Sign in to follow this  
UmpaHimself

Panerai 508 V2 "Lite" V6F Review (Updated w/ Lume Shot)

UmpaHimself

I would like to start this review by stating that the only other PAM Sub I've owned was the previous version of this watch so forgive me if I misstate something.

That being said I am really thrilled with the quality of this watch, besides the obvious upgrade of being DLC coated metal to full ceramic. I'm not sure exactly how they produce these cases but the lines are so straight, everything is symmetrical, everything is sharp. Unlike some stainless PAMs I’ve got in the past the finish is completely even, no strange bumps or unfinished portions.

17161597919_69264be379_b.jpgPanerai 508 Face by tylerswatches, on Flickr

The dial is fantastic, great finish on the subdial and the printing is slightly raised and shiny. Great depth with the lume and hour markers, really looks gen IMO. Hands are nice and clean. The CP seems to be pretty flush and nicely polished. Lume is vintage yellow with a green glow. Doesn’t glow super bright but it’s definitely not dim and lasts as long as you would expect. This brings me to one of my three criticisms of this watch… The pearl color. I believe there is a cover over it similar to the Rolex pearls because it seems like it’s a little dark underneath, not filled with enough lume.

17161597799_989d5cb617_b.jpgPanerai 508 Dial & CP by tylerswatches, on Flickr

17160325318_0033fe7a84_b.jpgPanerai 508 CP by tylerswatches, on Flickr

The bezel is also great. Same clean cut lines as I stated above, and the turn feels just amazing. Solid clicks, turns smooth all the way around, almost no play at all and lines up right at 12. Numbers and markers are all painted extremely clean. Same goes for the crown guard, leaver and crown itself. My second complaint with the watch is the spacing between the inside of the crown guard and the crown itself. The crown can rub a little bit on either side if you are trying to set the time fast. I think it’s the fact that the crown has a little play in it so if it’s not held straight it can touch, but it can be prevented.

17321846876_8a000e7757_b.jpgPanerai 508 Left Profile by tylerswatches, on Flickr

17321846636_08663fe41c_b.jpgPanerai 508 CG by tylerswatches, on Flickr

16727578253_fd0b1dd60e_b.jpgPanerai 508 Pearl by tylerswatches, on Flickr

17160021548_305c652e94_b.jpgPanerai 508 Right Profile by tylerswatches, on Flickr

Caseback looks fantastic as well. All engravings look perfect. I don’t know how close it is to gen but it looks damn good to me. At certain points it seems that it extends beyond the back of the mid case where it meets the case back but ultimately not wider then the widest part of the mid case. I would say less then 1mm. Maybe .5 or less.

17345928782_4a93585974_b.jpgPanerai 508 Caseback by tylerswatches, on Flickr

Lastly the band. We all know that rep straps are never great, but this one really takes the cake for shittiest strap ever and is my third criticism. But I didn't expect much so I am not loosing sleep over it. The one thing it has going for it is that it does look very close to the gen strap, but the construction is ridiculous. It's actually painful to wear and I'm assuming would irritate the shit out of your wrist if worn for and extended amount of time. But I have a gen strap on order so that should be resolved shortly. The buckle is great and I will be transferring it to the next strap. All in all this watch is fantastic and if it's possible to relume the pearl I think it would be a super rep if not already.

17160252900_95444e2bf4_b.jpgPanerai 508 Buckle by tylerswatches, on Flickr

Lume shot:

WHvTaZt.jpg

Dilodoli

Very nice review mate :D

Boycie

Nice review and a cracker of watch you have there Ump, congrats :)

Can't wait to see it on the Gen strap.

baxter

yep top review Umpa ..... it really is a cracking rep this one, one of the best i've had, which made it such a shame that i didn't actually like it on the wrist, even though i didn't wear mine i was really sad to see it go ..... i'm thinking of going with the 441 as it's a little smaller.

TheSav

Great write up and awesome pics. I think the most disappointing thing is that they didn't match the Colour of the bezel markings to those of the dial. Other than that it looks pretty good.

UmpaHimself

Very nice review mate :D

Thanks!

Nice review and a cracker of watch you have there Ump, congrats :)

Can't wait to see it on the Gen strap.

Thank you, I am looking forward to it as well. To be honest I kind of bought it on a whim from ebay and have a second strap coming in as well so we'll see which one I stick with.

yep top review Umpa ..... it really is a cracking rep this one, one of the best i've had, which made it such a shame that i didn't actually like it on the wrist, even though i didn't wear mine i was really sad to see it go ..... i'm thinking of going with the 441 as it's a little smaller.

Thanks man. I didn't think you would shy away from a 47mm PAM Bax :lol: I would go for the 438 though, that ceramic bracelet is killer looking. They have a light version of that now too. Under $400, closer to $350.

Great write up and awesome pics. I think the most disappointing thing is that they didn't match the Colour of the bezel markings to those of the dial. Other than that it looks pretty good.

Thanks. It actually looks pretty close in person.

Deez Natz

I wonder how that finish will hold up, though. Is it the same coating/finish as the the 438?

norrie

I read the gen is the same though.

UmpaHimself

I wonder how that finish will hold up, though. Is it the same coating/finish as the the 438?

From what I understand the entire case is made from ceramic so it's not a DLC finish but I believe it can chip if you're not careful. I pray that day will not come :lol:

Not sure myself

mysterio

From what I understand the entire case is made from ceramic so it's not a DLC finish but I believe it can chip if you're not careful. I pray that day will not come :lol:

Not sure myself

The midcase is ceramic, not DLCed metal. What I've seen of gens posted on Chrono24 show that the lume on the dial does not match that on the bezel.

nunu78

May I know the price and TD name please?

norrie

I think Sead (super mirrors) has them for $309.

mysterio

You can get it from any TDs I would presume as this isn't exclusive.

nunu78

You can get it from any TDs I would presume as this isn't exclusive.

thanks mate.

UmpaHimself

I got it from FatPanda for about $350

I think Sead (super mirrors) has them for $309.

Wow, crazy price.

UmpaHimself

The midcase is ceramic, not DLCed metal. What I've seen of gens posted on Chrono24 show that the lume on the dial does not match that on the bezel.

Ah, so the Crown, CG, Caseback and bezel are DLC coated steel you think? That would make sense. Bezel looks amazing on this one though compared to the previous rep.

mysterio

Ah, so the Crown, CG, Caseback and bezel are DLC coated steel you think? That would make sense. Bezel looks amazing on this one though compared to the previous rep.

Sorry, I misspoke. As far as I can tell, all the parts of the case are ceramic based on how each part feels (which is pretty much uniform suggesting a single material).

HeavyKrush

Not a fan of DLC watches but happy you're happy Ump. Nice write up.

mysterio

Not a fan of DLC watches but happy you're happy Ump. Nice write up.

It's not DLC though, but real ceramic. I would have been content with DLCed Titanium to approximate the weight and the look of ceramic but fortunately with the release of the PAM441 and 438 came the PAM508 (and PAM292 and PAM607) from KW/V6F.