Sign in to follow this  
samcoolkewell

About PAM104 date mechanism

samcoolkewell

Hi all,

I owned a PAM104 noob version with modified Asian 7750 movement. I noticed that the date change mechanism start kicking in around 11 o'clock and the date change complete during 12 midnight. Now I know that this "slow date change" mechanism is normal in 7750 movement, but is there any "improved" 7750 movement with quick date change where the date will change instantly during midnight?

I knew that the Gen PAM104 is OP III movement. But isn't that this movement is base on Valjoux 7750? Correct me if i"m wrong but the gen PAM104 the date change instantly during midnight right?

And then when Panerai introduce the P.9000 movement, anyone know how's their date change mechanism look like? I know some of the seller selling Rep Panerai with 7750 modified to P.9000 movement. Anybody who own it can advise the difference?

Same goes to those rep AP chronograph with 7750 movement. Anybody who own one can advise the date change mechanism?

mysterio

Date change of the A7750 starts at 10:30 and finishes around past 12. There is no improved version else the factories would be using it. The OPIII, while based on the Valjoux 7750, is not a simple rebranding of the movement. The gen PAM104 which uses the OPIII does change at 12. The P9000 being an in-house designed movement, would be further away from the 7750. The rep movement being called P9000 is merely an A7750 with decorative plates glued on top of it to look like a P9000, nothing more.

All of this is not off the top of my head, I just googled some of it. Some of it I got from the forums by reading (start with ALE's guide stickied in this section), which I suggest you do as well.

samcoolkewell

Hi Mysterio,

Yes i do spend some times reading the forum unfortunately there's little information related to the date mechanism. Most of the thread touched about the flaws or improvement of N or H maker of PAM 104. And even in the discussion forum most of them were more on the date changes issues (when should or should not adjusting the date or what to do when the 7750 movement screw up) which I find it not really a big deal as long as you don't set the date near before/after midnight. I must say my PAM104 never failed me on this.

I did some research on google & youtube and i can safely assumed that the Gen Panerai & AP chronograph adopt their in house movement with instant date change during midnight (Can't 100% for sure since I do not/can't afford to own a Panerai nor AP chronograph, hence this post is up to ask for clarification). So i can conclude the biggest flaw of 7750 movement in Rep Panerai or AP is the date change mechanism? People will know it's fake for sure when they notice the slow date change on the watch during 11-12am midnight. Otherwise in term of craftsmanship I must say Noob maker & others (H, ZF...) did a great job and it's very hard to tell whether it's fake or gen unless there is comparison made along with the gen or the guy is very experiences in this watch making business.

PolonusTM

PAM 104 etc. has quick change date, i.e. this is PAM 164 date change video:

or

On PAMs based on modified 7750 GMT, the date change is not quick, it takes about 20-30 minutes to change (albeit faster than on regular 7750).

Anyway, gen PAMs based on P9000 and P.2000 series have SLOW date change, like in non modified 7750 (hence reps based on 7750 with decorative plates are closer to gen in this regard).

Edited by PolonusTM

samcoolkewell

PAM 104 etc. has quick change date, i.e. this is PAM 164 date change video:

or

On PAMs based on modified 7750 GMT, the date change is not quick, it takes about 20-30 minutes to change (albeit faster than on regular 7750).

Anyway, gen PAMs based on P9000 and P.2000 series have SLOW date change, like in non modified 7750 (hence reps based on 7750 with decorative plates are closer to gen in this regard).

Thanks for the info and yes P.9000 & P.2000 do adopt slow date change instead of the instant date change like what OP III do. However, upon browsing through other forums both P.9000 & P.2000 do not have date change function right? they do have hour hand setting function so the only way to adjust the date is through the hour setting function without interfering with the minute hand (Just like the latest Rolex GMT master II where date can only be adjusted by the hour setting function.)

I read some of the forum where some of them mentioned that the modified 7750 can do instant date change which i really doubt that.. So i hope anyone with Rep Panerai or AP or other brand of watches with 7750 or modified 7750 movement can share some info about the date change over here.

mysterio

It seems you have gotten the information that you wanted already.