Sign in to follow this  
Dendo

Man sells Rolex for $66,100 (James Bond's)

Dendo

http://technolog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2010/...66100?gt1=43001

By Wilson Rothman

It was one of those eBay listings that antique dealers and horophiles dream of: A vintage Rolex Submariner dive watch, the kind that Sean Connery wore in the early Bond films, with an opening price of just $9.95.

"This is a one-owner watch," wrote Bob, the retired neurosurgeon who listed it on eBay, "purchased by me at the Navy Exchange on Kwajalein Atoll in 1958." He continued:

It has served me well, but Father Time having caught up with me, I no longer dive. For the last several years it has been sitting in a dresser drawer, and now it's time for somebody else to take it over ... Now that I'm in my ninth decade, I'm downsizing and need to unload a lot of what are really just souvenirs. So here's your chance to pick up a rare iconic timepiece.

5614709.jpgThe Rolex Submariner Ref 5510 that the owner bought in 1958 at a U.S. Navy base in the Marshall Islands.

Someone might have indeed scooped it up for a song, except that it started to draw the attention of the watch-collecting community. When Bob saw the bidding rise above $30,000, he was flabbergasted. "I thought it was a mistake!" he told the watch-enthusiast site Hodinkee.com, adding that only then did he ask his son for help researching the timepiece's significance and value.

When the bidding finally ended, three days ago, Bob netted $66,100.

DenGNNJ

Great story ... the guy deserves every cent of that money.

dingle
:thud:

speedzmaster

Somebody should post a vintagized 5510 rep on eBay just to see how much it sells for.

Member X

I thought that ebay listing was completely dodgy but it seems it was true lol

PatronSaintofChainsaws
I thought that ebay listing was completely dodgy but it seems it was true lol

Yep, the old pictures showing him wearing the watch certainly help to validate the story.

There's a good quote from PoyFR on PuristPro about these types of things:

A very good friend of mine, 'AB', recently was offered a Vintage piece; he did not know what to think of it… to help trace the origin which was claimed to be in the family for over 25 years, he simply asked... I only need to see one photo of any member of the family wearing this piece... any picture taken at sporting event, wedding, birth, death, school whichever ... just any picture... My friend is very knowledgeable on the subject... but he respectfully earned his money and he is no foul to part with it just to be the famous and trendiest guy wearing a 'garage' watch!

...<snip>...

I forgot to say, there were no picture ever forwarded or handed to him... and he kept his cash!

ebzen02
Somebody should post a vintagized 5510 rep on eBay just to see how much it sells for.

Where is the slap on the wrist emoticon.. :thud:

houndoggie

looks a little wokky to me.

speedzmaster

Where is the slap on the wrist emoticon.. :rofl:

Isn't it this one? :thud:

Whoever bought it could've gotten a Patek, such as this one.

ryan giggs

Anyone on this forum know much about gen vintage rollies? I have a Ladies 1929 Rolex Prima. I took it to a dealer and he got very excited about it, saying it was made to special order. Couldn,t value it ,but would have offered a good part exchange on a Gen Rolex.????

I,m new to posting, but will try and get some pics up for you all to have a look at.

Dendo

I meant to ask - when cutting and pasted this article the picture came with it - I did not need to insert it the usual way - it just worked. Weird??

Member X
Anyone on this forum know much about gen vintage rollies? I have a Ladies 1929 Rolex Prima. I took it to a dealer and he got very excited about it, saying it was made to special order. Couldn,t value it ,but would have offered a good part exchange on a Gen Rolex.????

I,m new to posting, but will try and get some pics up for you all to have a look at.

Please do post pics, it will be interesting to see it :huh:

I would do a LOT more research before part-exchanging it against a new one! These dealers can offer you a lot less than it is worth...

dano

That is so damn cool! Good on him!

ryan giggs

Hi Guys,

some pics of the 1929 Rolex Prima, somebody gave me as they didn,t like it cos it looked too dirty! Spending the last 20 years in an old jewellry box.

Took it to a dealer who checked up the serial number which is visible on the caseback. 1929. I have no intentions of trading it , its fantastic. Manual wind. lens and case part to reveal the movement which works perfectl with running seconds at 6 o'clock. It is 9ct rolled gold, not the original strap.

Was going to send to Brightlight for waterproofing!!! wot do you think??

If anyone knows anything about this particular model please PM me as I do not seem to be able to find out much abot it.

Ryan

http://s1187.photobucket.com/albums/z381/ryangiggs1/

trailboss99

Where is the slap on the wrist emoticon.. :lol:

I gave up, once an idiot . . .

This Rollie has even been tested by the man of steel himself.

Ever seen Super man doing the dishes? http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/2010/12/6/int...ay-listing.html

speedzmaster

Where is the slap on the wrist emoticon.. :)

I gave up, once an idiot . . .

:lol: