Sign in to follow this  
Fat Five

7750 Help

Fat Five

Bought a PAM 104 from Mary a couple of months ago and have been very happy with my purchase and have been wearing it everyday.

Couple of days ago I look down at my wrist and notice watch had stopped, wound it up and it seemed fine but now it`s always dead when I put it on in the morning and again today it stopped in the middle of the day while wearing it? What should I do?

Thanks for you're help!

KBH

Move more and sleep less? :D

Actually, if you have the see through case back, make sure the rotor is moving properly and not hanging up or loose. Also, try winding it while it's horizontal and watch the rotor. If the rotor spins while you wind it, the anti reversing mechanism is faulty and needs cleaning or repair. That's often a problem with 7750's but it's not very expensive to have fixed. Your movement will be unwinding itself on your wrist.

Other than that you can try fully winding it with about 40 slow and easy winds and check the power reserve. It should last about 40 hours unworn.

_jonte

The 104 is an automatic model. Should not be hand-wound... or?

KBH
The 104 is an automatic model. Should not be hand-wound... or?

According to the thread title, it's a 7750. But any watch, IMO should be hand wound first to get the power reserve built up. Otherwise you'll going to have it stopping regularly unless you move around an awful lot. Just do it slowly and gently since the a7750's are known to have weak winding gears.

I have a gen Seiko that doesn't hand wind at all. If I pick it up dead and wear it all day it will quite often stop in the middle of the night. The only way to get it completely wound is to leave it on my winder.

Another thing about the 7750 movement is it only winds in one direction. That's why it's even hard to keep a 7750 going on any winder that rotates in both direction (such as Acetimer). You add that to the fact that the Fat Five takes it off every night and I can see where he may have problems.

Stopping in the middle of the day would be the only thing that would concern me.

_jonte

Thanks KBH, gonna try that myself. My PAM with 7750 has a 15-20 power-reserve. Maybe it needs a full wind...

BTW, which way is the correct to wind the watch? The same direction as you move time forward, or the other?

KBH
Thanks KBH, gonna try that myself. My PAM with 7750 has a 15-20 power-reserve. Maybe it needs a full wind...

BTW, which way is the correct to wind the watch? The same direction as you move time forward, or the other?

You can wind it as you would any other watch only do it slower. It only actually winds as you're going clockwise looking at the stem.

What I was previously referring to is that the rotor only winds in one direction on the 7750 whereas the 2824/2836 wind in either direction of the rotor.

_jonte

You can wind it as you would any other watch only do it slower. It only actually winds as you're going clockwise looking at the stem.

What I was previously referring to is that the rotor only winds in one direction on the 7750 whereas the 2824/2836 wind in either direction of the rotor.

Tried doing that, but there was very very much resistance. Almost as something grinding inside the watch. Guessing it shouldn't be like this? Stopped immediately...

KBH

The new Pam 288 that I got was a little tight winding at first. It didn't feel good at all. I've wound it a couple of times and it seems to have gotten much smoother but the crown doesn't disengage from winding when screwing it onto the stem and that makes it feel even worse. Maybe I'll look into it someday if I'm bored and it bothers me.