Sign in to follow this  
mag8

Tudor Pelagos - Long Term Impressions & pics

mag8

Had this watch for about 3 months now, it is my daily wearer.

I originally planned to buy a rep Submariner as in my field of work "if you don't have a Rolex, you're a nobody", so I wanted to make fun of these snobs. The Submariner is too shiny though for me, and I always liked Tudor, so I got myself a Pelagos.

Great watch, this is a ZF version, with a chinese 2824 movement, which is both surprisingly accurate and reliable. The power reserve is above 24h (not sure as I tend to use it every day, but if I miss one day, it is still running), which really surprised me.

The case and bracelet is made of titanium, both lighter and less shiny than SS, so it depends what you like.

The bezel has perfect action, 60 clicks uni-directional, but the original one has a stronger click at the 12h position which the replica lacks.

Lume is so and so, takes a while to charge but sometimes it lasts for a long time, I haven't figured out why only sometimes...

After using it everyday, it has some scratches, especially on the clasp as i use it while typing on a computer, so that's to be expected.

The clasp also has the came functions as the original, which is pretty cool. Look up on youtube some gen functioning examples, it is pretty marvellous and handy.

Pics show some wear after 3 months of use, but I expected more wear from Titanium

2GdDHoy.jpg

tNwaUOV.jpg

zIXZdkQ.jpg

Zx5il1G.jpg

0Q9yICe.jpg

PDUSETY.jpg

oThEKgx.jpg

fKX7qiB.jpg

Genius

Nice photos, its good to see a review a few months down the line and not straight after unboxing to show how its holding up.

Looks like the lume has got a bit stained, don't know if that's just the pictures and if that is a normal thing to happen?

2hot2trot

It would be nice to see a lume shot.

mag8

if you mean the lume on the bezel insert, yes. The insert does not have any finish on it, and the numbers have grooves where the lume is inserted. With daily wear, it becomes "dirty" and if you are not careful you could scratch it. not sure how Tudor dealt with it in the genuine one, unfortunately i've never been close to it.

i also managed to scratch the lower right lug of the case while opening a can with the tool. no biggie, I now say "i bought it cheap cuz some asshole scratched it and sold it to me"

mag8

It would be nice to see a lume shot.

you guys are so demanding.

SbMhs0T.jpg

BluffCityBandit

i also managed to scratch the lower right lug of the case while opening a can with the tool. no biggie, I now say "i bought it cheap cuz some asshole scratched it and sold it to me"

Nice thinking!

I had been curious how the titanium (especially in the rep) would hold up over time... but yours looks to be in really good shape to me for 3 months of wear.

Also, please don't post too many more pics... I may have to buy one myself!

mag8

Nice thinking!

I had been curious how the titanium (especially in the rep) would hold up over time... but yours looks to be in really good shape to me for 3 months of wear.

I don't know about you, but when I buy a 300$+ watch I assume it will last YEARS. it does not matter whether it comes from China or Switzerland, it's 2015 and factories should know how to build their stuff.

Any swiss titanium watch will last you a long time, so I would be very disappointed if this does not. My dad has a titanium Citizen since 2008 iirc, it has some scratches but nothing bad.

If a watch has too much wear on it, I blame the crappy factory! Don't get fooled :)

NFleischer

Those are very good looking watches and the rep does it justice IMO. I have that and the Z Factory BB, original version-

both holding up very well.

mag8

Pics or it didn't happen :)

Daffy

Could the difference in lume sometimes lasting much longer, be charging from actual sunlight? I've noticed that most of my watches charge faster and last longer into the night that way...

mag8

I don't know how lumes work, so cannot judge. I live in the netherlands and we see the sun probably once a month, so that might be the reason why.

Cleebeauregard

Nice thinking!

I don't know about you, but when I buy a 300$+ watch I assume it will last YEARS. it does not matter whether it comes from China or Switzerland, it's 2015 and factories should know how to build their stuff.

Any swiss titanium watch will last you a long time, so I would be very disappointed if this does not. My dad has a titanium Citizen since 2008 iirc, it has some scratches but nothing bad.

If a watch has too much wear on it, I blame the crappy factory! Don't get fooled :)

It doesn't have so much to do with the manufacturer of the watch as it does with the materials themselves. There is a lot of confusion about titanium, principally due to misunderstandings surrounding the claim that it is "stronger than steel". While titanium has a higher tensile strength to weight RATIO than steel, it does NOT have a higher absolute tensile strength; in fact, for items of the same SIZE (not weight), steel is considerably stronger than titanium. More importantly, unless it is alloyed with specific materials or treated in such a way as to make it harder, titanium is considerably softer than steel, and will scratch quite easily. Some manufacturers, such as Seiko, use their own proprietary titanium for their watches-- I believe Seiko refers to theirs as "Brightz Titanium", which is supposedly 1.5 times harder than standard titanium, and therefore more resistant to scratches. I would assume that Tudor and other "upscale" watch manufacturers also use similar, proprietary material for their own watches...

Left Coast Guy

Great pics. I love mine, a bit bulky on the wrist maybe but a really stunning rep....one that credits this hobby well.

I also love it as a thumb to the nose to the Sub owners....it's like a young mans sub, more style, less stale.

james19801980

I really like this one - might make it onto the list.....

Member X

Nice thinking!

It doesn't have so much to do with the manufacturer of the watch as it does with the materials themselves. There is a lot of confusion about titanium, principally due to misunderstandings surrounding the claim that it is "stronger than steel". While titanium has a higher tensile strength to weight RATIO than steel, it does NOT have a higher absolute tensile strength; in fact, for items of the same SIZE (not weight), steel is considerably stronger than titanium. More importantly, unless it is alloyed with specific materials or treated in such a way as to make it harder, titanium is considerably softer than steel, and will scratch quite easily. Some manufacturers, such as Seiko, use their own proprietary titanium for their watches-- I believe Seiko refers to theirs as "Brightz Titanium", which is supposedly 1.5 times harder than standard titanium, and therefore more resistant to scratches. I would assume that Tudor and other "upscale" watch manufacturers also use similar, proprietary material for their own watches...

I keep reading about Type 2 and Type 5 Titanium, the latter being more scratch-resistant?