Sign in to follow this  
hkbob

a WTF moment in my favor. The Sequel

hkbob

I ordered a couple of reps on Taobao (not my pics, but exact same watches), and decided to return them.

So I certified-mailed them back to the seller at my expense. The seller disputed the return. I got Taobao involved, and prevailed. Eventually I got a full refund, minus the seller's shipping expense. Between the two shipping charges, I am out about $12.

A couple of months later, the watches I mailed back got returned to me. The recipient failed to pick up the package for too long.

So now I got all my money back (minus $12 for shipping), and two brand new rep watches. I have kept them running - both are keeping good time & fully functional.

Meanwhile, the seller's store on Taobao closed down, and he never tried to contact me.

WTF, is what I said.

To all those who got the short end of buying reps - this one is for you !!!

P.S. I.......L-O-V-E........Taobao

UGHYuI.jpguntitled24.png

wolfwood

Wow, that's one for us! :q5:

Xpletiv

So, why did you return them originally?

hkbob

I got sent a rose-gold plated Longines instead of a stainless steel one.

The 50 Fathoms was fine - didn't look as sharp as I had hoped, and I wished I got black instead of blue - I was indifferent about keeping it, but since shipping was going to cost the same sending 1 or 2 watches back, I decided to send both back. Taobao has strong protection for buyers.

The Longines is a very genuine-looking replica. Major downside is the rotor is not smooth - you feel it turning on your wrist - everything works fine though.

Every detail is good with 50 Fathoms (and the a2824 feel very robust & runs very smoothly) except the shiny part which frames the hour/minute hands and all hour markers look cheap - I can't imagine a gen looking like that (although I never saw a gen). The blue face was a letdown; the color was a bit dull.

Stuvetjee

I got sent a rose-gold plated Longines instead of a stainless steel one.

The 50 Fathoms was fine - didn't look as sharp as I had hoped, and I wished I got black instead of blue - I was indifferent about keeping it, but since shipping was going to cost the same sending 1 or 2 watches back, I decided to send both back. Taobao has strong protection for buyers.

The Longines is a very genuine-looking replica. Major downside is the rotor is not smooth - you feel it turning on your wrist - everything works fine though.

Every detail is good with 50 Fathoms (and the a2824 feel very robust & runs very smoothly) except the shiny part which frames the hour/minute hands and all hour markers look cheap - I can't imagine a gen looking like that (although I never saw a gen). The blue face was a letdown; the color was a bit dull.

Cant you upload some pics? Would love to see those ''cheap'' reps :lol:

rawbaws

Is the longines a proper 7751 version?

hkbob

Yes, the Longines is a proper Asian 7751 movement (Shanghai). Everything works as it should (moon phase, chronograph, complete calendar, 24-hr indicator). Word on the street has it that this is not a proven movement; also no word on reliability or durability, but it handles like a real ETA 7751 - except for a rough rotor, as mentioned. I went out of my way to check out a genuine Longines before ordering it - this one looks a lot like the gen. Longines counter told me there are two sizes for this 7751 watch: 40mm & 42mm. The one I got is the 40mm.

Sorry I never figured out how to upload my own pictures (not allowed due to my still newbie status ??), but the two earlier pictures are pretty much right on (except 1- Longines is rose-gold plated & has white-stitching brown leather band, and 2- FF has grey-stitching black band). Picture of a genuine blue-face FF below for comparison.

The FF looks "off" at first glance because 1- bezel is a darker shade of blue than the face, 2- the lume part is a pastel green rather than white, 3- the 3/6/9/12 look different from the gen, and just don't look well executed, and 4- the white letters on the face look pale, not rich, like not enough ink was used. The seagull 2824 clone runs great, though. Also great sapphire crystal & bezel, very genuine looking case, side, band & pretty much everything else.BLANCPAIN%2BFifty%2BFathoms%2BDate%2B%26%2BSECONDS.jpg

Xpletiv

You're going to have to keep posting so that you can post actual photos of what you got.

No offense, stock pics, obviously, don't help with evaluation. We like to see what's out there, the good, the bad, for future notice and to show others what to do or not to do.

Thanks.

hkbob

Happy to post my pics - if anyone can give me a quick step-by-step

I am normally not this dense with computers .......

WatchDog21
Happy to post my pics - if anyone can give me a quick step-by-step I am normally not this dense with computers .......

check my signature help for both Photobucket and Flickr

Xpletiv

^thanks for helping:)

hkbob

Here you go

FF1.jpg

FF2.jpg

FF3.jpg

a7751a.jpg

a7751b.jpg

a7751c.jpg

a7751d.jpg

Edited by hkbob

rawbaws

They look the same as the versions our TD's offer.

Prices?

hkbob

Your not allowed to sell here

Mazz

Edited by Mazz

JSJ

Prices, why? Do people want to buy these watches from me ?

Interesting thread, thanks. And I am impressed by the working moon phase which I didn't know was out there in repdom.

But you really aren't allowed to sell here yet and you are breaking quite a few of the sales rules with that post.

hkbob

Prices, why? Do people want to buy these watches from me ?

Interesting thread, thanks. And I am impressed by the working moon phase which I didn't know was out there in repdom.

But you really aren't allowed to sell here yet and you are breaking quite a few of the sales rules with that post.

Sorry. I am not really a seller. Only because somebody asked.

On the moon phase, I am pretty sure there are others.

I own the blank one below, but there are plenty of exact same watches with PP name on it.

a fantasy PP, I believe

Seagull st1908 hand wind with chronograph, moon phase & date

PPnot%2520actual.jpg

Xpletiv

Those look pretty damn good! Thanks for posting.

Might PM you to get the link for the BP.

And where did you get the blank PP, by chance?

rawbaws

I was asking what you paid for them, not what you would sell them to me for.

Something fishy here?

hkbob

Those look pretty damn good! Thanks for posting.

Might PM you to get the link for the BP.

And where did you get the blank PP, by chance?

You can find them in Taobao.

I think since the recent Taobao crackdown on reps, many went underground

Some start posting blanks on Taobao, and sell branded reps through private chat - exact same watches, but blanks are allowed

A couple more pictures here to entice :)

blank%2520Cali.jpg

blank%2520Lange.png

torobravo

What kind of payment method you used on taobao and how you managed to register and pay with alipay in first hand, unless you are chinese.

hkbob

I do it with a bank debit card, through online payment. For this you need to have an RMB bank account, which can be done in China, HK; elsewhere you can try your neighborhood Chinese bank. (In NY, Bank of China offers this, as far as I know.) An alternative is get a Chinese contact to open an onshore RMB account (with online banking setup) and let you use the account as your own.

I also know of people who used credit cards, such as Visa/MC. and got their stuff.

All this requires a level of fluency in Chinese, because neither Taobao nor online banking is very English friendly.

hkbob

I think blanks are great, because people seem even more impressed by "where did you get that ??", than "how much did it set you back".

The other thing is, when they sell blanks, they are selling content, so they need to be very specific: what movement, crystal, size, material, etc. You end up getting great value for your money.

Btw, this is likely the next in my collection. A German Flieger with Seagull ST36 movement (6498 clone), dome sapphire crystal - all for under $100. I almost feel bad for the seller ......

blank%2520flieger.jpg

Xpletiv

Does the seller have more than one? That's what I want to know!

hkbob

Does the seller have more than one? That's what I want to know!

Depends on the movement. Some are plentiful, some hard to come by.

The ST36 is plentyful. They'll sell you as many as you care to buy.

The ST19 (hand wind chrono) was harder to come by. I had to wait a couple of weeks before ordering.

The turby (Hangzhou 3310) started with 10, and now only has 2 left. I don't know of any other blank turby's.

There are also plenty of blank Rolexes & Panerais