Sign in to follow this  
dfq23

A post from the "man in the street"

dfq23

We are all idiots and anal freaks...about watches that is. We know about Happy Feet, aligned rehaut engravings arrows on logos but what does the man in the street know about our "hobby"?

I'm a member of a video games forum and they have an off topic page same as us. On there is a thread about watches that has been going for ages. This post was put on there last week which kinda sums up Joe Publics attitude to reps.

"I was in China a couple of weeks ago and ended up in a place called the Silk Market. They had hundreds of fake watches from all the top brands, and they looked it too. I was admiring a Tag Heur at £120 and as I was leaving the stall owner dropped the price to £20.

But most of these watches looked fake. However there was one, a Rolex, really caught my eye. It had a smooth swiping second hand, and really looked the part. I don't know a thing about Rolex but to my untrained eye I'd have said there was a possibility of this watch being the real thing. The stall holder wanted £50 for it, and refused to negotiate.

I read that none of these watches keep good time, and most are very unreliable, but it did get me thinking that either this was a higher quality fake than the norm, or maybe they stuck a real Rolex on display and when someone wants to buy it they get a dodgy fake instead.

Either way I was interested, but didn't buy anything. But now I wish I'd bought the Rolex just as a conversation piece."

TL:DR

If it doesn't tick it must be real and only $50

MetalMickey

Payment sent! Your Ali links would kill them, never mind our TDs!

<RJ>

Even many gen (watch) forums have knowledge at this level...