Sign in to follow this  
boka

First gen purchase advice

boka

So hey guys. I'm pondering making my first gen purchase, and I was wondering if the bright minds at RWG might be able to help me out.

Basically, I'm looking at an omega seamaster bond quartz (2561.80) and I'm wondering if it'd be cheaper to buy the watch below in its current state and get replacement parts, and have it serviced, rather than trying to find one in mint condition.

kacnWGo.jpg

So I guess my questions are as follows:

A) Do you think this is a gen watch in the first place? It sadly doesn't come with documentation and so I'm relying on better eyes than mine to spot if it's a fake or not.

B) If the watch is genuine, is there a point in buying it at 600 ish dollars to get replacement parts for it and have it serviced?

powderfreak

1) Not really educated on quartz-fakes, so I'm afraid I can only say that I haven't heard of quartz SMP reps. They might be around tho!

2) It comes down to how anal you are... seeing this I'd say you certainly have to replace the crystal and insert. Then have the case, bezel and bracelet polished by an expert. Last but not least the dial (and hands) could use some work (relume) - having all that done by some local watchmaker makes it easily 1100-1200$+, Omega stores will be more expensive. Not sure if I'd go through that.

TheSav

That looks in terrible condition. Be patient and safe a bit more for something in better nick. If you are tight on budget and must have Quartz there are always some SMP's on watchrecon for reasonable prices.

plankton

I agre with my friend above... You will wish you didn't wait longer. Replacement parts are really expensive, wait and save.

boka

I had never heard of watchrecon before and found a different one in better condition immediately. Thanks guys!