Sign in to follow this  
Mattwah

Repairing reps in Australia

Mattwah

Hi I have a rep i got given from a friend in Bali, a nice Omega rep, not expensive, but i am keencto keep it, but it has started stopping suddenly, or running fast , maybe an issue with the poer reserve. id like to get it repaired, or even a new movement in stalled. is there somene in australia who cancdo this?

Matt

fletch1971
Hi I have a rep i got given from a friend in Bali, a nice Omega rep, not expensive, but i am keencto keep it, but it has started stopping suddenly, or running fast , maybe an issue with the poer reserve. id like to get it repaired, or even a new movement in stalled. is there somene in australia who cancdo this?

Matt

Good question Matt as I would like to know the answer as well. I am located in Melbourne.

Cheers

fletch1971

What about rseaVintage in the mods and more section of the trusted dealer area? I noticed they are located in Australia and make rep vintage pam's. Do they also service and repair watches?

graman

Talk to Offshore mate...he may be able to help you.

offshore

The main reason it is difficult to get reps worked on here, is the complete lack of spare parts!

Invariably you get started on a job to find a part is needed, and then it must be reassembled for return and no payment!

The cost of replacement movements in Oz is very high, and there are now more and more brands and models to deal with.

Even if you find a 'smith who is prepared to have a go, he will soon become disillusioned and not take on more work.

Commercially its not good work, so you need someone who is doing it for the hobby

I think that has been reflected to some degree in other countries as well.

Offshore.

I see G'man posted while I was! Dunno if thats the help they want G!

Mattwah

thanks guys for all your responses guys... happy to explore all options... if i can identify the movement, bit of a noob, but i suspect its be a 21j, can i just import the movement myself cheaply and then ask a watchmaker to install and service for me?

the watch has 3 subdials, one of which is a non functioning chrono, another 1-31 date dial, another a mon- sun day dial

Again, thatns for all ur responses, loving this forum... 4 weeks into this obsession amd have one gen ordered, 2 reps recieved and one more on the way, lol. 20 years since i last wore a watch...

Matt

Member X

Post some pics of the front and the back (with the back off if you can get it off) and I'm sure we can identify it :lol:

Mattwah

thanks, will post, yep back comes off, ill have it back early next week from a local jewellery store who definately cant repair it...

Phanphy

I'm based in Melbourne and found a guy out in fountain gate who's happy to work with reps, reasonably priced too. But it's pretty far out even for me! My sub's crown isn't engaging when setting the time :(

Jooster

I have used Archie's in Dandenong. Bit slow but good service