Sign in to follow this  
markeym3

Oh No not another platinum paint mod.....

markeym3

Ok yes I know this has been done a million times , and thats a million times better than me I admit .

So a while ago I picked up here in M2M a regmariner no date for the missus , mechanical watches and my missus don't really mix well but she loves the watch so it's good she shares my enthusiasm.

The watch had been "modded" before but the paint was faded so I decided to have a quick bash at the paint mod.

The paint I used was from a show car paint I did for Mercedes, they have been using this for maybe 5 years but now it is available as a paint option on there cars for a ££££'s upgrade also it is a really bright silver with incredibly fine media it seemed more akin to the platinum paint.

In Germany we call it alubeam , it is a very piss thin paint with a good coverage usally sprayed over 3000 wet sanded substrate as it shows absolutely any mark.

So I thought it would be good to try on a watch bezel.

The usual prep remove all traces of the old paint unless the paint is in good nick then just leave it there ..

You can "blob" this paint on and fill up the markers as the paint dries and the solvents evaporate it leaves a coating inside the marker ,

Then when completely dry you can scrape away the excess .. ok I was a bit quick just wanted to see how it looked so I may re do at some point.

But it looks ok , these are a few pics of the result , I know it could be better but wanted to see if it gave that deeper impression visible on the side walls of the makers..

20160719_084516_zpskbaiulqu.jpg

20160719_084434_zpslyo7wlsu.jpg

20160719_084420_zpsijddosxx.jpg

20160719_084406_zpspynlh09p.jpg

This was a car I used this paint on a few years ago now , it looks better in the daylight

2013-Minneapolis-Auto-Show-Mercedes-CLA-Concept-car_zpsb2at1tm0.jpg

Genius

Good effort! Id probably go as far as saying that's the best bezel engraving I've seen on a Regmariner

markeym3

Good effort! Id probably go as far as saying that's the best bezel engraving I've seen on a Regmariner

You know the funny thing is , it is not that deep , I am sure the paint helped a great deal to "pick out" the sides of the engravings ,

greg_r

Nice work, mate.

markeym3

Nice work, mate.

Thank you . as I said it was a bit rushed so will try to do a better job..

GenTLe

Good job mate.

And that Mercedes is... :johng:

splke

really nice job

I will let you do mine ;o)

Genius

Can you do the platinum paint mod on mine please too..

It's a Z4 roadster would look fantastic in that colour

markeym3

Can you do the platinum paint mod on mine please too..

It's a Z4 roadster would look fantastic in that colour

Oh Yes I agree the shape of the Z4 would work well with the paint, it really is a massive ball ache to prepare and paint , it is not forgiving at all but the result are nice. I had a feeling when this paint became an option on new cars Mercedes were asking $10,000 , but now I would imagine it would have come down.