Sign in to follow this  
Caliper

A. Lange & Sohne Lange 1 Review

Caliper

Hello,

Time to review something other than a Tag Heuer :dingleberry-nemesis:

Got this one from Robert, top notch service from him.

The Lange 1 is currently the flagship model of A. Lange & Sohne, powered by their in house L901.1 manually wound movement with an over 450 parts complication, and their called patented "outsize date", this, being two big and legible date wheels with a 66 part complication just for the date wheels.

The watch is unique by having the hours in a big subdial at 9 instead of the traditional whole dial, running seconds at 5 and power reserve indicator for approximately 72h in the right. There's a pusher at 10 that's a quick date adjuster.

Interesting thing about the dial setup is that the subdials hands and datewheel all align in a grid pattern, must be something about the way the movement components are aligned.

The gen is a small and slim dress watch by itself with a 38.5mm width and 10mm height.

Gen pics:

Notice how the hands, roman numbers and datewheel all align in a sort of symmetry within it's asymmetry with each other along the grid.

101025.jpg101025_LG_1.jpg101025b.jpg

One can speak for hours about the subtle and wonderful things about the gen and understand why it's worth between 25-50k, but we're here to see the rep.

----------------------------------

The rep is bigger than the gen with a 42.5mm and 18mm height width.

Lange1-02.jpg

There's no running seconds at 5, the dial and reserve indicator are non functional.

The pusher at 10 does not work as a quick date adjuster, they just move the decorative running seconds dial and power reserve indicator.

Lange1-03.jpg

Lange1-05.jpg

Naturally, an in house movement like the L901.1 can not be repped, so a 21j movement is fitted and the see trough caseback sadly shows the 21J rather than the L901.1.

The caseback also shows some extra engraved numbers, must be lottery numbers or somethings.

Lange1-06.jpg

The rotor has "SAX-O-MAT" engraving which is just plain wrong, they belong to the Saxonia line, not the Lange 1. In fact, there shouldn't even be a rotor in there.

Lange1-07.jpg

Of course, there also no patented outsize date, so a typical asian hypermetropic datewheel is used instead.

Lange1-04.jpg

The guilloche soleil pattern on the subdials are well done and attractive to look at.

Lange1-10.jpg

The crown is poorly made with an almost ilegible brand etched as well as a sad etching on the clasp instead of having them engraved.

Lange1-09.jpg

Lange1-08.jpg

There is no grid pattern symmetry like the gen.

badgrid.jpg

No Lume, the Gen has no lume either.

Lange1-11.jpg

Lange1-12.jpg

Now, don't think I'm bashing this watch, Roberts description was exact, I love the looks of this watch and will get a lot of wrist time, unless you take your watch off is hard to tell it's a rep aside from no outsize date, I doubt regular joe smoe will look at that, no running seconds or take a grid pattern to measure your dial symmetry. :facepalm:

The watch is very beautiful and you could expect nothing more out of a 20-50k watch rep worth 129 bucks. :woo:

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Caliper

KeNnY

nice thanks :dingleberry-nemesis: a kinda like the rotor on this , but modified hand wind movement would be nicer :facepalm:

Jannis76

Good job mate!!

Well done + very well said!!

Cheers Jannis

Caliper
nice thanks :dingleberry-nemesis: a kinda like the rotor on this , but modified hand wind movement would be nicer :facepalm:

I feel the same, a see trough caseback with a rotor gives it some kind of personality although some watch purist feel that a rotor blocks the beauty of an in house movement to be seen.

Anyway, if they were going to add a rotor they would've rep the Lange 1 daymatic instead.

Lange-Daymatic-41.jpg

Thanks Jannis76

gtwc

Great review and great pics.

Love the watch - my only bugbear would be the lack of running secs.

Wear & enjoy !

honeybear

I was considering getting this exact model, thanks for the hands on review.

One question about ordering from Robert, is it acceptable to ask him for QC photos, and timing plots, or will that get me on his black list?

Corv99

nice!!

alw

Lange was the first rep I bought in 2006. Awful piece of junk I managed to get rid of soon after.

SeanusMaximus
nice!!

Seconded, same as your new display pic mate hahahahaha :unsure: