Sign in to follow this  
thunder92

newbie question? How does a $100 remake compare to dept store watch?..

thunder92

How would a $100-150 remake of a rolex or tag compare to say a fossil in terms of quality and lifespan? I love the idea of being to own some of these watches at better prices and don't need them to be high high end,but will they last like a inexpensive dept store watch? I'm sure lots of you have enough experience with these to know.

Thanks!

Edited by thunder92

dingle

yes. they will last. do your research first. great read in my signature of what you can expect.

:D

thunder92
yes. they will last. do your research first. great read in my signature of what you can expect.

:D

Thanks, just read the info in your signature about "expectations". That helps. Great site.

greg_r

Depends on the watch (some being better than others) but the comparison should generally be pretty favourable (assuming we're comparing like with like - i.e. quartz vs quartz or auto vs auto).

Welcome to RWG! :huh:

macak011

Mate, I am a newbie just like you and had that same question. Before I ended up here I had four originals, mostly japanese seikos and citizens. All of them are great and I love them still, but in the meantime I have bought two reps and looking for 3rd one right now. One of them is my everyday office wearer, recently arrived, IWC BP 5004 and the second one is Breitling SOH V2 which I like and hold in a box as it was gen! Now I am looking for a PAM, so waiting for my dealer to answer... Take your time to read, read and read about reps following with outstanding pics of them...

After joining RWG last summer I think that only reps will be my new-buys.. Oops, I think I answered your question, am I? :kma:

Welcome to RWG, this place is like home and this hobby is like virus, you'll see! :lol:

KBH

The only thing I ever see in a department store seems to be quartz models. All my reps, other than a couple for my wife, are automatics which are far more high end than what you find at places like Sears.

DenGNNJ

Unless the "factories" where the reps are assembled have the similar conditions (clean, dust-free, humidity control, etc.) and quality assurance protocols as their name brand similarly PRICED counterparts, you will most assuredly ALWAYS get better and more consistent quality from a name brand watch. From what I read on this and other forums, the Asain "factories" where these reps are assembled have little to none of this, which is why dealers that don't drop-ship and actually QC their customer's orders are preferrable over those that don't.

Also ... there's a guy on RWI that repairs watches. He's got lots of pictures of the dirt and crap he cleans out of brand new, seemingly perfectly fine reps and has a queue of people wanting their brand new watches disassembled, inspected, reassembled, and oiled properly.

It's the price we all have to pay for having a $100 Rolex.