Sign in to follow this  
jake

New swiss rep rolex stopped running...

jake

So my new DJ rep from Andrew stopped running today - I've only had it for about 2 or 3 weeks, and worn it a dozen or so times.

Does this happen often? Is there anything I can do short of sending it back to him? I've already contacted him, but I'm kind of upset... I don't want to have to go through the hassle of shipping it back overseas and waiting for it to get here again.

pollux1

Send him an email and ask for a new working movement, then have someone local fit it for you as it's just as expensive to send it back to China plus you have customs worries etc. You should certainly expect at least a year of worry free watch ownership and really it should last a few years before needing serviced. Trusty is pretty good with these matters I remember sending him back a gold Daydate to be fixed and it was returned fine, although in hindsight it would have been much quicker to do it the way I just mentioned. Hope this helps :Whistle:

KBH

He's not going to send a new Swiss movement I would imagine.

Are you sure it just didn't run out of power? Did it start back up when you wound it? Which Swiss movement, the old ETA or the new Sellita?

Might be worth seeing about getting it serviced and splitting the cost with him if it's an ETA since a lot of them are older, surplus and even used movements.

Luthier
So my new DJ rep from Andrew stopped running today - I've only had it for about 2 or 3 weeks, and worn it a dozen or so times.

Does this happen often? Is there anything I can do short of sending it back to him? I've already contacted him, but I'm kind of upset... I don't want to have to go through the hassle of shipping it back overseas and waiting for it to get here again.

Why to buy from dropshipper in the first place?

Josh and Andrew never see the watch!

We have great dealers here - Robert, Mary, Lay, they personally inspect every watch before shipping.

Just my 2 cents.

jake
He's not going to send a new Swiss movement I would imagine.

Are you sure it just didn't run out of power? Did it start back up when you wound it? Which Swiss movement, the old ETA or the new Sellita?

Might be worth seeing about getting it serviced and splitting the cost with him if it's an ETA since a lot of them are older, surplus and even used movements.

Shook it, wound it, and per Andrew's instruction "tapped it lightly against my palm..." :rofl:

It's an ETA movement. Even with the time, cost and customs worries, I think the EASIEST way to take care of it is to just send it back. It's his issue to deal with, so I don't really feel like taking the time to find somewhere to get it serviced and then go back and forth to get it. I'm pretty sure I don't have anyone nearby that'll do it...

Why to buy from dropshipper in the first place?

Josh and Andrew never see the watch!

We have great dealers here - Robert, Mary, Lay, they personally inspect every watch before shipping.

Just my 2 cents.

For the love of God Luthier, I get it - I'm never doing it again! :thud:

jake

looks like I'm going to have the option of just returning but watches I ordered (the other one broke too - won't bore you with the details) and getting 75% back. I think I'm going to do it and just learn a <$100 lesson.

So if I want a DJ - who's the best trusted dealer to go to?

Luthier

Mary or Robert, ofcourse.

Wacko74
Mary or Robert, ofcourse.

Robert of ?

DenGNNJ

Mary = WatchInternational

Robert = PrestigeWatchCo

also ... www.timesshop.net claims to QC 100% of the watches they sell (per their website under section: "Quality control")

you learned the same lesson I did. I didn't realize this was the case until AFTER I had picked a trusted dealer and placed a couple of orders.

even though there's trusted dealears listed here and on other forums, only if you read through the posts do you realize that many dealers just take orders and pass them off to a "factory" that picks the order and then ships them out (drop-shipping). the trusted dealer never see the watch or inspects it to make sure it's okay to send.

the better dealers pick up the watches themselves, inspect them, make sure they're okay, and then ship them out personally. some dealers, ONLY if you ask, will send you photos of the actual watch you're going to get giving you an extra level of assurance that they're inspecting them.

BTW - here's another thing ... you might think so and you'd be incorrect (just as I was), but just because you spend more money doesn't mean you're getting a better watch.

Wacko74

DenGNNJ - Many thanks. :-)