Sign in to follow this  
Gazzla

1968 Grand Seiko Gold Cap - Mini Review

Gazzla

Hey Gang

Recently added to the collection a rather splendid vintage Grand Seiko. :D

This Grand Seiko was manufactured in 1968. It has a glorious calibre 6146-8000, hi beat, 36,000 BPH movement, housed in a gold capped, stainless steel case. It's a truly gorgeous time piece.

Some pics with a more detailed analysis as we go:

Case:

vvTVDut.jpg

36mm stainless steel with gold capping. Gold capping is similar to plating but much thicker. Typical gold plating is around 30 microns or so, whereas gold capping is typically 200 microns or 0.2 mm. Gold capping is achieved by heating sheets of gold onto the top and sides of the case, effectively 'capping' the case in gold. The underside of the case is lightly brushed SS. 18mm lug width. It's not in bad nick for a near 50 year old piece.

You can see from the pic below the thickness of the capping especially around the lugs:

ZlpAxsi.jpg

Caseback:

The caseback is fairly standard Seiko fare with a GS gold disc logo in the centre. It tells us that this is indeed a gold cap model and that movement is a calibre 6146-8000.

The serial number, 8N1427, tells us that it was manufactured in Japan in November 1968. We can deduce this by deciphering Seiko's serial numbering system. The first digit, in this case the '8', refers to the year in the particular decade it was made. But how do we know it's 68? Why not 58 or 78? Now we have to do a bit of detective work. We know that Seiko only made this movement calibre between 1967 and 1974, so the '8' can only be 1968. The 'N' that follows means November. Seiko uses the numbers 1-9 for Jan to Sept then 'O' for October, 'N' for November and 'D' for December. The following 4 digits, 1427, denote the particular piece in that year.

Any Seiko can be dated in this fashion.

QdL441g.jpg

Movement:

This is the interesting bit and the main reason for acquiring this beautiful piece.

The movement, as previously mentioned is a calibre 6146-8000 made between 1967 and 1974. It runs at 36,000 beats per hour and sweeps round with refined elegance. It truly is mesmerising. The crown operation is solid with quick set date, however the day needs to be adjusted by moving the hands forward. Seconds hack and it manually winds, too! Usual GS crown marking.

It runs like a dream and my preliminary observations are that it gains 4 secs a day.

pN60kHP.jpg

TQyIqEf.jpg

Qad8rvd.jpg

Dial:

The dial is silver and has taken on some patina and a little minor flaking over the years. It's accentuated by gold hands and markers and day/date window borders.

M7MqG8q.jpg

L2kP6qu.jpg

Strap:

It came on a generic vintage croc strap that I've since donated to Frazzle for his vintage JLC project. I've temporarily put it on a gorgeous RIO strap - the one in the pics - while I wait for a proper Seiko strap to arrive:

lSii0WA.jpg

vOnONJY.jpg

Now all I need to do is give it some Cape Cod loving and it'll be ready for a photoshoot!

I'll leave you with this. The Grand Seiko calibre 6146-8000 accompanied by another favourite masterpiece: Beethoven's Fur Elise:

That sound you can hear at 14 secs is me cracking open a beer! :beer2:

Gaz :D

Kcore
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

WatchDog21

Some interesting information you have provided along with such a beautiful vintage Grand Seiko. I know it is on the smaller side for you but I am going to guess we still won't be seeing this one in m2m anytime soon; a keeper to just have in the collection.

Frazzle

Wow - Absolutely stunning and most certainly mesmerising!

Genius

Amazing watch, and great pictures already can't wait for the photoshoot

porschespeedster

super super nice. cheers.

ellistyle1

wowza. merry christmas

Robin195959

Lovely example of a classic watch. Gorgeous.

Foxindebox

Awesome Gaz, lovely mate :clap:

Kmazn19

Amazing classic watch! But what's more amazing is you can play the piano and crack open a beer at the same time, well done, Sir!

griffon22

that's Special Gaz, unquestionably a keeper .

Ishmael

A refined piece for a refined gentleman of unequivocal taste.

:D

Callumz

It's a beauty!

Where did you pick this up? I wouldn't mind a similar one :)

Del

Very nice pick-up mate. :thumbsup2:

JSJ

Wow! Quite something.

Looking forward to next week on M2M!

Gazzla

Thanks all for your kind comments. :bow:

MrWhite

Stunning. Looking forward to the photoshoot

Gazzla

Some interesting information you have provided along with such a beautiful vintage Grand Seiko. I know it is on the smaller side for you but I am going to guess we still won't be seeing this one in m2m anytime soon; a keeper to just have in the collection.

Thank you. I thought the dating of the serial no. would be of help to some that have older Seikos. :D

I seem to be going away from big divers etc, to smaller stuff. Fuck knows why . . . :daffy:

Daywatch

Wow, stunning classic, amazing dial - special thanks for the vid:)

Piccolo

Very nice pick up, congrats... I love that these "quick non photoshoot" photos are miles better than anything I've ever taken!

Enjoy the watch lots!

Gazzla

Wow! Quite something.

Not a fucking chance, Graham. I may flip stuff a bit quick, but this is going nowhere. :wub:

JSJ

Wow! Quite something.

Not a fucking chance, Graham. I may flip stuff a bit quick, but this is going nowhere. :wub:

Hmmm, strong echo in here...

No but seriously, I don't blame you mate. It's a real stunner and a proper watch.

WatchDog21

Wow! Quite something.

...crossing fingers that Gaz changes his mind... :giggle:

In all honesty I would NOT let it go either!

Gazzla

Wow! Quite something.

Hmmm, strong echo in here...

No but seriously, I don't blame you mate. It's a real stunner and a proper watch.

Thanks. I absolutely love it. Being 'gold capped' it will take on a decent polish and I'll post photos thereafter. :D

MoveAlong

Nicely done, mate! The SARB must have helped pave the way for accepting a smaller size? I'm not a gold man, but I would be all over this GS!

Again... wow!!!!