Sign in to follow this  
DenGNNJ

Best Shippping Method Back to China?...

DenGNNJ

I have a new watch that must go back to the trusted dealer for repair. What's the BEST tracable shipping method to use back to China from the USA (USPS, FedEX, UPS, etc.)

Thanks!!!

KBH

Same answer as before.... Ask the dealer what he or she wants you to do, unless you want to get stuck with all the liability if it gets lost.

PGL

You know what? I find myself in the same situation. I don't live in the US so I can't help you at all. I have two watches to send back for exchange or repair and when I went to the post office yesterday morning the price was so high (in relation for what the watches cost) that I am even doubting sending them back.

Our national post office service was recently "privatize" (used to be public service) and prices have gone through the roof in very little time :(

DenGNNJ
Ask the dealer what he or she wants you to do, unless you want to get stuck with all the liability if it gets lost.

Okay ... I'll email PureTime and ask them which shipping method they think I should use.

By the way, one of the members on the other forum is telling me there's a 95% chance that the parcel will be seized by China customs. This doesn't seem likely to me. Any thoughts on this?

KBH
Ask the dealer what he or she wants you to do, unless you want to get stuck with all the liability if it gets lost.

Okay ... I'll email PureTime and ask them which shipping method they think I should use.

By the way, one of the members on the other forum is telling me there's a 95% chance that the parcel will be seized by China customs. This doesn't seem likely to me. Any thoughts on this?

Didn't Puretime send you any return instructions along with an address to sent it to?

I don't think the seizure rate is that high at all. I've only heard of it happening a couple of times in the last few years since I've been doing this. I've sent several back via standard air mail for about $7.00 a piece and had no problem other than one got lost for over a month. I'm not sure if Josh lost it or the PO.

Anyway, Josh requests Standard Air Mail only from the US. He says it's the safest for Chinese customs.

Lately I've just been having them fixed rather than sending them back, but I no longer buy any of the 21j models and haven't had much problems other than minor issue on a a7750 chrono movement.

DenGNNJ

Didn't Puretime send you any return instructions along with an address to sent it to?

I don't think the seizure rate is that high at all. I've only heard of it happening a couple of times in the last few years since I've been doing this. I've sent several back via standard air mail for about $7.00 a piece and had no problem other than one got lost for over a month. I'm not sure if Josh lost it or the PO.

Anyway, Josh requests Standard Air Mail only from the US. He says it's the safest for Chinese customs.

Lately I've just been having them fixed rather than sending them back, but I no longer buy any of the 21j models and haven't had much problems other than minor issue on a a7750 chrono movement.

Nikki @ PureTime sent me these instructions: "...ship back with good tough packing with all the details of defects found, by some low cost shipping company but with an online traceable Tracking Number." As you can see, she wasn't specific at all which is why I asked the question to begin with.

The reason I'm now having high concerns about sending it back to China are two-fold. #1 - If the watch gets lost or seized while in transit I'm out over $400. I haven't found any discussion regarding a dealer replacing a watch that's been lost or seized while on the way BACK to them. #2 - The watch has an #A7750 chrono movement which from what I understand, has been a problem for many. If I send the watch back and they repair or replace it, what assurances do I get that I'll receive it in proper working condition?

Perhaps spending some $$$ to get it fixed and NOT risking the $400+ I paid for it is the best option in the end. Right now I'm unsure which decision is the right one. I'm thinking that maybe I should bring this up with PureTime and see what they can offer. In the past three weeks, I bought 8 watches and spent over $1600. That's got to count for something, no? Thoughts???

narikaa

Best Shippping Method Back to China?

According to Bing that would be a Slow Boat

:rofl:

KBH

Assuming it's a watch you plan on keeping for a while, I'd seriously consider having it serviced. Maybe PT will split the cost with you?

Does USPS even have a traceable service. Seems to me they said they can only guarantee tracking until it leaves the US, but I'm not sure.

DenGNNJ
Assuming it's a watch you plan on keeping for a while, I'd seriously consider having it serviced. Maybe PT will split the cost with you?

Does USPS even have a traceable service. Seems to me they said they can only guarantee tracking until it leaves the US, but I'm not sure.

Yes I'm going to keep it ... I'm a watch hoarder. I still have the very first watch I bought when I was 17 ... a very cool Seiko, grey analog dial, with an alarm on it that you set by turning the crown ... but I digress.

I'm going to ask PT to do that ... split the cost. I purchased a lot from them, perhaps they'll make some sort of concession.

Re: Shipping via USPS to other countries .... my sister does eBay and ships overseas. I think what happens is that once the parcel passes to the postal authority in another country, the USPS reports that as such and then waits and relies on that authority to pass information to them that they can relay on their tracking system. If the postal authority is unreliable, then the information could be delayed or even lost.

Balad1

There is no tracking for USPS airmail or priority mail, only delivery confirmation. There is a difference, delivery confirmation confirms that an item has been received (IF) it gets there. If lost there is no means to track.

Edited by Balad1