Sign in to follow this  
PhillyRock

Special perks for Certified watchmakers and Jewelers?

PhillyRock

I've been to hell and back again looking for parts for specific watches that will accept GEN parts.

Gen date wheel, gen handset, gen crown, etc etc easy enough to pick up off the bay...........

But what about those parts you need to order from the watch makers directly. I've been told that

parts I'm searching for are as cheap as $6.00 bucks, but unless you have a certification number

the watch manufacturer will NOT sell you the part or item unless you have THEIR certification.

What the hell is the deal? Do watchmakers/ watch repairmen and jewelers have a special window

of opportunity to order from these parts?

I completely understand the taboo and the stigma of Reps in the eyes of Watchmakers. I understand

that family names and reputations, long standing chains of trust and position inside the watchmakers

professional circle are earned over a lifetime. But what I do not understand is why an individual needs

a certification number to buy a part.

I want to ask any certified watchmaker here on the board if they are able to order parts from:

Longines, Brietling, Hamilton, Bell & Ross or Panerai

to please contact me for a potentially lucrative business opportunity.

LunchMoney

I'd be willing to bet that as part of that certification that the watchmakers get, they are bound to adhere to certain rules like not purchasing and re-selling parts. The penalty would be to lose your standing with the company. AD's have a similar agreement to sell watches at a certain price, otherwise they would sell them on the sly cheap to make more profits would be my guess.

I have certain professional certifications and training that allow me to break into computers, networks, and phones. The rules state that I can't break into them for fun and profit without the express written permission of the owners of said devices. The risk of doing such, is to lose my standing on those and future certifications. And no, I won't break into your wife's phone to see if she is cheating on you even if you bought the phone for her.

jmshen

I can only speak for Rolex parts because I have a good relationship with a watch repairer who has a Rolex parts purchasing certification. I've talked to him on a couple of occasions about this just because I thought it was interesting. Rolex is pretty stingy on allowing non-Rolex affiliated individuals to buy sourced gen parts. Each part he buys must be fully cataloged and documented into which watch he repaired. His contract allows Rolex to step into his office at any time, without warning, and do a full inspection. If there is any evidence that he is selling parts or working with any replicas he will lose his parts license and is up for damages. I don't know if his Omega contract is as strict (don't own a gen Omega so never talked to him about it).

Edited by jmshen

WebWind

I don't know if his Omega contract is as strict.
Omega is the same. All parts must be documented. So if you order 10 crystals for Moonwatch and you put 10 times same watch serial number it is very suspicious. Omega has some online environment for authorised services so everything is under strict control. I was told this in one authorised jewellery shop.

Undinist

Rolex is pretty stingy on allowing non-Rolex affiliated individuals to buy sourced gen parts. Each part he buys must be fully cataloged and documented into which watch he repaired.

So this answers my question: can I buy a genuine strap for the leopard Daytona? A big fat no. :(

Daffy

Sure you can! Only $1,390. http://www.ebay.com/...YEAAOSwMvtZVpZ9

That only took me 30 seconds to find. Not that hard, right?

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

onzenuub
:rofl:

RepGuy

You can buy anything on the deep web

Undinist

Jiminy! You could get a whole leopard for that.

RUSH2112

We had a "certified" watchmaker that received the perk of banning.