Sign in to follow this  
Phantomtech

Full review of all 5227 watches in all metals. (Pic heavy)

Phantomtech

I know what your thinking, please not another 5227 review! Well, too damn bad.

The Patek 5227 is one of my grails, I just love the simplicity of these modern calatravas. As soon as I saw this Miyota version released I knew I needed it in all three metals. So here is a full review of all three watches, plus a full comparison to the older a2824 version.

First the head shot, they got the case profile very close to the gen look, as DC already mentioned it is about 1mm smaller than the gen but the rep looks very balanced and it is a non issue for me. The dial will never be 1:1 because apparently PP puts in a lot of work to get that perfect ivory lacquered look. These watches do have a light hint of ivory but not nearly enough. It still looks similar to plenty of photos of the gen in similar lighting.

The rose gold is mounted on a Jacobstrap with calatrava buckle, looks and fits awesome! I ordered high gloss straps for these watches to make them even more closer to the gen look.

xR2fBu.jpg

irHi7w.jpg

im7Si9.jpg

Ma7MAm.jpg

OLJ0XV.jpg

hmfM5C.jpg

ZFnCYn.jpg

Next up is the side profile, the Miyota really came through here. The case thickness is great and the lugs are very similar to the gen tapered look.

QjsFcE.jpg

Ng5F1V.jpg

RoX5KM.jpg

The caseback and movement. The officer caseback is a bit floppy but that can be expected. The interior mirror finish is great and the Miyota movement as always looks very clean.

o7oBA8.jpg

F11HNP.jpg

qOyxWd.jpg

MizqU7.jpg

mR1Yr3.jpg

O6LGeG.jpg

oazK3H.jpg

YVI18j.jpg

cANqKG.jpg

BFiTfM.jpg

The wristshots, the case sits low on the wrist which is awesome and has a thin profile but still great wrist presence for a dress watch. Homerun in my book.

3P5J15.jpg

k8X8Ku.jpg

daGpYB.jpg

jxB7m4.jpg

HxaFo2.jpg

jQ5jQ4.jpg

3dkNRO.jpg

EIcFTh.jpg

bfbC9u.jpg

1lXn5Y.jpg

Well there you have it, all three metals. I love them all but each serve very different occasions.

Part 2:

Here I will compare the current Miyota Rose gold to the older A2824 model.

First up is the headshots. The first thing I noticed is that the Miyota has an awsome AR crystal while the A2824 does not. It is not necessarily closer to gen but it make the Miyota dial stand out more.The Miyota has a thicker bezel which shows off more metal and is similar to gen. The color of the Miyota gold looks richer than the A2824 which almost looks a bit faded, it is hard to capture this in photos. The A2824 case diameter is spot on with the gen while the Miyota is about 1mm off. Dial color is pretty much the same. The hour marker at 3 is now fixed on the Miyota.

Tyf2RL.jpg

nkKoZt.jpg

The side profile, you can clearly see how the Miyota is thinner than the A2824 and how the lugs are now perfect. The Miyota has a very similar look to the gen while the older model is simply off.

kPykOd.jpg

TNOYjC.jpg

0mPtlX.jpg

The dial printing is thinner on the Miyota than on the A2824.

ybzEum.jpg

UgQu86.jpg

You can see here how the Miyota dial sits higher and closer to the crystal than the A2824, this makes a big difference to the whole look.

HkBImg.jpg

Caseback and movement. Caseback looks pretty much the same. The hinges are different, the A2824 is springloaded which makes it more floppy than the Miyota. The Miyota has the genlike polished interior while the A2824 is circle brushed. Also, the Miyota movement looks way better but the A2824 is way quieter.

A2824:

ZvIfAg.jpg

mqFsib.jpg

Miyota:

1A5xNM.jpg

FwU33s.jpg

Wristshots. The A2824 is a thicker case and therfore sits higher on the wrist and doesn't look as nice. The Miyota sits flat with the wrist which looks way better. The Miyota buckle has genlike dimensions while the A2824 is too big.

A2824:

87gJfI.jpg

pNiLRv.jpg

0cmbYr.jpg

eyszvZ.jpg

Miyota:

VKUzdc.jpg

AAWv2P.jpg

OJvLKJ.jpg

In summary, the A2824 is a nice watch but it really doesn't look a whole lot like the gen. Between the better bezel, the higher dial, the thinner more tapered lugs, the richer colored gold, the correct buckle size, the polished inside of the caseback, the better looking movement, the Miyota is a no-brainer here. The 1mm off dimension is a very small trade-off of what we actually get.

Thanks for looking, it's been nice.

Edited by Phantomtech

Evak

very nice, love it

_DC_

I'm so freakin' jealous, I will definitely be picking up another one of these in rose gold. Mine is with the engraver and I won't see it till the 27th now!!

Awesome and very thorough review mate, puts mine to shame!!

DC

tomsegura

Those look amazing mate! The dark brown leather on rose gold is on my list for sure!

All stunning peices

GoW13

I know what your thinking, please not another 5227 review! Well, too damn bad.

There are never enough reviews, especially when they are as awesome as yours!!

Even though I don´t really fancy that watch (it´s just to simple/boring), I enjoyed reading your text and looking at those pics.

Thanks for your effort :)

Phantomtech

I'm so freakin' jealous, I will definitely be picking up another one of these in rose gold. Mine is with the engraver and I won't see it till the 27th now!!

Awesome and very thorough review mate, puts mine to shame!!

DC

Whatcha talking about? You pointed out a bunch of things that I should look out for and unknowingly contributed alot to this! I apologize for not giving you more credit!

Phantomtech

At the end of the day, it is hard to do these watches justice with photos, in real life they look even better!

Martijn0007

Great review mate :)

Lovely pieces. I think it's time for me to pick one up.

Edited by Martijn0007

_DC_

Quick tip while I remember, if you're putting a deployant clasp on you should switch the straps over so the short end sits bellow the watch.... #justsayin

DC

Phantomtech

Quick tip while I remember, if you're putting a deployant clasp on you should switch the straps over so the short end sits bellow the watch.... #justsayin

DC

Why is that?

_DC_

DC

Why is that?

I confess I'm not sure, but I've had it both ways and it is a little easier to open when it's this way round...

3DA98563-052C-4326-99DA-7818D01E8889_zpstzwhlygt.jpg

DC

Godfathar

Dear Phantomtech, Many many thanks for a great contribution.. :)

UmpaHimself

Great review and pics. I can only imagine how tiny one of these would look on my wrist though :(

OLDBLOKE74

Between you and DC I reckon you have generated hundreds of orders for our TD's

great post :thumbsup2:

Phantomtech

DC

Why is that?

I confess I'm not sure, but I've had it both ways and it is a little easier to open when it's this way round...

3DA98563-052C-4326-99DA-7818D01E8889_zpstzwhlygt.jpg

DC

Ok, I will try it, thanks for the tip!

Phantomtech

Great review and pics. I can only imagine how tiny one of these would look on my wrist though :(

I have close to an 8" wrist and these look pretty good as dress watches. Has great wrist presence.

Between you and DC I reckon you have generated hundreds of orders for our TD's

great post :thumbsup2:

I wish the TD's would see that as well and start giving me discounts :P

UmpaHimself

I have close to an 8" wrist and these look pretty good as dress watches. Has great wrist presence.

Ah, good to know. Maybe that's why it looks extra small :lol:

jakethemouse

I've been tossing and turning whether to get a Naultilus 5711 or Calatrava for the last month but reading your reviews have convinced me to get a 5227. I've decided to get it from Toro or PC but to make sure I'm ordering the right one what's the different between the two I've linked below and what would you recommend? I noticed one says 38.5mm X 9.5mm and the other is 40mm X 11mm.

http://www.torobravo2015.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=102_266&product_id=1556

http://www.pf-818.com/pp00801-5227-calastrava-auto-ssle-p-17030.html

I've learnt a lot reading these forums but am still a noob.

Thanks in Advance

Robeng

In my opinion the newer version from BP with the Miyota movement is the best.

go to patek philippe reviews and read DC'S

Comparison of the 2 versions.

I've had the miyota version for a couple of weeks and it really is a lovely watch.You will need to get a good quality alligator strap to really finish it off.

I like it so much I've ordered the rose gold version as well!

Good luck.

Godfathar

I've been tossing and turning whether to get a Naultilus 5711 or Calatrava

Let me cut the whole process short. no matter which you will choose to purchase, you will end up buying both in the end. so I suggest you order both from now. :)

_DC_
I've been tossing and turning whether to get a Naultilus 5711 or Calatrava for the last month but reading your reviews have convinced me to get a 5227. I've decided to get it from Toro or PC but to make sure I'm ordering the right one what's the different between the two I've linked below and what would you recommend? I noticed one says 38.5mm X 9.5mm and the other is 40mm X 11mm.

http://www.torobravo2015.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=102_266&product_id=1556

http://www.pf-818.com/pp00801-5227-calastrava-auto-ssle-p-17030.html

I've learnt a lot reading these forums but am still a noob.

Thanks in Advance

Hi Jake

To clarify, there is no difference between the two watches you linked to, they are both the Miyota or "BP" version of the watch, Toro just has the sizes wrong!! Trust me, it isn't 40mm!!!

DC

Robeng

That's right..what I meant was that the miyota 9015 is a better version than the older A2824.

Both of which are available from Toro.

"Beter " meaning more gen like although both are pretty nice.Question of personal taste.

_DC_
That's right..what I meant was that the miyota 9015 is a better version than the older A2824.

"Beter " meaning more gen like although both are pretty nice.Question of personal taste.

Haha, just 'fess up Robeng, you didn't click on his links so you thought one was Miyota and one was A2824 :P

DC

jakethemouse

Haha, just 'fess up Robeng, you didn't click on his links so you thought one was Miyota and one was A2824 :P

DC

He had this noobie all confused :)

Thanks for the feedback guys. Looks like ill be finally joining the PP club.

jakethemouse

Thanks for the help guys. The 5227 looks even better in the flesh.