rolex321

Rolex Submariner 5517 Milsub build on a budget.

rolex321

Hi,

Just thought I'd share my first build with everyone. This is my first build so go easy ha.

It started off as a cartel 1680 with a 21j movement, purchased from josh at perfect clones.

This was intended to be a budget build.

Then I carried out the following mods:

Drill lugs to 2mm to accept 2mm 316 steel bar for fixed bars. This was done with the watch in a vice and a hand drill. Slowly does it. Bars were then inserted, cut to length with a Dremel cutting bit and then ground back and polished. No need to micro weld, these things are solid.

Crown is to deep on the cartels so the stem/crown was put in a drill bit, and filed down with a bit of sandpaper wedged between the drill chuck and base of the crown. Not a perfect finish but it does the job. Really didn't want to lay out on a gen crown/tube.

Next came the dial. I purchased a 5517 dial from Helenarou, who kindly agreed to age it for me slighty. I've tried reluming before on a 5513 dial and completely destroyed it. A job really best left to the pros.

Sword hand set was purchased from rafflestime. This was the most accurate set I could find. The minute hand is correct (although I later discover to long for the 26mm dial) unlike all the other sets. The second hand however is of the seamaster type. This was cut down and reshaped. They were then dipped in acetone to remove the lume, and colour matched to the dial as close as I could get.

Bezel was purchased from cousins UK. Full military spec with the correct minutes all the way around. It however had the later pip with the metal surround. Not correct for this watch so I popped it out.

Cartel superdome was swapped over a Sternkreuz tropic 19. This dropped straight onto the rehaut without any sanding. The retaining ring however was loose against the crystal so a bit of GS hypo cement solved this problem. The outside edge of the crystal also needed shaving by .3mm as the bezel wouldn't fit over it.

Finally I stuck it on a grey NATO. Really sets these watches off I feel.

Just needs the correct length minute hand, a polish up, bezel pip and an engraved caseback to finish. Anyone have a case back for sale?

Now for the pics:

26640232973_4a85c92e95_k.jpg

27176464541_307e027c53_k.jpg26638415324_7041ee597b_z.jpg27176075561_fdf02db5c5_z.jpg26639720293_b35a5c0da1_z.jpg27211127986_8fb42c4eab_z.jpg26638427354_73c3d831cf_z.jpg26638439854_c8bf12d37c_k.jpg

Edited by rolex321

Robin195959

When is now? Sounds worth seeing buddy.

rolex321

Sorry couldn't post pics from a phone. Will get them up in a few mins.

NCRich

Nice work! Wish the pics were bigger. I like the build.

rolex321

Thank you. I'll see if I can get them enlarged.

rolex321

Nice work! Wish the pics were bigger. I like the build.

Pic size now sorted.

Edited by rolex321

Jackflash

Very nice. Congrats!

Rower

Great build! The 5517 is one of my favorites.

What was your total cost?

rolex321

Thank you. Total cost were roughly:

Cartel 5513 $130 + shipping

Helenarou Dial $60

Dial aging $30

Rafflestime Sword Hands $25

Sternkreuz T19 $20

CousinUK milsub bezel insert $20

Grey NATO $10

2mm 316 steel bar $7

Total cost roughly $347

SuperHero

Kickass job. Budget or not!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rolex321

Thanks for the kind words.

vinnychase1

Looks great, good job. I've never really looked at the Cartel's before, so nice to see this posted.

phone

Very nice my man.

rolex321

Thanks gents. This may be in the M2M section soon. Been sat in my desk since I built it sadly