Sign in to follow this  
stefan202

Comparing Rolex Pro Hunter's

stefan202

As the title states, I'm looking for some input into which of these 5 Rolex Pro Hunters is Best? By "Best" I mean, the most accurate REP, but also the most durable and waterproof(able). Without further ado, let's get started:

ToroBravos Rolex Pro Hunter GMT Master Mk1 PVD Black - $238

Case: Black PVD

Bezel: Full Ceramic Bezel

Movement: Their description states it's a Swiss 2836-2 Automatic, but there's also a dropdown for an ambiguous Asian movement. I'm not sure if it's a Japanese clone movement or what...

Crystal: Sapphire

Strap: Black PVD

Water Resistance: ?

Aootime's Rolex Pro Hunter GMT Master II - $318

Case: PVD-plated 316L SS w/ correct engravings between lugs.

Bezel: Full Ceramic Bezel, 24-clicks, bi-directional.

Movement: Nickel-plated Asian 2836-clone 25 Jewels, modified to look like the Rolex Cal3186.

Strap: Black Nylon NATO-esque w/ Deployable Buckle

Water Resistance: 50 Meters

Kuvarsit's Rolex Pro Hunter GMT Master II Classic - $238

Case: Ceramic-plated 316L SS

Bezel: Bi-Directional (I assume similar to Aootime's variant?)

Movement: Swiss ETA 2836-2 Automatic 25 Jewel

Strap: Black Kevlar NATO-esque

Water Resistance: 20 Meters

Aootime's Rolex Pro Hunter GMT Master II - $288

Case: PVD-plated 316L SS w/ correct engravings between lugs.

Bezel: "Real" Ceramic (Coated or Solid Ceramic?)

Movement: Swiss ETA 2836-2 Automatic Movement

Strap: PVD-plated 316L SS Bracelet

Water Resistance: "You can wear it to swim." ?

Kuvarsit's Rolex Pro Hunter Deep Sea Sea Dweller - $280

Case: PVD-plated 316L SS

Bezel: Unidirectional Engraved Ceramic

Movement: Asian ETA 2836-2 25 Jewel Automatic

Crystal: Domed Sapphire, like Gen.

Strap: PVD-plated 316L SS w/ New Design Diving Extension Bar

Water Resistance: 50 Meters

I will say that I am partial to a Red-Second Hand and the GMT Master Mk1 Bezel design/font.

If I'm missing one that you think I'll like, that also costs around $250, please let me know. I want to get the best bang for my buck.

northantsrich

Interested in the answer to this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

northantsrich

The DSSD seem to be the best. Having said that I personally feel they are a little large on the wrist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baldrick

:vomit:

:loadacrap:

Gazzla

Who's got the best . . .

Never mind, carry on . . .

My pizza was rubbish:

HHf0Pdq.gif

northantsrich
Who's got the best . . .

Never mind, carry on . . .

My pizza was rubbish:

HHf0Pdq.gif

That's the problem with this forum. Seriously most of the threads when you try and search for something are full of this crap. Why can't we actually have some proper debate on this so it will help others in the future.

The fact is you can't trust anything on the TDs site when trying to make a serious decision. When you ask an opinion on the forum you usually get slammed with the "use the search box" bull crap.

Gazzla

[That's the problem with this forum. Seriously most of the threads when you try and search for something are full of this crap. Why can't we actually have some proper debate on this so it will help others in the future.

The fact is you can't trust anything on the TDs site when trying to make a serious decision. When you ask an opinion on the forum you usually get slammed with the "use the search box" bull crap.

You're absolutely right sir.

Instead of spending a few hours down the pub with few mates I should of been researching Pro Hunters so the OP could make a positive decision.

My apologies. :D

Robin195959

WTF. A shit thread about even shitter uglier watches. Who cares it's like asking which turd smells the nicest.

bearlowry

SERIOUSLY MAN, CAN YOU STOP BEATING ROUND HER, UM, THE BUSH & JUST TELL US HOW YOU REALLY FEEL ABOUT THIS POST/QUESTION???!!!

jeez...

;)

RichardMiami

This thread seems to be going well...........

giphy.gif

northantsrich
This thread seems to be going well...........

giphy.gif

Cool gif

Baldrick

SERIOUSLY MAN, CAN YOU STOP BEATING ROUND HER, UM, THE BUSH & JUST TELL US HOW YOU REALLY FEEL ABOUT THIS POST/QUESTION???!!!

jeez...

;)

I feel OK about the post\question......it's the POS watch that I can't stomach :B):

stefan202

Wow...

Why not just suggest something to influence my decision toward's one you do like but that is similar?

I've used the search function, I've poured over the information on each of the TD's sites, and I've compiled that information about the Reps I'm interested in into digestible descriptions in the hopes of finding an answer from those of you who are more versed in these watches than myself. Commenting on these rep's apparent crappy-ness because you spent more on your rep, is like complaining about someone's used Yugo because you bought your's brand new. You both drive fucking low-quality Yugo's.

That said, this was going to be my first Rep Rolex, so maybe I'll just stick with Panerai's and Breitling's.

Edited by stefan202

NCRich

I don't believe it has anything to do with the price. Black Rolexes get little love. I have nothing against them except they are not to my taste and they are easy to scratch.

stefan202

See that's the kind of information that's nice to know. I've never had a PVD-coated watch, so considering it's supposedly the same coating as the Gen's, I would have thought they were pretty durable.

That not being the case, may turn me off of them pretty quickly once I digest it and reconsider other options.

Do the black Panerai's have the same issue?

fatarms

See that's the kind of information that's nice to know. I've never had a PVD-coated watch, so considering it's supposedly the same coating as the Gen's, I would have thought they were pretty durable.

That not being the case, may turn me off of them pretty quickly once I digest it and reconsider other options.

Yes, reps are PVD coated. Most gens have DLC coatings which is more durable, and cost a heck of a lot more. That's why replicas use PVD, to keep the cost down. As a result, they coating tends to scratch easily.

Left Coast Guy

First, I think part of the problem is that by posing this compare/contrast question, you've just tossed out a slew of noob questions you should probably know the answer to already if you've done any reading on this site. For example, "swiss" mov't doesn't really mean swiss -- factories stopped being able to get new ETA mov'ts long ago, so what you get is a reclaimed or refurbished swiss mov't with some mix of used swiss parts and new asian parts. From experience (and the general consensus of forum members) these mov'ts suck.....but TDs keep selling them, because some people (mostly idiots) keep demanding them. Not knowing this basic background on the mov'ts doesn't make it seem like you've "poured of all the information" or even done your homework at all. Asking which rep will be the most waterproof pretty much confirms that point -- hint, not rep is waterproof until you grease the seals and pressure test. So in that respect.....this just looks like another "who's got the best sub thread"

Aside from all that, Rolex doesn't make any PVD/DLC watches, so in that regard don't buy a black Rolex if you care about accuracy to gen -- they aren't going to be near gen because they aren't gen. The only thing you can really sort out here is reliability and in that regard, if you did research on the mov'ts, you'd learn that an Asian 2836 is probably your best bet -- its a good mov't that should be very reliable in any watch you choose. Looking at all the option you have posted here, the first one from Toro seems to be the best deal, a A2836 for $238 is a good price for a good watch. That said, all are probably pretty equal choices, so I'd buy what you like aesthetically.

Baldrick

There's your clue right there....."Rolex DON'T make any PVD / DLC" watches...that's why these are a POS....just an opportunistic company trading on the brand in order to separate drooling mouth-breathers such as you from their spondoolies.

FFS...you'very been here for over 2 years and learned nothing. ...'ceptin how to ask questions you should already know the answer to!!!

On a final note. ...there is no such animal as a 'water-proof' watch....only varying degrees of water-resistance...dictated by build quality /seals etc etc. ..!

chats

ok, here is my honest answer,

dunno about the most accurate and waterproofed watch, seems a lot of BS to me. HOWEVER, do get the pro hunter GMT with the two tone bezel (Black-Purple ones), throw away the bracelet, get a black nato strap put on your wrist and get those pussies. seems to be the best color combination and nice looking option...IMHO

northantsrich

Yes, reps are PVD coated. Most gens have DLC coatings which is more durable, and cost a heck of a lot more. That's why replicas use PVD, to keep the cost down. As a result, they coating tends to scratch easily.

I have had a 21j rep PVD Daytona for years and it's not got a scratch!! My brother used to ware if every day!! I don't think it scratches easily at all...,

Nikola Tesla

I have had a 21j rep PVD Daytona for years and it's not got a scratch!! My brother used to ware if every day!! I don't think it scratches easily at all...,

This.

I've banged one of my Pro Hunters around plenty - to the point of putting dents in the case, but the coating remains intact. The PVD holds up a lot better to abuse than the gold shite.

Cheers!

T-

:sillywalk:

Baldrick

This.

I've banged one of my Pro Hunters around plenty - to the point of putting dents in the case, but the coating remains intact. The PVD holds up a lot better to abuse than the gold shite.

Cheers!

T-

:sillywalk:

Yeah....but it doesn't look anywhere as nice :B):

narikaa

Will the PVD scratch?

Will the gold stay on?

Is it waterproof?

Is there AR on the inside or the outside of the cyclops?

Why is the date stuck on '3'?

Why does the date change at midday?

How do I set the time - Ive pulled on the crown but dont want to break it?

If I swallow it will I choke?

Why do people pick on me?

What's the phone number for that assisted suicide outfit

GenTLe

They are durable. But of course if you are going to scratch a SS watch, these will be similarly scratched but more visible due to the colour contrast.

Black and unscratchable? Real ceramic case... But never drop them!

GenTLe

Hi mate, just for clarity, it is good to avoid confusion here.

As far as I have understood, DLC is a form of PVD.

PVD refers to the method used to put a layer of material over an object: Plasma Vapour Deposition.

DLC stands for Diamond-Like coating which is one of the possible materials used in PVD treatments. And not even the hardest.

From WUS:

DLC coatings are in the 3000 HV range.

TiCN coating can be in the 4000 HV range. The color is gray to bronze.

TiAlN coating can be in the 4500 HV range. The color can be Black to bronze, if the Al percent is adjusted to give a redish bronze color, the microhardness is in around 3300 HV. It's preferred by the "black" watch industry because the coating is typically thicker. the titanium coatings (TiCN, TiN, TiAlN, etc) are typically 3 to 4 micrometers thick, DLC coatings are around 5 micrometers thick.....

If you are a motorcyclist you may be familiar with these treatments.

Ducati TiN coated forks:

$_1.JPG

KTM TiAIN coated forks:

s1200_kayaba_factory_forks_kx125_6.jpg