad) BUT the main seconds hand (which belongs to the stopfunction only) is always running - and that is very strange & gets irritating. It has to be modified to be "frozen". The only good version is from "Nembo" and very rarely pops up.

Try to choose another model.

http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=112

webbo2005

Aw, thanks! I did read the 'movement' thread but could not find the sticky as easily as you imply, (in fact, I have read most of the stickies for new members (been at it for 2 days now)).

To find it I did searches of all posts for 'chronograph' (and had to scroll through and read a lot to find it).

Firstly, you are also assuming that I (being new to the rep watch glossary) know what a chronograph and movement mean, or if they are connected at all. If you don't know what a chronograph is you wont know to look in the 'movement' sticky. You would look in the 'chronograph sticky (which there is none).

But let's say I do know. If you go to the front page, then scan the left hand side (as you do in most forums) then click on the 'New Members and Introductions' thread, (imho a pretty obvious progression, and it actually says the words 'New Members start here'), and either scroll down the list of pinned posts and look for actually look for 'movements' (or Ctrl-f and search) it is not there.

(However, later I noticed you can find it by clicking in the MUST READ..! box tucked away in the top right corner of the page, then searching. So not as obvious as you might think if you are unfamiliar with the boards, and with the caveat that you won't know about movements yet, stated above).

Secondly, I did search the sticky (and forums) for 'Faux Chrono(graph)' and nothing came up. I found it like I said above, by reading a lot on here.

Lastly, the post you refer to doesn't actually say what a faux chronograph is (or a chronograph even). I wanted to know if the phrase meant that there were static dials (fixed, unmoving, for cosmetic purposes only) or if they moved like a regular watch but not up to the standard of the real thing.

Not griping, but not every new member knows exactly what they are looking for all the time (<- ooh, pun!) :-) and I am sure most of you nice people on here don't mind a little guiding in the right direction sometimes. Just saying, don't just assume every new member misses things or doesn't bother to read stuff.

(and thanks to Paparolf too, 'faux chrono' means 'fake chrono'. Hmm... (see above)).

This is exactly how I felt when I first joined. Best thing to do is to just figure stuff out yourself or you'll get shot down for asking questions on a forum. I know, who would have thought? It's completely stupid but that's how it works around here.

Wriggles

Firstly I answered your question. Is that not sufficient?

Secondly, you're not in the Flame Free zone so really I could have said an awful lot worse.

Thirdly, the new member thread has lots of stickies with huge amounts of useful information, including the glossary explaining Chronograph, and Movement terminology, so in fact if more members read them we'd have less stupid questions that are asked over and over and over again and get quite annoying. This is a great forum, pure laziness is not generally appreciated and the membership will let you know if you are being lazy.

If I had a quid for every new member who claimed to have read for days and days and read all the new member threads, but clearly didn't and hadn't a fucking notion about anything I'd be buying gens and not reps.

Now, not saying this is you, but so many new members just come in, demand info and fuck off again....stick around a while, you'll eventually see what we see

As for Webbo, I couldn't be arsed even bothering to formulate a response

myaz

The supplier says after I contacted him that 'Faux Chronograph' means it is 'not working chrono'. So I am none the wiser.

Does this (usually0 mean that the sub-dials are a) disconnected and don't revolve? or b) that they don't operate the same way/to the same accuracy of a 'real' watch?

The suppliers' grasp of English is often mediocre, excepting Narikaa, BK and a couple more.

I don't have this particular model but when they say "faux....", it means that the dial is not connected to the movement. Sometimes it is frozen, such as in a modded 7750's seconds sub-dial or comes that way from the factory, such as the faux PR (power reserve) in an IWC Big Pilot (frozen at full charge). Sometimes, the needle can be moved around the dial by successive activation of the pushers. An example would be the old Cartier Calibre with a 21J movement and there are plenty of others.

It gets trickier on some other models. For instance, the Lange1 has a seconds sub-dial but it's a 24hr totalizer in the rep. The PR now is a "days of the week" indicator. Since these complications are "functional" they are technically not "faux" and thus it's typically not mentioned. It means that you have to know that before purchasing. M2M is real good about disclosing these.

black263

Here is just one example of Faux Chronos.

f2_zps607c86cc.jpg

The right hand sub-dial goes up to 31, and shows the date. It moves forward one division around midnight, and can be moved manually one day at a time, by clicking the button at 4.

The left dial is the day of the week. I know, it looks unlike it, but there are 14 divisions around the dial. Overnight it moves forwards two divisions, so the top is Sun, two round is Mon, 4 round Tues, 6 round, Wed, etc. The button at 2 moves it forwards one division per click, so every two clicks moves forward one day.

Yet another.

om1_zpsa2038158.jpg

In this, the left sub-dial shows day of the week, changes overnight, and can be manually changed by the button at 2.

The right sub-dial shows date, changes overnight and can be manually changed by the button at 4

The bottom sub-dial shows the hour in 24 hour format, and is linked to the hour hand, and cannot be changed separately. Can be useful when setting the time to know whether the main dial is am or pm, and hence when the date is due to change.

Jonnybaws

As per the above.. it means it doesn't Faux'ing work!

PhillyRock

As per the above.. it means it doesn't Faux'ing work!

HAHAHAHAHA

Best explanation EVER!!!

Even the OP could understand this example!!!

Wriggles

sdcsdc, if you go here http://www.rwg.bz/bo...ea=ignoredusers and type Wriggles then tick "Posts" next to "Ignore", you'll save yourself a few headaches.

OP, do whatever you feel like, if you want to listen to the advice of a "member" who's barely here a wet day, doesn't contribute anything to the forum and abused the moderators on his first day of membership go ahead, otherwise ignore him/her and make up your own mind.

If you start ignoring members based on what I wrote you'll be here all alone very soon as the forum operates a little more raucously than others, and there'll be likely far worse things said during your time here.....it's all part and parcel of this place....

Again, as for Webbo, life's too short to bother...notice he didn't take his own advice and set me to "ignore"...make of that what you will

ag69

Just means fake chrono

+1. Simplest explanation.

plankton

Faux= for looks

<RJ>
:popcorn: