Sign in to follow this  
NCRich

Why the latest version of a sub doesn't excite me.

NCRich

After doing this for a while I admit that watching the slavering and drooling by members toward whatever version is out this week is amusing. I was noticing a M2M sales thread for a new version of the "best" "latest" 1:1 version of the LV sub by BP factory (on another board). The reason I don't pay attention anymore is because of these pics. One is the $300 latest LV and the other is a $49 RWG Timeshop special from 2011 that has been worn to death. The TS sub has had a $14 Clark insert installed.

gO2f0NU.jpg?2

uzrAJ6P.jpg

mXTRs4K.jpg

OqGjVE7.jpg?1

CL56boK.jpg?1

llrQuV6.jpg

The glaring obvious differences don't excite me.

greg_r

Makes the point rather well, I think :)

narikaa

Never understood it myself

If the minutia has you pacing the floorboards at night with worry

BUY THE FOOKING GEN ------- and get over it

It's a mid range tool watch that a scrote on benefits could finance

Kleen™

Looks identical to me...so much dicking around with bollox details...

anfalas

Couldn't agree more........it's not enough to justify is it.........

BadPickle
:thud:

KarmaToBurn
:throwingmoney:

nunu78

To me TC is also looks the same or at least identical to that BP sub.

kosmic

I bought a gen Sub date in 2011 in London for £5230 new. Hardly ever wore it as it doesn't feel special - the reps are so good. Just sold it to a reputable UK watch dealer for £5100..

Left Coast Guy

I don't know.....I find myself somewhere in the middle.

I'm not terribly picky and I'm by no means the type that must-have the latest version, but if we're talking about $270 on M2M for a used V5/V6 vs. $70 for a cheapie, even a good cheapy......i guess I just don't care about $200 that much, I'm going for the used V5/V6. Its a small marginal cost, and at least somewhat observable marginal benefit.

The only thing for me is that once you start getting to $600/$700 for a rep, I'd just rather buy a low-end gen. There are plenty of cool cottage brands or vintage gens that I'd rather put my money towards.

dalboy

I'm not terribly picky and I'm by no means the type that must-have the latest version, but if we're talking about $270 on M2M for a used V5/V6 vs. $70 for a cheapie, even a good cheapy......i guess I just don't care about $200 that much, I'm going for the used V5/V6. Its a small marginal cost, and at least somewhat observable marginal benefit.

The only thing for me is that once you start getting to $600/$700 for a rep, I'd just rather buy a low-end gen. There are plenty of cool cottage brands or vintage gens that I'd rather put my money towards.

Whilst i agree with Rich's sentiments i cannot disagree with this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Dal.

NCRich

Whilst i agree with Rich's sentiments i cannot disagree with this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Dal.

So you are firmly on the fence on this issue? It is good to see you take a stand. :lol:

dalboy

Dal.

So you are firmly on the fence on this issue? It is good to see you take a stand. :lol:

Fence !............................... Me !

Give me a shout if you feel a strong wind :lol:

NCRich

The other issue is that you all jumped up to a $70 rep, not $50. That TS RWG special is incredibly well built. It has a sapphire crystal with etching, the rehaut engravings line up, inside the case back and between the lugs have the correct engravings, it has a brass movement ring and the 2813 has lasted over 5 years. The Clark insert snapped in like a gen with no glue. Heck you could get the ETA for about $100.

Most $75 sub reps today are total shit. You would have to pay $150 to get a 2813 built like this $49 rep and then it probably isn't.

RepGuy

I know what you mean... The new sub being built by the USA really isn't doing it for me :lol:

uss-minnesota-construction-1200x800_zpsp5iwwd1f.jpg

NCRich

Now get off my lawn!

deju

Even as a gen it would struggle to excite me ...

You have some amazing vintage builds that would excite me more than a Gen.

Vintage builds are awesome because done right it's a craft of love and skill...

Done wrong then it's sold on RG haha