Sign in to follow this  
docbp87

Parnis (IWC) Pilot's Chronograph Homage

docbp87

Received this Parnis watch a few days ago and now that I've had time to warn it for a while, I thought I'd post some pics and tell you about it. I picked it up from an eBay auction, and am definitely pleased with it for the price (which was a mere $35.00, plus shipping of a few bucks). It has a quartz Miyota movement, which has proven (as expected) to be flawless. The one and only problem with the watch is that the date wheel seems to be misaligned. There is a dot on the wheel between each day. The wheel seems to be lined up such that the dots show for 24 hours, instead of the day. I plan to take her apart, and see if I can get the day to line up properly. The chronograph is awesome, and unlike the terrifying time bombs that these type of watches use if they are mechanical (7750 anyone?) the Miyota quartz seems to be solid as a rock, just like their mechanical movements. The strap it came on was absolute garbage, so I quickly swapped it out for a County Comm two ring ZULU in tan, which looks wayyy better. Finally, only the hour, minute, and small-second hand are lumed, but it is some kind of super luminova, because they are very bright, and stay visible for a good long while (several hours in the dark, after wearing it all day under a mix of artificial and natural light). I wish that all six hands were lumed, but whatever!

I have been cruising eBay for Parnis/Homage watches, and there are a ton on there listed as Buy it Now for around 100 bucks, but if you look at the auctions, you can pick these things up for an absolute steal. I have seen sterile Rolex Sub homages go for as little as ~$40, same for PAM homages. Just gotta keep your eyes peeled, and jump at the right time. I'm really impressed with this thing overall. I've had my eyes on Parnis watches for a long time, and have always heard that the quality was great, but I never had the balls to go for one until now, and I have zero regrets, and I highly recommend Parnis if it is something that has your interest piqued.

A few pics, including a size comparison next to an Explorer II:

47331a01-1b96-447c-a11d-20bfd772dc2d_zpsgucn9fiq.jpg

4df893a6-36de-4c3e-95bc-07f18ec6149a_zpsxs6sehmn.jpg

1213cae1-f9fb-431f-982c-a77e5746f054_zpsyvsps8q0.jpg

WatchDog21

Not bad! For $35 I would have snatched it up also.