Sign in to follow this  
MikeMcNair

A7750 w/ seconds at 3

MikeMcNair

so, i have been working on this turkey for a guy from another forum for a while and just decided to post some neat pix.

the watch came to me with a broken movement, the hands fallen off, the strap DEAD, it was FILTHY, and to make things even better, the DW bezel was floating around inside the crystal.

upon closer inspection, the 2 faux screws on the dial holding the chrono/seconds bezels on were actually gone. sure enough, i found them INSIDE the movement. needless to say, this watch was TRASH!!!!!!!!!!

so, i have taken the last 2 months (most of which i was waiting for parts) and began restoring it to its natural beauty.

it was so bad, that at one point i actually packed it up and redied it to send it off. i packed it in the actual order each part goes in, to make it easier on the next guy.

but after sourcing a new movement i decided to replace it. now, this was not ust a MVMNT swap, since the customer wanted the black subdials on the new mvmnt, as opposed to the (correct) silver ones. (stupid if you ask me, but whatever)

so i have been tinkering with the following.....

keep in mind, this movement comes out the FRONT of the watch, not the back, so its a little different to work on :couchbeer:

this is basically how i got it.......

508e7d51.jpg

screws stuck in mvmnt......

fe5c42db.jpg

and of course the workspace (before i built my new workbench specifically for working on watches and firearms, its taylored for just that, and is totally clutch!!)

this was when i was ready to give up, before finding a working mvmnt to swap parts over too.........

ef993851.jpg

notice the dials datewheel bezel is not there (and i think this pic has no screws on it either.......

94c49bfc.jpg

here is the finished dial.......

0778cf53.jpg

here are the 2 movements. the silver one being the new (accurate to gen) one, the black one being the donor for the date/second/and chrono wheels.........

d33e4093.jpg

here is the refurbed PVD case, notice how its black where the crystal seats? yeah, it was BROWN with dirt!!!!

d10b004c.jpg

bezel and crystal looked like shit when i got them, as did the nylon O-Ring that seals the case once the bezel/crystal assembly is in....

8f6adc63.jpg

393acb45.jpg

here is a pic of my workspace for THIS watch (each watch has its own space, its pretty bad ass)

things to note: the tape on the bezel knife (helps from scratching the case, and works very well) the glue for the crystal and the DW bezel and faux screws is indeed the UV glue (that actually sets better when exposed to light) and my home made dial protector for when i am pulling the hands off (business card, no need to spend 10 bucks on the bergeun (sp) one)

3b144ad0.jpg

the leather was RIPPED at the lugs (spring bar) and absolutely useless. but i have a special trick and now, it works like new :thumbsup:

9c803d7a.jpg

so, i will have to swap the black wheels on the new movement, and finish her up and get some good pix. while i hate the 7750, i have had some help when questions came up and was lucky enough to find good guys on here etc to help, so thank you all, you know who you are.

more to come!!!

kan3

Wow looks like someone had rapped that watch and sent it fix it back. And wow so many small parts.

powderfreak

Good job, Mr. Watchsmith :couchbeer:

David543

I'm amazed that it was worth fixing..... I think after breaking the whole watch it would have been cheaper to source a new one!!!!!

Amazing work.

MikeMcNair

Thanks for the kind words guys!!

A whole new one would have been much cheaper, but this dude what's HIS watch, so I can't argue.

Here are pix of 2 of my work benches....

b7288e8d.jpg

02eaef0a.jpg

I have a snap on tool box that is 6' wide and 8' tall with the stainless top (work space) but that's more for firearms. I prefer a wooden surface and a cloth of some sort as the parts have a tiny magnetic charge and SS tends to attract the tiny screws.

MikeMcNair

so, we got her running well and all back together. had to replace all the wheels (date, seconds, and chrono) to the black, cause customer didnt want the silver.

http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f26/mich...nt=8838314d.mp4

also updated the lettering on the back WITHOUT PAINT ;) its a secret ...

before...

0ffe2fcc.jpg

after.....

22298c17.jpg

KeNnY

mike is secret Watch maker !!!! Amazing Mike !!!

MikeMcNair
mike is secret Watch maker !!!! Amazing Mike !!!

thanks ken, this was the biggest bitch in the world. BUT, its done and shipped home now (as of today) so i got 2 more done, and had 3 more come in.

at this point, i have 9 on the bench in need of service. (i love the work, but they are coming in faster than i can get them out, yikes!!)

nunu78

Hi Mike,gr8 work mate,a question for you .How good these 7750,seconds@3 movts are.Ive got one GC 17 tag as well n itz second is quite temperamental apart from tht, watch is gr8.

MikeMcNair

If that's the ONLY issue, I can fix that as I have new seconds wheel sitting right here ( and every other part you could possibly need for THAT watch)

But in all honesty, it's a terror to work on. The 7750 alone sucks IMO, and add the seconds at 3 and it just gets too complicated.

Now, having been playing with this one for 2 months I know it in and out, so if ya need help with something let me know, I can walk ya through it.

Warning: the movement comes out through the FRONT, not the back, so if you try to service it yourself leave the back on until it's time to take out the crown.

Cheers.

nunu78
If that's the ONLY issue, I can fix that as I have new seconds wheel sitting right here ( and every other part you could possibly need for THAT watch)

But in all honesty, it's a terror to work on. The 7750 alone sucks IMO, and add the seconds at 3 and it just gets too complicated.

Now, having been playing with this one for 2 months I know it in and out, so if ya need help with something let me know, I can walk ya through it.

Warning: the movement comes out through the FRONT, not the back, so if you try to service it yourself leave the back on until it's time to take out the crown.

Cheers.

Thnx alot mate,no i cant even think about doing nething with the watch myself.thank u once again.