Sign in to follow this  
Verve

Hello from a little island across the pond (plus a few pics of my reps)

Verve

Hi All

Hope everyone reading is in good health.

First time seriously exploring the rep world and would like to give a big thumbs up to the forum runners and contributors. I will surely be making the donation towards the forum after a little bit time here and taking the plunge so not here for consuming free advice and then buzzing off.

The two reps below were purchased by my father from Taiwan between 1996 and 1999.

Sub was for <$300 and the other for around $500. According to the seller, this is real gold although I've never bothered to have this verified. Also we were told that the frames & straps are genuine and the mechanism is Japanese, and that the only way to identify these being counterfeits would be to open them up - but that was a claim and I have not had anyone had a real detailed look at these.

Both watches have been through a lot of wrist time over past 17+ years - the gold one was taken in an armed robbery and recovered eventually and then my brother gifted it to me. Sub was dropped a few times and eventually something snapped within - it was repaired by a watchsmith in Hong Kong but it takes good 20 minutes of wild shaking to get it going since the repair. Gold one (sorry, don't even know the series name yet for that!) is very smooth and gets going as soon as it is on the wrist.

Rolex shop had a look at the Sub back in 2002 when I walked in to check another. It passed the visual inspections of the sales person it seemed as he gave it a good clean as well. Those days there was a 3+ months wait on these in this part of EU.

Pics are not good but here we go ...

32044236532_1683ab7b69_c.jpg

This 'gold' one is my favourite, it is such a comfortable watch to wear! Very well balanced!

32192544915_82729a6285_c.jpg

32192547405_96a1dc075a_c.jpg

31817372350_5dd1a46149_c.jpg

32192551715_5962a75fae_c.jpg

So that's my modest rep collection. Looking to add a few more to it and have narrowed down to:

1. Patek 5711 (with blue or white dial or both!) - this is just a fantastic looking watch

2. Breitling Navitimer with white dial and SS strap - had an original with brown strap but it has done a runner (cousin borrowed and yet to return)

3. Rolex Datejust and Masterpiece, 1 each for the Mrs

So far I've been going through Trusty's site, videos on some really help.

Got loads more to read before asking silly questions.

Thanks for reading.

V

Mr_B

I'm pretty sure it's not real gold. Looks good though, welcome

Atlanticblue

Welcome! I'm on a little island across the pond too lol. Those rolex reps look very decent especially considering most reps were pretty poor 20 years ago!

Wriggles

And you'll be certain that the case and bracelets arent gen Rolex with a Jap movement at the price paid. Poetic license on the part of the seller!

Does it matter? Not a bit, if you've enjoyed them for this long then who cares

Welcome to the nuthouse. Your wallets fucked now :)

purger72

Good read, reps look good. Welcome and Im sure once you get few reps you will build up decent collection in a very short time .. enjoy your time here.

TKO

It was interesting to read your post; welcome and enjoy the ride.

Verve

Thank you for the welcome guys :)

And you'll be certain that the case and bracelets arent gen Rolex with a Jap movement at the price paid. Poetic license on the part of the seller!

Does it matter? Not a bit, if you've enjoyed them for this long then who cares

Welcome to the nuthouse. Your wallets fucked now :)

Yeah it doesn't matter at all, thoroughly enjoyed wearing both even though they are pretty battered. And dad had paid for these so all good. He picked up some amazingly well machined watches for himself over the many years of his company travels to Taiwan from the same seller and those look absolutely brand new to date. I'll take some pics of those when I get to see him later this year.

There was a TAG he got me earlier than the Sub but the strap colour turned on it within a year and seller had said it wasn't real SS and will turn ($100 that was) - oddly the dial was SS so that wasn't affected. These two along with another 'gold mix' rolex eldest brother wears (that one dates back to 1996 as well) have had no absolutely no discolourations of any kind since they were purchased. Maybe these are the super reps of the 90s - who knows.

Wallet is already shaking ... especially by the bling ones Mrs wants!! A stud loaded Patek 5711 for $700+ ... yes, it's shaking alright

Edited by Verve

dalboy

Welcome to RWG ..

Firstly , it won't be gold nor will any of the parts be genuine .

As for the tell tale signs being only upon examination of the movement , not so .... Once you have been here a while and read a lot of the info available you will know what signs to look for .

That said , ignorance is bliss and these two have served you well for over a decade , that in its self is worth the money paid .

Now your here I'd suggest making friends with the bank manager, he will come in handy on your journey into reps , after all ..... You have to eat !!

Dal

elp

Great intro, glad to have you in our collection of nutcases :)

Verve

Welcome! I'm on a little island across the pond too lol. Those rolex reps look very decent especially considering most reps were pretty poor 20 years ago!

Pond buddies :) ... Thanks for the welcome. Do we have any watchsmiths from our little island on the forum? Want to get this Sub fixed.

Verve

Welcome to RWG ..

As for the tell tale signs being only upon examination of the movement , not so .... Once you have been here a while and read a lot of the info available you will know what signs to look for .

That said , ignorance is bliss and these two have served you well for over a decade , that in its self is worth the money paid .

Now your here I'd suggest making friends with the bank manager, he will come in handy on your journey into reps , after all ..... You have to eat !!

Dal

Thanks Dal. There is a lot of knowledge here so going to take my time understanding it. Although I'm really tempted to press the trigger on the blue face Patek 5711 .. better hold that and check more TD's sites as one is charging nearly $200 more so not sure why such a large price gap.

Might be begging on the street if Mrs gets too much exposure to this. Realising my mistake by showing her just Trusty's site today !!

dalboy

Welcome to RWG ..

Dal

Thanks Dal. There is a lot of knowledge here so going to take my time understanding it. Although I'm really tempted to press the trigger on the blue face Patek 5711 .. better hold that and check more TD's sites as one is charging nearly $200 more so not sure why such a large price gap.

Might be begging on the street if Mrs gets too much exposure to this. Realising my mistake by showing her just Trusty's site today !!

You showed the missus !!!

Have you given leave of your senses ??

Price differences can be a number of reasons , maker, movement type , version .. etc .

Reading will help you and trust me there is an answer to just about every question you have , and if there isn't......... Just ask !

Happy hunting mate , sounds like your bank manager is the missus ..

Dal

Verve

Welcome to RWG ..

Dal

You showed the missus !!!

Have you given leave of your senses ??

Price differences can be a number of reasons , maker, movement type , version .. etc .

Reading will help you and trust me there is an answer to just about every question you have , and if there isn't......... Just ask !

Happy hunting mate , sounds like your bank manager is the missus ..

Dal

Gosh, if she managed the finances we'd be in big trouble. But a financial audit once in a while is not an unusual occurrence lol - it's more like publishing annual financial statement to the shareholders :)

Thanks for the pointers. Spotted one having SW201 movement and the other Miyota 9015. Maybe that is driving the price difference. Will get used to this type of product variance analysis with time.

trailboss99

The TT looks to be gold wrapped links at least.

BTW this is a UK based board so not really across from anywhere.

RUSH2112

I wasn't sure which island the op was on.

Verve

UK based is even better. Donation is in $ so aasumed that it was US based without having a dig around.

As for the links, you may be right. It's a softer metal and I've managed to scratch it by usual wear in many places without another colour showing under. The link on the main frame (sorry, not got the hang of correct terminology for the parts yet) has been dented from an impact.

Maybe it's a certain thickness layer of this metal on top of SS/? infill. Perhaps I should take it a local jewelers for a test. Not that it matters but I'm kinda intrigued now.

Verve

Started having a bit more detailed look at the 2. It's overcast out but gave the pics another shot to get your views on these.

Black spots in the 'gold' are odd. Dad told me a fix for those. If I take a pencil rubber and work on them for some time, they do come off. It was a lot worse a few years back so cleaned this area only once. There's a deep scratch near 9 that's gone black inside, this one is difficult to clean and kinda reluctant to use any sharp tool on it. Another odd thing is that these spots are only on this area and none on the strap.

32208443705_2783d1bf1a_z.jpg

31366965954_c075550ba3_z.jpg

31832673380_ca087a5b65_z.jpg

32089836121_c5e6d66424_z.jpg

31398485043_a00b3d53b0_c.jpg

Battered Sub: After it was repaired, it was no longer water resistant and moisture got in. Glass is not scratched at all on the outside, it's got dust and water vapour marks on the inside.

31832668090_abf3e6a924_c.jpg

31366953994_a678416baf_z.jpg

32089830691_dabe207358_c.jpg

31366961404_2fdc5099c0_c.jpg

32208414685_dd9539de13_z.jpg