Sign in to follow this  
Foxindebox

Foxindebox's review of the Grand Seiko SGBX063 9F Quartz

Foxindebox

The Grand Seiko SGBX063 9F Quartz

IMG_3945_zpsizre1nxs.jpg

Right then... Where do I start?

This watch has long since been a grail piece for me. I have always loved a Seiko, especially the diver's watches (SKX007/9, Orange Monster and the 6309 with the Turtle case). The Grand Seikos I had seen were automatic hi-beat ones from the seventies. As soon as I saw them, I knew I had to one day own a Grand Seiko myself.

Lately I have been getting more and more into Gens such as the Magrette Reggatare and the better finished end of the Seiko collection such as my SARB033 and Blue Sumo, and I came to the decision that I must have a Grand Seiko, even if it was to be at the cost of the better part of my Rep collection (I'm sure some of you had seen my sell off thread?).

I went in search of a Grand Seiko SGBX063 via all of the usual JDM sites (even though this particular model is available in the UK) for the best price I could find. I eventually decided to buy through Katsu San at Higuchi-Inc who, as many of you will know, is an authorised dealer based in Japan. I cannot emphasise how glad I was that I decided to buy through him. The communication was faultless and everything was as expected. I did end up having to pay the customs charges (about 20% of the purchase price) and the £13.50 to Parcelforce for the handling fee, but as I said, this was expected as Katsu San is an AD and quite rightly, does not mark down the value of the parcel. TBH it is probably for the best as the watch can then be insured for the full value in case it goes walkabout.

Anyway, even with this extra cost, I have saved a SIGNIFICANT amount over UK retail………

IMG_3926_zpslvb8xnur.jpg

So on to the watch itself.

The Dial

As you can hopefully see from the pictures, the finishing on the dial is exquisite. I don't think I have owned a watch where this level of attention to detail applies (and I have a few very nice Gens). The hour markers are a work of art. Crisp, perfectly polished and due to the way that light is reflected perfectly off the beveled surfaces and facets, there is no problem seeing them in poorly-lit conditions (no lume on this baby I'm afraid). The rainbow of colour that bounces off these bad boys is mesmerising. I have spent ages just looking at the dial and playing with the light, it's gorgeous.

IMG_3909_zpsitijto5x.jpg

The Champagne colour of the dial is absolutely beautiful as well, and really does change colour in different ambient lighting from a light silver to an almost gold metallic sunburst. You could sit studying this dial with a loupe for hours

IMG_3935_zpsgxzqqvx1.jpg

IMG_3930_zpsx8zlrlk9.jpg

As for the hands. These are really solid, chunky, dauphin hands that have a finely brushed surface with a highly polished edge, again reflecting the light to assist in reading the time in low light settings. Amazing to think that these are hand crafted.

You will rarely see hands of this type and quality on any other Quartz watch, as the Seiko 9F movement has a twin-impulse motor which provides more torque, which in turn allows the use of larger, thicker hands (in this case, the same ones used on the Automatic models).

IMG_3914_zpskw9xq0hi.jpg

Another feature of this highly accurate movement is that the second hand has a backlash auto adjust mechanism (a tiny spring attached to the seconds hand to you and me) which gives the most precise tick I have ever seen. I mean this thing is very precise, nay, extremely precise... The seconds hand hits each marker with unerring accuracy, no bounce or wobble and has to be seen in comparison to an ordinary Quartz watch to fully appreciate it.

The Case

The quality of finish on this case is second to none in my collection. Whilst the polishing and brushing on the case of my SARB is excellent, it doesn't even come close to this!

There are lovely, swooping lines along the length of the case to the lugs (complete with spring bar holes so I don't scratch the bugger when taking the bracelet off) and beautiful polishing to the sides, the bezel and also in-between the lugs (the rest of the case having a very finely brushed finish). The Crown is a standard Grand Seiko affair, with the GS motif appearing in a raised circle.

Obviously, even though the 9F movement is wonderfully finished, with Geneva stripes (or should that be Cote-du-Morioka?), there is a closed case-back with the GS lion motif. I think as there is very little in the way of visible movement, this is entirely appropriate.

GrandSeiko9F%206_zpslzzkgjs1.jpg

As for the size, it wears quite well for a 37mm piece. Not to big or small but just right (this is the Goldilocks zone...). I find this watch to be both unassuming and very elegant, this is not a watch that screams "LOOK AT ME... I HAVE A MASSIVE PENIS AND CAN PLEASURE A WOMAN IN MANY WAYS". No, no... This just quietly whispers "Get your coat, you've pulled" and gets away with it.

IMG_3920_zpsz3k0gtj8.jpg

IMG_3924_zpsy8opnwza.jpg

IMG_3923_zpsnvfmpr4f.jpg

IMG_3922_zpsq6au5c5y.jpg

The Bracelet

The only slight (and I am talking very slight) disappointment is with the bracelet. Don't get me wrong, as with the rest of the watch it is finished very well with fine brushing to the main face of the links and the same lovely polishing to the edge. It just feel a bit light... That may be down to the amount of large divers watches I usually wear, it's really a small detail, that does not detract in any way from a fine watch. Removing a link to resize the bracelet is easy with the correct screwdriver. There are basically two grub screws on either end of the link, with a free floating bar in-between. There are two half-links that can be removed for a closer fit. Unfortunately, there is no micro adjustment to be had in the clasp itself.

The clasp is well made though, featuring again the brushed/polished finish combo and raised GS motif. Also I must comment on the extremely well made SEL's which may look slightly like standard Seiko jobs, they are anything but I promise you. Fit and finish, as with the rest of this watch is superb.

So my final thoughts on owning and living with one of my Grail watches (which I will summarise in bullet points below).

Do I think that this watch is worth the increased premium over some pretty spectacular JDM auto's?

• Yes, absolutely. Whilst they are beautiful pieces in their own right, this is a proper step up in quality and craftsmanship (all assembled by hand).

Why not have the piece of mind of buying from a UK AD?

• Just look at the numbers is all I will say... You could have a brand new one of these for £1050 + £200 VAT with a years guarantee versus paying £2000 from Seiko UK. It's a real no brainer, but I completely understand that it is an expensive leap of faith for a first time buyer.

How much wrist time has this been getting?

• Other than showering and sleeping, this watch has not left my wrist. I fucking love it

IMG_3918_zps8i4cy14s.jpg

IMG_3915_zps0r9bdklc.jpg

Would I buy another Grand Seiko? - In a heartbeat, no doubt. Bring on the springdrive :)

All the best

Rich

RUSH2112

Worth the wait. Great pics and write up.

Pharmo

:drool: :drool:

Lovely pictures and a great write up. Really enjoyed reading. Thanks for posting mate.

Skyman dave

That's a georgeous looking watch mate, very understated but oozing with class. I can see why you love it so much. Congrats on the purchase of your Grail watch and may it serve you well enough in the years to come.

GoW13

Nice text, even better pics! But somehow the watch isn´t anything for me. It´s a bit to plain and boring.

But that´s not important, I hope you enjoy it :)

Wear it well!

Edited by GoW13

Piccolo

Thanks for the great review and lovely pictures.

A GS was on my list already and this has confirmed that even more so.

Enjoy it lots!

Gazzla
hoskom4.jpg

Foxindebox

Thanks very much guys, glad you enjoyed it :)

WatchDog21

Nice review on a fantastic Seiko. Pictures are great as well. As much as I like Seiko, perhaps one day I will acquire one as well. Enjoy!

MetalMickey

My God that is stunning. Think my second big ticket quartz purchase is on its way...

LightGeek

Quartz suck. Knowing that, so how much would you sell it for? :giggle:

MoveAlong

Thanks for the great write up! Also, love your new sig banner.

Sakurai

Pure class.

Though it's very nice as a whole, as for details I especially like the crafted hands and hour markers. Your pics tell the Grand Seiko story very well, and what a story it is! Enjoy, and wear it in good health for a long time to come.

trailboss99

Very nice indeed mate, congrats.

Foxindebox

Thanks once again folks :)

Genius

great write up and photos, thanks for taking the time to do this

Mike on a bike

Very nice wear in good health.

Hmm 37 at 40 mm I would have seriously considered it, not gonna cut it on my 8.5 + wrist.

Daywatch

Well worth the wait for the sharp pictures and Your thoughts on the GS. Beautiful dial. Thanks for the insights. Wear it well.