Sign in to follow this  
JerAnt

Xeric Halograph Chrono Silver

JerAnt

When the Xeric Halograph Kickstarter campaign was active in early 2015, I wasn't sure about the design and ultimately let the opportunity to pick up a Halograph automatic as a supporter pass by. However, I found I could never scratch the itch the campaign planted and so I recently decided to pre-order a Halograph silver quartz chrono. That way, I figured I'd get to see if I truly liked the design in person without splashing out the cash for the auto. The chrono has now arrived.

Basic Specs

• The outer layer of the 22m wide strap is a black premium calfskin leather, and the blue inside layer appears to be some sort of man-made creation that doesn't seem to be either rubber or silicone. If you've ever felt Nerf anything, that is what the inside layer material feels like.

The leather outer is nice and soft with an almost buttery feel, and while the man-made inner material was stiff initially, it is quite comfortable and flexible once worn.
23822083783_d2c8bf5556_c.jpg24422670636_0c4e1666ce_c.jpg
  • The 316L stainless steel case diameter is 44mm, and the height is 11mm. The domed K1 mineral crystal adds 5mm to the height.

• The case provides 3 ATM water resistance.

• The movement is the Myota JS50 chrono with second, minute and 24-hour registers.

The (Minor) Not So Good

In my opinion, the packaging is horrible. While the box has an attractive external cardboard sleeve, the box itself is made entirely of flimsy feeling cardboard, complete with fake wood grain exterior and cheesy felt-like material glued to the interior. My particular shipment must have bypassed QC as well because the interior assembly holding the watch not only hadn't been glued in place, it was actually upside down in the box.

24448885585_f527deef01_n.jpg

Not a big deal I suppose - the watch is the important part of the package - but the box delivered a very bad initial impression and had me thinking that if the box was that bad, the watch was going to absolutely suck. Really, the worst packaging of any watch I've ever purchased at any price.

The Neutral

The chrono function works well, but the pushers have a spongy feel during operation (rather than a solid click as with any other chrono I've ever used). I'm not sure if it's the pushers themselves, or just normal operation for this particular Myota movement. Again, not a big deal, but it does mean you likely have to be watching for the chrono to start when you use it or be left wondering whether you've pressed hard enough.

24340599922_c0e395c04b.jpg

The Goodness

The watch is comfortable to wear, and with it in hand now, I think the design is both unique and attractive. While it won't appeal to all, especially those who don't like alternate time display approaches, I'm quite happy I finally picked one up. I don't think I love it enough to want to spend list price on upgrading to the auto version - but I will be keeping an eye out for an inevitable sale.

Anyway, on to the bulk of the pictures, starting with the face.

24422670846_2182c09f35_c.jpg

24081092089_e2972e7373_c.jpg

23822083243_a5e45fa62b_c.jpg

The domed crystal is the bees knees!

23822083243_a5e45fa62b_c.jpg

24448887005_179253cbf4.jpg

Polished buckle and case back with the Xeric logo.

24153273870_1c5913eea2_c.jpg

24422671706_1876b090f0_n.jpg

A final wristie taken while out and about on a rainy Sunday.

24081091909_657f68f477_c.jpg

rawbaws

Really interesting piece.

How do you use it to tell the time?

fatarms

So is the Miyota chronograph movement in this watch a quartz or hand wind mechanical?

NodgerRocks

0a41d96555194c454a1fd27b87cc1609.jpg

My auto says hi!

JerAnt

Really interesting piece.

How do you use it to tell the time?

Ha ha! It should tell the time? What would you use your phone for? :giggle:

It's actually not too bad. The outer set of two arcs are used with the red circle on the longer hand to read the minutes, and the inner set of two arcs are used with the blue circle on the shorter hand to read the hours. The little white disc in the middle spins to count off the seconds.

In the 2nd picture of "The Goodness" section above, it reads 3:04 am (with the am coming from the 24-hour subdial - it was actually pm when I took the picture, just didn't have the time set correctly).

JerAnt

So is the Miyota chronograph movement in this watch a quartz or hand wind mechanical?

Definitely a battery powered quartz. There is a non-chrono automatic version of this watch that I believe uses a Chinese-made S-01 caliber (whatever that is).

JerAnt

0a41d96555194c454a1fd27b87cc1609.jpg

My auto says hi!

Cheers, looks great! I like the look of the double balance wheels.

Lorenzo8

HI guys!

I'd like to buy a XERIC watch, probably the Squared, any warnings/advice? On the internet there are some not very happy reviews of these watches, so I'm asking you what do you think of it

Thanks, bye