Sign in to follow this  
markeym3

Noob GMT bat man platinum paint mod...with pics ..

markeym3

Hi folks ,

Well I fell out of love for the Bat Man , why? well I'm not a big Rolex fan but you cannee take it away from Rolex that they do make a nice looking watch so when the Bat Man came on the scene I snapped up this Noob version from Toro.

A few months into having it and the GMT function went a bit tit's up , has to be my fault which i'm annoyed at because I do take care in setting all my watches.

So there it sat in the watch box , unloved , still working a treat albeit the GMT function not working, so a while ago I decided to freshen up the paint with a new white paint , as the original paint always looked a bit drab.

Out came the enamel and yes it did brighten it up but also filled up the cut outs , so into the box she went.

So today I opened the box up and picked up the GMT , feeling a bit sorry for it I decided to change the white paint for a Platinum finish, I have done this a few times in other threads here so was interested to see how the GMT would turn out.

Earlier thread

http://www.rwg.bz/bo...howtopic=121816

so out with the white paint , a pin and a wee bit of nail polish remover to help things along..

k6hCVtL.jpg

OK now all cleaned up..

The issue here is that the machining of the cut outs is a little rough, so as a result the paint will show these marks up.

It works better on a smoother surface or going over an already painted surface..

sGLnFL7.jpg

Now on with the paint , the alubeam , it is very thin but covers really well, you can blob it on ..

This is maximum you need to do , really it should be less paint than this, I only used more than usual because of the rough machining.

fiXe0NU.jpg

You can see as it is drying how the solvents evaporate and sinks into the cut outs.

AElb5dd.jpg

Now it is all dry you can scrape away the excess ..

EGY2Tdz.jpg

Because the paint is so thin , and is not forgiving at all it will show any uneven surface up,with this in mind it may need another coat to smooth things out a little.

but looks ok

Nice from far but far from nice .. :giggle:

Here is a couple of wristie's to try and show the effect ..

The overall effect is good , outside the numerals are brighter and the effect on the edges of the cut outs are more pronounced.

Cheers

DpCWmzl.jpg

DNqkHLb.jpg

qrQlswp.jpg

and a deep sea I sold a while back..

fIOOLyO.jpg

and my missus' Regmariner

5wHLRcV.jpg

Edited by markeym3

nunu78

nice attempt , i believe after another try you will be perfect.

markeym3

nice attempt , i believe after another try you will be perfect.

Thanks , it's a shame the cut outs were a little rough , I didn't want to apply too many coats because I still wanted to see the effect on the sides of the cut outs ,,

wqleow

Looks pretty darn good to me. What brand of alubeam silver paint do you use? And how do you get the excess off without scratching the bezel?

markeym3

Looks pretty darn good to me. What brand of alubeam silver paint do you use? And how do you get the excess off without scratching the bezel?

Thanks, The paint is a special effect paint, I first used this when I painted a show car for mercedes a few years ago , 042 or 047 is the code , and is now available at car paint suppliers , not really Halfrauds , more of a factors that supply to the trade.

The bezel is ceramic so I just used a blade to scrape it away , however I am aware that some Bat Man models have a painted bezel so of course this will create problems.

Nikosaldente

Another paint mod well done!

Now I know how you did the Platinum paint mod on my DSSD!

IMG_20161108_154240_zpsliw80fgq.jpg

Nice tutorial Marc!

deju

I have to do this on my gen 16570 all the time.... never had a problem with the bezel paint coming off on my noob 216570

Go figure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

onzenuub
For a better effect, paint the engraving white, then top coat with a clear with micro pearl added. You can get it at an art supply store.

http://www.dickblick...rl-ex-pigments/

Great addition, mate. Good to see you around!

Are you looking for a watch repair guy? :lol:

10:10 Watch Repair
For a better effect, paint the engraving white, then top coat with a clear with micro pearl added. You can get it at an art supply store.

I refer all my leads to Mike McNair

markeym3

It is hard to show the effect in my pics , but in daylight the effect is really good, The paint you are talking about I am familiar with , it is a basic 3 stage pearl, we use this on cars too , a base white , then a pearl which has a low opacity then a top clearcoat , the effect being that the light reflects back through the pearl effect ,, its a nice effect , but in this case the paint seems to give a more of a fine platinum effect with light changes (fliptone) on the side walls..but thanks for the website ..

10:10 Watch Repair

The effect should be white in most lights, and silver at certain angles when it's reflecting.

For comparison, here is a GMT with micro pearl. It's two stage, with a suspension of pearl in clear for the topcoat. Topcoating that would make it look less like the deposited platinum.

E3D8599D-E39F-45C3-B1E6-C9BB18061E7F-337-000000C790BCF735_zpsad2d9ee9.jpg

D39E44EB-4E4F-44F6-9862-B99A8C43C75D-610-000000512189E647_zps6d1a6fe8.jpg

7E355E31-EB1D-48F2-9C5A-359053580946-610-00000051391D1FC2_zpsad27b530.jpg

DR3M3L

I refer all my leads to Mike McNair

Ah, good. He must be spoiled with work though as I didn't see him around for..... quite a while :lol:

Mr_B

I just re-did my GMT using your technique (removing white paint first) it looks a lot better, thanks